Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems many girls I've met would rather be called "beautiful" rather then "hot." What they've told me is that they feel that someone who calls you "hot" is only interested in you physically(getting in your pants) and someone who calls you "beautiful" appreciates more about you then just your physical traits.

What are your thoughts on this and what do you prefer being called?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Yes. Correct. "Beautiful" implies that someone has taken the liberty of using all their mental capacities to provide a well-intentioned and meaningful compliment. "Hot" implies that someone is merely using Mr. Johnson's limited mental capacity as a way of invoking or masking sexual arousal.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Beautiful is a stronger word. It implies something about the way one carries herself and her character, hence the phrase "inner beauty". Think of an Audrey Hepburn in a Paris Hilton world.

A girl being called "hot" by a guy isn't much different from when other girls call her "pretty," which I dislike because it's a shallow and generic word... just like "nice" and "interesting".

Don't get me wrong, I won't turn down a compliment, but "gorgeous," "stunning," and "glorious" hold more meaning than "pretty".

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
I'll take whatever I can get. :tongue: If he's sincere, that is, and not, "Actually, I wouldn't be caught dead out in public with you, but you have a vagina and I'm desperate." Yeah... that wouldn't be cool.

A compliment is a compliment. But, being called beautiful does mean a great deal more.

·
Registered
526 Posts
yeah, I was actually just thinking about this. Hot is a much more physical word to me. Beautiful goes so much deeper...there's more thought and meaning behind it. Though a compliment is a compliment and I'll get flustered no matter what you say.

Afterthought: I tend to hear the the term "cute" a lot more too. That's kinda like pretty in my mind.

Reactions: NightSkyGirl

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
I really consider both words compliments. I love to hear that I'm both beautiful and hot from my partner.

When I am in the initial stages of dating a person, if I only hear that I am "hot" as opposed to "beautiful" I will seriously doubt their intentions. It's usually a sign for me to not go much further. Don't get me wrong, I definitely want to be "hot" for my man, but I don't want to only be "hot" to him.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
My looks don't generally appeal to the majority of people so when I get called "hot" I always feel there is some ulterior motive.

Beautiful is a much more sincere compliment in my opinion, though I will take what ever is given graciously. Heh.

·
Registered
164 Posts
No one said anything about how they say it, it doesn't really matter what they say really, hot or beautiful is all about their energy. Sometimes you get so amazed of how beautiful/hot she is that you are speechless, your expression says everything to her, most of the times she doesn't need to hear it cause it will be "redundant" (if i may use this word in this context), her genuine impression that she gives to you is more important to her then the words you say, that impression must tell the woman that you are vulnerable, most of the times guys that say to the woman that she is hot do not let too much vulnerability out, but when they say to her that she is beautiful they must truly feel that the way she is in that moment gives them a reason to live.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
That's kind of what I was trying to get at when I said "context" CristianLuca, but you explained it better.

Know what? I am annoyed that "beautiful" is too feminine a word and there is no suitable word that means "beautiful" for a guy!

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
That's kind of what I was trying to get at when I said "context" CristianLuca, but you explained it better.

Know what? I am annoyed that "beautiful" is too feminine a word and there is no suitable word that means "beautiful" for a guy!
I like to call men beautiful, who says it has to be feminine? There is such thing as masculine beauty. :happy:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Beautiful is the best to call a girl you love. Women feel beautiful when you tell them they are beautiful (without them asking). Women fell sexual tension when you tell them they look hot. It's ok to tell them they look hot, just do it at the right time. In the bedroom.

·
MOTM Feb 2011
8,078 Posts
My husband calls me both. I guess beautiful is nicer, but I'm not too bothered, they're both compliments. If others think or say either of them then I am not going to take offence.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
I dislike when women call me or other men hot actually...... or when they talk about us with our shirts off..... big turn off. So I can understand .... but like an earlier poster said its more about how and what context its said.

fuck the details. its about honesty. speak the way you speak. emphasis on you. if you are in that place (in terms of maturity) where you only find women as sexual toys then your immaturity/maturity will shine through and others will pick up on it and let you know how rediculous you are. And at least you will know there is a problem.

I'd much rather have honest immature people than dishonest immature people who say things that make them look mature and therefore never get set straight.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
It depends on what the person's intentions are. Some guys call women beautiful to get into their pants because they know that will work on them. The hot thing is cliché and trite but if a person only wants sex from me, I'd rather them call me hot so I know up front what their intentions are. I've been called beautiful before, and I don't believe it. I think that can be a very cliché word too.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I like either depending on how it's said. Better than cute, at least, but cute it about all I get except from my girlfriend. I'm horribly cute. :dry:

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Yes. Correct. "Beautiful" implies that someone has taken the liberty of using all their mental capacities to provide a well-intentioned and meaningful compliment. "Hot" implies that someone is merely using Mr. Johnson's limited mental capacity as a way of invoking or masking sexual arousal.
This explains why my friends only seem to call girls hot 90% of the time. Once or twice I heard them reference a girl as cute. But I think they where going the same direction anyway.:laughing:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.