Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
mafia mod
13,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Baby Boomers post your words of wisdom here. Things you've learned, proverbs you live by to our younger friends.

lbad grades are not the end of the world. school is a time for personal growth and learning about who you are and whats important to you.

·
Registered
16,308 Posts
My advice:

Stop whining - it's making cancer cells grow in your body.

Every single second counts & every action you take, matters.

Smile. Laugh. Have fun.

Don't follow the herd.

Sleep naked, it does a body good.

and from here I add:

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like when loved ones come home, always run to greet them.

Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy-ride.
Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.
Take naps.
Stretch before rising.
Run, romp, and play daily.
Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.
On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.
When you’re happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
Be loyal.
Never pretend to be something you’re not.
If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently.

ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF EVERY DAY!”

·
Banned
2,581 Posts
1. The longer you survive, the better it gets so NEVER give up. The first 22 years of my life absolutely sucked. Pure f*ckin' hell. The next 18 were a little better. But the past 13 have been absolutely wonderful!! Glad I stuck around. At 22 I almost didn't. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

2. Never take a sleeping pill & a laxative at the same time.:shocked:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Forgiveness is very selfish, you do it for your health and not for the other person.
Could you please elaborate a little bit? The traditional view might be that forgiveness is something entirely positive. Bear in mind, the previous statement does not touch on my own views regarding the traditional :)

@all: Cake, Sily, Dear Sigmund, Aqualung, LostInMyOwnMind and everyone who will post here, thank you so much for sharing. What a nice thread!

Reactions: Siggy

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Could you please elaborate a little bit? The traditional view might be that forgiveness is something entirely positive. Bear in mind, the previous statement does not touch on my own views regarding the traditional :)

@all: Cake, Sily, Dear Sigmund, Aqualung, LostInMyOwnMind and everyone who will post here, thank you so much for sharing. What a nice thread!

Absolutely forgiveness is positive in every way. But there are some things that can happen to a person that are so bad they can't be forgiven the traditional way. It was very difficult for me to forgive such people. Every time I tried to forgive the traditional way I got angry again. In my mind the thought come up that these people were not worth forgiving. God would not forgive them because they did not change their bad ways. And then my anger and hatred would build again. I noticed that the angrier I got the more my health would deteriorate. That is when I discovered that if one can't forgive any other way then do it for selfish reasons. No matter what these people had done to me then I could be able to forgive because it took them out of the picture. I forgive these people because it is healthy and positive for me to forgive. I do not forgive them to extend any form kindness or benefit to these bad people. I forgive to extend the benefits of forgiveness on me.

So if the traditional way of forgiving don't work then forgive for selfish reasons. And that one always works.

·
mafia mod
13,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wise words Cake. By not forgiving a person, you are, in away, allowing them to continue hurting you.

A couple of my favorites which I have learned

"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us."
– Helen Keller

I was always looking outside myself for strength and confidence, but it comes from within. It is there all the time."
– Anna Freud

And yes NEVER, EVER QUIT.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Hmm.

I have kind of given up giving out unsolicited sage advice to younger people, because they are exactly like I was when I was their age: they know better. They will only learn from the mistakes they made themselves. We all did :)

I have a few observations, though, which are worth a second thought, but if you don't want to, hey......

1. This too will pass.
2. the darkest hour is really and truly very often just before the dawn, metaphorically speaking.
3. Cliches have become cliches because they contain wisdom.
4. Somebody, somewhere, is prepared to love you, no matter how bad you think you are.

:happy:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Holding grudges is like taking poison and hoping the other person will get sick. Turn it lose and be free.

Forgiveness is very selfish, you do it for your health and not for the other person.
Blue Butterfly said:
Absolutely forgiveness is positive in every way. But there are some things that can happen to a person that are so bad they can't be forgiven the traditional way. It was very difficult for me to forgive such people. Every time I tried to forgive the traditional way I got angry again. In my mind the thought come up that these people were not worth forgiving. God would not forgive them because they did not change their bad ways. And then my anger and hatred would build again. I noticed that the angrier I got the more my health would deteriorate. That is when I discovered that if one can't forgive any other way then do it for selfish reasons. No matter what these people had done to me then I could be able to forgive because it took them out of the picture. I forgive these people because it is healthy and positive for me to forgive. I do not forgive them to extend any form kindness or benefit to these bad people. I forgive to extend the benefits of forgiveness on me.

So if the traditional way of forgiving don't work then forgive for selfish reasons. And that one always works.
Thank you for clearing this up for me. See what I did; I read "selfish" and put in negative connotations, and therefore totally misunderstood your whole point. Now I understand though. Thanks! I like your way of thinking about this.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
2. the darkest hour is really and truly very often just before the dawn, metaphorically speaking.
I hope against hope that you're right and I don't know better. Life is shit for a high school junior.

Reactions: Siggy

·
Registered
673 Posts
I hope against hope that you're right and I don't know better. Life is shit for a high school junior.
"This too shall pass", there will come a day when the problems you are now experiencing will seem very small and will be a distant memory, of that I promise.

·
Registered
45 Posts
hahaha! Because they don't want their testicles ripped off? Or because they just enjoy being had by the balls? hahahaha, hilarious!
Is this the sensor perspective? I love it

Reactions: Mina
1 - 20 of 90 Posts