Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

(How most clocks appear to me)

So I've finally decided- this is it! The end of my procrastination days are near.
I've looked at the mountain range of coursework and papers appearing on my desk, and have decided to take action.

So, er... how do I do it?
Considering that even writing this post is a result of my procrastination, can I really stop myself from doing work? I've even cleaned my entire room twice to avoid a particularly boring essay on human behaviours.

So now, I've decided to stop messing about and write this essay... on procrastination. BASICALLY I'd like to hear any INTP stories about procrastination, so feel free to write any personal anecdotes on the subject.
I'm sure you've all got a looming report/essay/etc to do as well, so why not simply rant about it here.

And if anyone has any actually scientific/more meaningful imput, I'd love to hear from you.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I used to procrastinate this presentation I had to give.
I started at about 11pm the night before... Well, that's when motivated myself enough to open up PowerPoint...
In the end, I took about 4:30h for a 3-minute presentation, which should've took only 1 hour. Quite ironically I did it about sleep deprivation (I was done at 3:30am). The following week I had to give a 6-minute presentation. At about 12am the night before I found my subject: Sleep Deprivation (again, but this time better!). I was done at about... 5am....

Another procrastination-story...
Even though I should easily be able to get all points at school this year (72 for me), because of my procrastination I was only able to get about 35 while I had PLENTY of time... I just didn't want to put it into studying...

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I really should be procrastinating, but I'll get on to that later after I've finished doing this important... what was I supposed to be doing again?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I've also cleaned my room to avoid doing coursework, or basically anything that I should be doing. I remember this one time (not sure whether it was at band camp, might not have been) where I had coursework due the next day, so to avoid doing it I did the physics homework that was due a week ahead, purely because it was less important.
I swear we work backwards in terms of priority. You'd have to give me something important, then give me something extremely important aftwards to get me motivated/distracted enough to do the first important thing. But of course there's always something less important I could be doing to prevent me from doing that.

The worst thing about taking hours and hours to do something that should only take 30 mins is how low my standards eventually go. I end up celebrating a couple sentences of work as if it's a page. And by the end of it I just don't really care, so I'd just hand in a piece of shit if I had to. Depending on how distracted I am at the time, I'll either ramble on and end up writing too much, or I'll only look at the word document once every half an hour and get nothing done.

I've often described myself like a nuclear power station; I take ages to start up and stop, but once I get going I'll light up a whole fucking city...and possibly blow out some power lines in the process.

·
Registered
21 Posts
But if we stopped procrastinating, we'd never get anything done! I, for one, have accepted that I will never do anything [useful/practical] that I'm supposed to do. This leaves me with the conclusion that the more interesting things I wish to accomplish/indulge in, the more useful things I must have for my deflection.

This comes from someone whose wall clock is still in winter time.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I remember there being tons of clubs in high school, like as long as a student could get ht e support of as teacher they could start a club, get their name in the year book, hang out with friends and pretend like it was something worth while. There was an anime club, a D&D club, and of course a club dedicated to the study of the necronomnomnom (intentional misspelling because the library will block any mention of that lovecraftian macguffin, even though I happen to know they have books by H.P. Lovecraft...) It's a cook book, IT'S A COOK BOOK!!!

Anyway, me and my friends wanted to start a Procrastinators club. Naturally, we never got around to it.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
The worst type of procrastination is not when you lay in bed doing nothing, but when you perform useless tasks to fool your brain into thinking you're actually doing something. Like "Let me just clean this desk before I start on this essay" or "I'll just rearrange the folders in the desktop and then I'll start my work".

I used to do this a lot, and I still do it a lot (not as much as before though), but I'm getting better at measuring how much time do I need to finish something, so I know how long I can procrastinate without affecting my work. Sometimes I still finish stuff hours/minutes before the deadline, but what is life without some adrenalin?

But if you want to read more meaningful stuff about procrastination, I recommend these:

Good and Bad Procrastination
Procrastination « You Are Not So Smart

·
Banned
5,168 Posts

(How most clocks appear to me)

So I've finally decided- this is it! The end of my procrastination days are near.
I've looked at the mountain range of coursework and papers appearing on my desk, and have decided to take action.

So, er... how do I do it?
Considering that even writing this post is a result of my procrastination, can I really stop myself from doing work? I've even cleaned my entire room twice to avoid a particularly boring essay on human behaviours.

So now, I've decided to stop messing about and write this essay... on procrastination. BASICALLY I'd like to hear any INTP stories about procrastination, so feel free to write any personal anecdotes on the subject.
I'm sure you've all got a looming report/essay/etc to do as well, so why not simply rant about it here.

And if anyone has any actually scientific/more meaningful imput, I'd love to hear from you.
Law school has broken me of my procrastination habit. When you have no free time, there's no time to defer anything.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
My teacher said that smart kids procrastinate because they're perfectionists.
I actually just procrastinate because I'm lazy, but I nodded my head anyway.

If I procrastinate so much that I have to stay up late to finish (which is most of the time), I just don't even do it. Sleep is more important to me. I think I'll change my attitude if I get into college, though. ehh, who am I kidding?

Oddly, I don't procrastinate if I'm working in a group. I like to lead, so I make sure I know my stuff and everything. When I'm alone, it's so easy to get distracted by thoughts. I'm not even one of those people who cleans or does other productive things as a way to procrastinate. Sometimes I just sit on my bed, stare at my wall, and think for a couple hours.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I get distracted, very easily. Plus, who wants to do something they don't find enjoyable? Not to mention that some things are just unpleasant to even think about, let alone participate in.

1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've also cleaned my room to avoid doing coursework, or basically anything that I should be doing. I remember this one time (not sure whether it was at band camp, might not have been) where I had coursework due the next day, so to avoid doing it I did the physics homework that was due a week ahead, purely because it was less important.
I swear we work backwards in terms of priority. You'd have to give me something important, then give me something extremely important aftwards to get me motivated/distracted enough to do the first important thing. But of course there's always something less important I could be doing to prevent me from doing that.

The worst thing about taking hours and hours to do something that should only take 30 mins is how low my standards eventually go. I end up celebrating a couple sentences of work as if it's a page. And by the end of it I just don't really care, so I'd just hand in a piece of shit if I had to. Depending on how distracted I am at the time, I'll either ramble on and end up writing too much, or I'll only look at the word document once every half an hour and get nothing done.

I've often described myself like a nuclear power station; I take ages to start up and stop, but once I get going I'll light up a whole fucking city...and possibly blow out some power lines in the process.
I swear this is how my mind works.

It's amazing I've managed to even hand most of my coursewrok in on time, and I'm not entirely sure what the contents of said coursework actually are.
I usually write the introductory paragraph, and it's autopilot from there on out. Who knows what bollocks lies within those assignments...

As for the complete disregard for priorities, I suffer from that as well.
I always fool myself into thinking 'well, if I get the smaller stuff out the way, there'll be less hassle when I get to doing the important stuff'. I swear my mind is working against me sometimes...

·
Social Pyromaniac
477 Posts
The evolution of my procrastination:

elementary school: do homework the night before
middle school: do homework at home, the morning that it's due
high school: do homework on the bus ----> do homework at my locker before the bell rang -----> do homework as the teacher comes around to check it by scrawling in bullshit answers that look right at a glance

In 9th grade I had to make a working Nansen Bottle. That was when my technical ineptitude and procrastination converged to screw me. There I was, 5:30 in the morning, covered in hot glue, feverishly trying to attach knex pieces and straws to a soda bottle. Shockingly, it didn't work so well.

In college, I still only manage to give myself three days to write a paper. I write my best when I'm under the gun and don't have the time to over think and second guess. I've tried giving myself more time but I just end up re-writing the paper entirely the night before.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts