Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is more a scavenger hunt for stuff you don't know.

On the back of a Pepsi can sits the words: "Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine." If you know what that junk is, you probably are a chemist or have the inability to process it (also discussed in the article).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenylalanine

It's interesting stuff. Apparently, it's an amino acid, an antidepressant, and is found in the breast milk of mammals.

Just because you can't pronounce it doesn't necessarily mean it's bad for you. I just don't want to be the guy who has to balance equations that involve its formula. That would be bad for my mental health.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Olduvai Gorge
There is always more to learn about this incredible place. Although, it's well known the Wikipedia absolutely is not a credible source. At least, I hope it's well-known...
It's obviously inappropriate to cite in a research paper or the like, but for general knowledge on stuff where perfection isn't crucial, it is a good place to learn things. Wikipedia is a lot more accurate than it used to be, because they now have editors checking up on things all the time. So, for our purposes, it's fine to use it, but obviously don't repeat what it says when someone needs information in more than a casual manner. Google is your friend--if you're not sure, look it up somewhere else.

Oh, and by the way, guys: keep this stuff PG-13 or so. Neh?

Reactions: Audrey

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Going with the wiki walk, one thing kind of links the three things so far: Piper refractorium is usable as a spice, phenylalanine (which is actually pretty easy to pronounce, compared to say, paradimethylaminobendaldihyde) makes cinnamic acid and is used tomake aspartame. Finally, olduvai gorge is in tanzania, which used to be known as the spice capital of the world.

Of course, the coolest thing I ever found on a wiki walk was The Bloop, which apparently occurred not far away from R'leyh where cthulu himself lay....

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
This is more a scavenger hunt for stuff you don't know.

On the back of a Pepsi can sits the words: "Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine." If you know what that junk is, you probably are a chemist or have the inability to process it (also discussed in the article).

Phenylalanine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's interesting stuff. Apparently, it's an amino acid, an antidepressant, and is found in the breast milk of mammals.

Just because you can't pronounce it doesn't necessarily mean it's bad for you. I just don't want to be the guy who has to balance equations that involve its formula. That would be bad for my mental health.
It's pronounced fen-ul-AL-a-neen

There are so many natural highs, you just have to know how to get these fun amines flowing...

I like this one. But there are so many. Some cool proteins, too, like NGF.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Hmm. Last Wiki-walk I went on, I started with United Fruit Company, and wound up at Depedency theory. (Short walk, only three hops total.) Dependency theory looks like a pretty interesting theory of economic development, but I'm wondering how much evidence there is to back it up. Or, really, how much evidence there is to back up *any* theory of economic development....

Also, for Christmas, I go a WikiReader :) $15, and I spent ~$20 to upgrade it. Both Wikipedia and Project Gutenberg in a convenient pocket-size gadget, perfect for any time-traveler. (Except very long articles like "Adolph Hitler" get truncated to save space >.> Great, an entry on every single episode of MLP:FIM, but nothing on Hitler's life past the beginning of WWII or so. That could be very annoying, for a time-traveler....)

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
The Business Plot

The "business plot" was a planned coup d'état by several wealthy industrialists, including Prescott Bush (George W. Bush's grandfather) to overthrow FDR in 1933 and install a fascist regime. The most interesting thing to me isn't the article itself, but the fact that over the past several years, someone has frequently edited the page to remove any and all references to the Bush involvement.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Just got off of a wikipedia jump around. Here are the jumps in list...

Hume's philosophy
Immanuel Kant
Idealism
Transcendentalism
Emerson
Induvidualist philosophy/free thinkers

Now the next couple of jumps started to get dark and I looked at the wikis just to try to get into the mind of this man.

Marquis De Sade
Sade in popular culture
Sade's 120 days of Sodom (A quite sick piece of fiction. Amazing insight into humanity's dark side though. If you think fiction today is tasteless in subject matter, this guy has it beaten, to an extreme, by a good few hundred years. You may have heard of the same titled movie from the 70s based off this book.)

After being a bit disgusted by De Sade, I finished off by reading on the movement that he took to extremes called Libertinism.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts