Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working for a sports company as a trainer. Last day while practicing weightlifting, my neck sprained. I tried ice bag for 3 days but no change was seen. After that, I tried exercises using youtube videos. But I couldn't find any difference in that. Since I am training my students for the upcoming event I want to recover from this as soon as possible. Well, when I spoke about this to my friend, he suggested undergoing a chiropractic treatment. He also added that there are chiropractic services in Toronto. I have taken appointment there to see the chiropractors. I want to know in detail about the chiropractic treatment.
Will this treatment take time for curing? I want to know whether the one-time treatment will be enough for the retrieval from the sprained neck? How frequently should I take this treatment? Is this an expensive treatment? Is there any side effect for the treatment?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I would recommend that people never go to a chiropractor. Can you name any top universities with an accredited chiropractic degree? There simply isn't one because chiropractors are not evidence based. Physical therapy is however, and can be found at the University of Southern California (USC), Northwestern, penn State Univ, etc. You are more likely to sustain injuries or develop more by going to a chiropractor.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I've been to good chiropractors and bad chiropractors. The good ones don't overestimate what they can accomplish and are good diagnosticians. The bad ones just injure people. It can be really scary for the neck, especially if the neck is already injured. I would not recommend chiro for a neck injury. The chiros say it's very rare, but this thing happened to me on a chiropractor's table. I have chronic neck injuries from a lifetime of physical trauma. A chiropractor who I really like and would still see if she had not retired was adjusting my neck one time. She would get me into a particular position while lying on my back on the table, and then turn my head to one side gently, rocking it back and forth a little until she would suddenly snap it hard in the opposite direction. One time after a treatment I was talking to her office manager, who is a woman I have known since childhood. She looked intently into my eyes and asked, "Are you dizzy?" I admitted that I was and she shouted out at high volume, "L___!!! HE'S DIZZY!!!" They carefully walked me back to the treatment room where L___ gently did a second adjustment on my neck and then I was no longer dizzy.

I had heard of this before but I trust L___ so much and have a long relationship with her, so I would let her do this to me. It did provide some relief. But after that time, I did not allow her to adjust my neck again. The issue is there is an artery that can get stretched over a bone in the neck and can cause a hemorrhage that can be fatal. The chiropractic community says it is very rare, but it happened to me. The chiro I go to now does not work on my neck at all and he's more gentle than most... certainly more gentle than Lynn, who used to jump on me to adjust my lower back because she is small.

The only person I allow to touch my neck is my cranio-sacral therapist, who is extraordinarily gentle and doesn't move my head.

No chiropractor will ever touch my neck again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts