Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a nutshell, Wim Hof's breathing method consists of alternating cycles of 30 deep, rapid breaths and holding your breath for as long as you can. See this instructional video for a full tutorial.

Who here has done (or still does) this exercise? What are your experiences?

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Personally I'm only a few days in, but I feel as if this is a highly effective routine.
Some of the results I've noticed so far are:

• I feel more energized than I have in a very long time;
  • My mood is better;
  • My brain is less foggy;
  • Doing this exercise in the morning seems to have effects that last throughout the rest of the day;
  • There's an immediate increase in endurance during workouts;
  • It immediately increases my tolerance for cold showers;
  • Air somehow feels fresher and deep breathing feels looser/easier;
  • I noticed pimples inside of my ears, in the same spot on both sides... out of curiosity I checked an acupuncture chart and in this area there is one spot that corresponds with the heart right in between two spots that correspond with the lungs (it's hard to pinpoint the exact spot of the pimple as I can't look into my own ears that easily but as far as I can tell it's a pretty big pimple that pretty much covers this whole zone and there are no other pressure points in the same area);
  • An arguably negative short-term effect (apart from the obvious dizziness that comes from what is essentially hyperventilation) is pretty intense white noise tinnitus that subsides in a couple of minutes.
Like I said, it's only been a few days so there's a possibility I'm cheering too soon. Also worth noting is that I'm doing a lot of other exercise and diet-related stuff at the same time, as well as being in the process of working out medication, so I've been all over the place in terms of how I feel the past couple of months... but this exercise is certainly not doing nothing, and of all the things I've tried recently it seems to have the most immediate impact so far.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm two weeks in now and I still feel great. Still doing the breathing exercise every morning but I started taking cold showers as well roughly one week ago... which feels surprisingly good.

Perhaps worth noting is that I started doing the exercise as part of a health program I signed up for because my blood pressure was really high (I suspect due to stress) and the medication was making me feel absolutely terrible, so I was looking for something, anything to relieve that feeling and/or lower the blood pressure. While there has been too much going on at once for the last couple of months to definitively say what causes what, with diets and workouts and changes in medication and mental developments and whatnot... I ought to at least point out the correlation: since I started Wim Hof's method, my blood pressure dropped from ~160/115 to ~125/85... so that's pretty significant.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
In a nutshell, Wim Hof's breathing method consists of alternating cycles of 30 deep, rapid breaths and holding your breath for as long as you can. See this instructional video for a full tutorial.

Who here has done (or still does) this exercise? What are your experiences?
we used to this in chung moo doe class (they changed their name to tang soo doe) except we'd be sitting up crosslegged with your arms up like a football goalpost palms horizontal to the sky. 20 rapid breaths in then hold for as long as you can. i just did it kind of half assed in my computer seat, mind feels more clear and focused.

·
Administrator
13,553 Posts
It looks interesting, but I haven't tried it.

I've used more calming breathing techniques--like the 4-7-8 technique by Dr. Weil. He describes rapid, quick breaths for waking up--sort of like how divers will breath before jumping into cold water. But I've only really used the relaxing one, which is more of a cure for hyperventilation than causing it.

I definitely notice a huge change in my mood and mindset when I do try different techniques though--maybe I'll try something like this for waking up in the morning.

Dr. Weil seems kind of cautious about breathing exercises--like I think he says you should do 4-7-8 no more than four times a day or something.

But I guess there are whole texts on breathing techniques--some of them more intense than others and some safer and more mild.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts