Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to know which of those two characteristics you prefer.
Also, what would be of more value to you; being a wise leader or an intelligent scientist?

I, personally, prefer both of those two qualities equally.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The word "prefer" implies that there has to be a choice of one over the other.

Grammar aside, I think most of us will agree that intelligence and wisdom generally go hand in hand, but that it will also depend on what definition you're using for each. What is, according to you, the difference between the two?

·
Banned
512 Posts
I'd like to know which of those two characteristics you prefer.
Also, what would be of more value to you; being a wise leader or an intelligent scientist?

You seem to be defining "intelligence" as analytical and/or quantitative intelligence rather than other types of intelligence. In that case, I would rather be a wise leader since that would not only involve more forms of intelligence, but also a higher capacity to affect change in the world, hopefully in a way I desire. Science is great and all, but ultimately it is the people who make the policies and/or implement and commercialize technologies who are most powerful and make the greatest impact.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The word "prefer" implies that there has to be a choice of one over the other.

Grammar aside, I think most of us will agree that intelligence and wisdom generally go hand in hand, but that it will also depend on what definition you're using for each. What is, according to you, the difference between the two?
To me, being wise is being capable of making decisions that can be appealing for others and satisfying for oneself. It is being capable of understanding matters that concern life, ethics, or other abstract concepts, much like philosophy. What it means to be intelligent is being able to receive a large amount of objective information and put it into rational and rewarding use. Comparing philosophy to science can be a good example for this.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I've recently become critical of the word "intelligence" as a means of judging someone's value. It makes me cringe when people call others intelligent sometimes, mostly because they use some really "folk" definition of it or oversimplify it. Few things anger me more than those who think that KNOWLEDGE = INTELLIGENCE. IT DOESN'T!!!! Especially general knowledge quizes and standardized test scores. They don't mean anything to me, and it is my prime criticism of academia. I love learning and studying but I hate it when your understanding is judged by some test scores. It's fallicious and really quite naiive and stupid, and I have little respect for those that use it as a basis of judging one's "intelligence". I therefore value wisdom much more. Does that make me an INTP by any chance?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've recently become critical of the word "intelligence" as a means of judging someone's value. It makes me cringe when people call others intelligent sometimes, mostly because they use some really "folk" definition of it or oversimplify it. Few things anger me more than those who think that KNOWLEDGE = INTELLIGENCE. IT DOESN'T!!!! Especially general knowledge quizes and standardized test scores. They don't mean anything to me, and it is my prime criticism of academia. I love learning and studying but I hate it when your understanding is judged by some test scores. It's fallicious and really quite naiive and stupid, and I have little respect for those that use it as a basis of judging one's "intelligence". I therefore value wisdom much more. Does that make me an INTP by any chance?
I doubt your personality type would change because of this preference and I do believe that simply knowing does not make one intelligent. Although, intelligence is a matter of how efficiently and quickly you are able to receive and understand information.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
In my opinion, intelligence and experience make for wisdom.

I think a wise leader would also be an intelligent scientist, for whether or not one accepts that realm of study and knowledge, science is a valuable perspective into a window of life.

After all, the first definition of wisdom is:
"the quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgment; the quality of being wise."

Knowledge and good judgement would seem to come from smarts.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In my opinion, intelligence and experience make wisdom.

I think a wise leader would also be an intelligent scientist, for whether or not one accepts that realm of study and knowledge, science is a valuable perspective into a window of life.

After all, the first definition of wisdom is:
"the quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgment; the quality of being wise."

Knowledge and good judgement would seem to come from smarts.
Good answer. To be wise, one must be intelligent. Although, an intelligent person is not necessarily wise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts