Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have a curious mind; I love ideas; I enjoy the big picture; blah, blah, blah . . .

I just have one question disturbing the hell out of me: Given my job-hopping and constantly changing pursuits, how am I ever going to have a meaningful life? I'm an engineer who turned to writing/editing because he felt he had a natural talent for it, but I'm not interested in improving anymore. A big reason for that is that writers are not well respected and are very poorly paid, something I take as personal insult. I also fear that soon artificial intelligence will begin to produce writing and I'll be useless. I'm now planning to shift to computer programming, but what if I get bored with that also? I love math but am not very good at it, and worst of all, not persistent. And given my hatred of stupidity and repetition, I'll never make a teacher.

Please help me sort out my head.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Takes a while to find your calling. I try to keep myself occupied with projects for the fun of it. If you are interested in writing, write til you get bored of it. then write some more. whatever it is, make sure you are doing it at least 30 minutes a day. If you can handle it you might want to make a career out of it. For the mean time do it as a side project, then if you have the tenacity to keep doing it switch over. I feel that INTPs can be good at anything if they put their minds to it, the hard part for us is keeping interest.

I try to keep occupied with writing, video editing, gaming, programming, blogging, and those type of things. So far I find that I like programming a lot, i have a natural tenacity for tedious work. While i find it boring I am able to suppress my emotional response to it and push forward. Whatever it is make sure you can do it daily, it's not natural for us to make goals that way but its the only way we can find out what we really like. Our minds like to dabble into subjects until we understand them and get bored so keep pushing forward and go with what your heart desires.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Our minds like to dabble into subjects until we understand them and get bored so keep pushing forward and go with what your heart desires.
Isn't that kind of self-contradictory? Say I keep at programming until I've understood and/or mastered one or more technologies; wouldn't that be the end of it? Or do you mean to say that we are also (thankfully) not idiotic enough to throw away a good career even if we are bored?

·
Registered
162 Posts
“The only absolute knowledge attainable by man is that life is meaningless.”
― Leo Tolstoy, A Confession

So, do whatever your responsobilities require and have shitloads of fun on the side?

Isn't that kind of self-contradictory? Say I keep at programming until I've understood and/or mastered one or more technologies; wouldn't that be the end of it? Or do you mean to say that we are also (thankfully) not idiotic enough to throw away a good career even if we are bored?
I did a little programming myself and found it to be quite fun. Figuring out the simplest way to make a program do everything necessary, typing code after code, not compiling, oh wait, i need some brackets there, it compiles aaaaand it works.
I assume that programming professionaly is a bit more tedious and once you understand it, the challenge might be gone. But nothing will ever be exactly what you want it to be. There is no dreamjob, everything has it's pro's and cons.

What do you write? If you like to write, get working on a 'bigger' project? Write a novel? Write a story you always wanted told? Write about yourself. How many writers have writting about writers with writer's block? How often are those the stories about finding their goal, the love of their life or just about self-loathing.

You'll find a way, we - people - tend to do that

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But nothing will ever be exactly what you want it to be. There is no dreamjob, everything has it's pro's and cons.
I think that's really useful. Perhaps I need to understand--which I seem to fail at repeatedly--that fun and job seldom merge.

What do I write? Well, started with editing books and writing fiction. But of late I seem to hate writing fiction, except for an occasional piece of flash. I enjoy reading nonfiction and might even consider amassing knowledge of a particular area, but then I look at the opportunity cost and say, "To hell with it!".

·
Banned
1,220 Posts
I work as a programmer and I do get bored at a job after learning more about it. This has resulted in me learning a bunch of programming languages and a bunch of different systems.

Each new job is different depending on what kind of company you do work at. So there's more than one dimension to programming, there's different systems you build with different kinds of complexity.

I've come to terms with that I won't stay and get a gold watch at the same place, which actually is only a good thing in the long run.

But I don't share that Ne with you guys.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Do things that challenge you. Make changes if you get stuck in a rut, but also realize all jobs can get monotonous eventually.

For the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: 'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' And whenever the answer has been 'No' for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.Steve Jobs*Read more at*Steve Jobs Quotes - BrainyQuote

·
Banned
944 Posts
I've spent an enormous amount of time studying success principles from every source I could find and also thinking about how I could succeed more and wondering why I was such a huge loser in the past (I'm doing better now). I finally figured out THE answer just a few days ago. It's this: you have to be responsible. Being irresponsible makes you a failure. This is what my real problem was. You can't hop from job to job all the time. That's irresponsible. You have to stick with one thing for a long time and build on it. It's called persistence. Brian Tracy says it takes about ten years more or less before you become really great at something. Here are some things that comprise being responsible:

* doing what needs to be done even if you don't feel like it.
* persistence: sticking with something until you succeed
* discipline: getting work done every day. Discipline is hugely important.
* being honest
* keeping your promises & commitments
* working hard

As far as writing goes, most people suck in every field of business. 99.9% of the people in my own field suck. If you're one of the best writers, then you can make a great living. One time I saw a guy on youtube who owned a beach house in malibu, which has been one of my dreams. I asked him what he did for a living. He said he's a writer. If you're not making much money at writing, it means you're not doing it well enough and maybe not doing the types of writing that are the most lucrative. Also, writing is a business, and in business you have to think about what the customers like and give them what they like. You can't just disregard the customers, or else your sales will suck.

If you keep being the way you've been before, then you won't succeed in any career field.

Also you should work on creating passive income. If you have enough passive income then you won't even have to work and you can just do whatever you feel like. It's your ticket out of the rat race. I have a lot of passive income myself.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think that's really useful. Perhaps I need to understand--which I seem to fail at repeatedly--that fun and job seldom merge.

What do I write? Well, started with editing books and writing fiction. But of late I seem to hate writing fiction, except for an occasional piece of flash. I enjoy reading nonfiction and might even consider amassing knowledge of a particular area, but then I look at the opportunity cost and say, "To hell with it!".
Well, fun and jobs do merge. Hopefully they do atleast a little. Someone once told me that whatever you do should be atleast 80% fun. The 20% annoying part is a minimum you should learn to deal with. You could like the work itself, or the work could be okay, but you have nice colleagues, a nice atmosphere. I'm not working myself, but have had some summerjobs. The one I work at right now is bartending at a tea-room. The work is okay, sometimes a bit stressful, but the boss and colleagues are the reason I stay.

I'd love to be a better writer. I like to write and have shitloads of ideas. The problem with me is that I don't know how. I'm not consistent in my point of view, mix past and present and have too much nuances to mention that make my pieces annoying to read. But in the end I wrote something. Which makes me happy I guess, even though I barely get any responses on it.

Life isn't easy and nobody has al the answers. All you can do is reflect and act I suppose

·
Registered
137 Posts
Okay, I have a curious mind; I love ideas; I enjoy the big picture; blah, blah, blah . . .

I just have one question disturbing the hell out of me: Given my job-hopping and constantly changing pursuits, how am I ever going to have a meaningful life? I'm an engineer who turned to writing/editing because he felt he had a natural talent for it, but I'm not interested in improving anymore. A big reason for that is that writers are not well respected and are very poorly paid, something I take as personal insult. I also fear that soon artificial intelligence will begin to produce writing and I'll be useless. I'm now planning to shift to computer programming, but what if I get bored with that also? I love math but am not very good at it, and worst of all, not persistent. And given my hatred of stupidity and repetition, I'll never make a teacher.

I really hate making assumptions about certain careers. Whether they will yield good money or benfits etc.

Not because that A.I progams will have a writing capability and not because writers are KNOWN to be poor. It doesn't mean you're doomed. You have to develop and improve your skills enable to survive.

Point here is that if you specialized in ANY profisson and became compotent at it, and tried to improve it. There is a very big chance you are going to be successful.

It seems that our Ne, is constantly looking for perfection. But there is no such thing as a perfect job, but you may like or dislike your job.

Personally speakig, I don't tempted to make a switch. I was majoring in Economics and like to work in my field. But, I still have this problem of not knowing how can I utilize my degree to the optimum.

·
Registered
ENFp-Fi (OP: Ne/Te); 2w1; LEVF
1,153 Posts
What is it that the world needs that you want to offer?

Don't think in terms of "I like math, but...blah-blah-blah". Think: "The state requires electrical engineers to this, or that capacity, I'll go meet some of those guys and see if I could do that." "The school system sucks because teachers are retarded, they'd need me to help at least one kid." "This company might use my advertising services for a site and a commercial idea I composed. I'll contact them." "Humanity needs to understand this idea and I care about it more that making big money right now, I'll write a book to promote it." "Hospitals are running out of internists. I'll go to med school and take that spec." "No one wants to be a garbage man because the stigma around the profession, even though it's payed well. I wonder if I could do that." "Military needs engineers to build, fix and test fly planes. Would I mind doing that? What is the education for it?"

You're looking for ways to overlap your skill with the NEEDS of the world. You can go around finding yourself, wasting your time philosophizing and testing out whether you prefer math to biology, while time flies by and you loose the capacity you had in your twenties, or even thirties, depending on how long you wait.

The truth is that you can't know what is perfect. And you can't "find yourself". "You" are a combination of your choices, perception of the world and your conclusions. All of that changes and it's not something you "discover". It's something you grow into and turn yourself into.

So you can only make a best guess and hope you guessed well. But you better make your choice and move forward. Even if you fuck up and end up going back on it realizing you want something else, at least you did something. At least you learned something and you tried. You took steps that lead you on the right path eventually. You didn't just sit around excusing your laziness and lack of determination with not enjoying working for something, or working that job.
Not everyone is lucky enough to choose what they truly love and never have to work a day in their life. Chances are you'll have to work. So at least work on your terms as much as possible. Pick carefully and quickly.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I work as a programmer and I do get bored at a job after learning more about it. This has resulted in me learning a bunch of programming languages and a bunch of different systems.
Yes, I think that's a better way to look at it. Sure one gets bored with the same systems and languages, but the beauty of software is that it evolves at breakneck speed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: 'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' And whenever the answer has been 'No' for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.Steve Jobs*[/url]
Thank you, but I've always been a little skeptical of the Steve Jobs and "The Secret" stuff. I refuse to believe that more than a small percentage of the population succeeds in enjoying every day at work. Those that do are very, very lucky. That said, I'm always in the favor of judging your life, and if you are dissatisfied, making incremental changes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was such a huge loser in the past (I'm doing better now). I finally figured out THE answer just a few days ago. It's this: you have to be responsible. Being irresponsible makes you a failure. This is what my real problem was. You can't hop from job to job all the time. That's irresponsible. You have to stick with one thing for a long time and build on it.
Wow! This might be the best answer that came out of this discussion. Yes, I do believe being irresponsible has a lot to do with it. About time I grew up and started taking things a little more seriously, I suppose.

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts

Okay.

One question: How do you define a meaningful life?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't think in terms of "I like math, but...blah-blah-blah". Think: "The state requires electrical engineers to this, or that capacity, I'll go meet some of those guys and see if I could do that." "The school system sucks because teachers are retarded, they'd need me to help at least one kid." "This company might use my advertising services for a site and a commercial idea I composed. I'll contact them." "Humanity needs to understand this idea and I care about it more that making big money right now, I'll write a book to promote it." "Hospitals are running out of internists. I'll go to med school and take that spec." "No one wants to be a garbage man because the stigma around the profession, even though it's payed well. I wonder if I could do that." "Military needs engineers to build, fix and test fly planes. Would I mind doing that? What is the education for it"
With all due respect, I don't think life works that way. Maybe there are some people who got pushed into doing whatever and started rationalizing to themselves, but the primary reason for adopting a line of work has to be interest. Otherwise, I might as well become a sweeper because the world could really use another.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Thank you, but I've always been a little skeptical of the Steve Jobs and "The Secret" stuff. I refuse to believe that more than a small percentage of the population succeeds in enjoying every day at work. Those that do are very, very lucky. That said, I'm always in the favor of judging your life, and if you are dissatisfied, making incremental changes.
I think the key point was the part about it not being enjoyable for too many days in a row. Everyone goes through bad days, but if most days are miserable something needs to change.

·
Registered
ENFp-Fi (OP: Ne/Te); 2w1; LEVF
1,153 Posts
With all due respect, I don't think life works that way. Maybe there are some people who got pushed into doing whatever and started rationalizing to themselves, but the primary reason for adopting a line of work has to be interest. Otherwise, I might as well become a sweeper because the world could really use another.

There I was talking about the idea that people need to spend their whole lives "finding themselves" and wandering aimlessly trough life doing nothing. I was suggesting you need to do something your whole life and set yourself on particular paths, so that you end up with a good job, regardless of when and if you find yourself. And chances are, paths you take might help you find who you are in the first place.

I was not suggesting you do something you despise. I was suggesting you do something you don't hate.
You don't need to take interest. You need to like it enough not to be annoyed by it. If you take interest you're one of the lucky few.

·
King of Seduction
ENTJ
7,425 Posts

View jobs as a learning experience and not something that defines you or gives your life meaning.
I also don't stay at a job it's just who I am, I learn what I want and move on. I think learning different things others don't serves to define who I am.

I'm a chiro who knows about nutrition, exercise, pharmaceutical sales, medical insurance, communication, sales, academic research, and a few other things largely because of an extensive yet brief employment record. And frankly there is a lot more I want to learn about like real estate investing and stocks.

Life isn't a race and not knowing what you want to do in life isn't something that should be viewed as a problem IMO.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts