Personality Cafe banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read somewhere that women didn't start shaving their armpits until the 1920s, when Gillette advertized that 'unsightly' underarm hair did not go with the newest sleevelss fashions. Until then, women didn't shave under their arms.

Curious what you all think.

Reactions: Myshe

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I don't give a shit. One of my girlfriends had armpit hair, and I kind of saw it as a plus. It was cute, because something I found funny and liked about her was how little she cared about certain facets of her appearance.

But to each his own. I could see how it might seem out of place on someone else. I wouldn't call it sexy...but I guess "sexy" is socially constructed. I think I could psyche myself into finding armpit hair erotic. :happy:

·
Registered
184 Posts
mh afaik it was also popular in ancient rome and many other cultures like egypt so this argument doesn't work for me. in my opinion there is only one woman in the world who can pull that off and that is amanda palmer ;)

it is matter of fashion and fashion changes, but in this special case i'll go with the mainstream.

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
Ewww
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I don't think it's disgusting. It's just that hair is associated with masculinity so some people might be weirded out by it.
I feel I HAVE to shave my underarms. I feel less womany if I have hairy pits because I have been condtioned to believe that, like most people. But that's the way I feel about ME. If another girl didn't want to shave her pits I wouldn't be bothered. I don't think it looks gross, I think it just looks natural.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I don't like hair on my legs or my underarms...but I leave the Holly bush intact (hahaha see what I did there :p)
I think it's going too far when you remove pubic hair. I only used to remove it because I thought nobody would find me attractive if I didn't. But it someone doesn't want to be with me just because I like my garden then good riddance. I don't see how it would make me sexy if I had no hair...I would feel uncomfortable. Confidence is sexy, it's not really about physical attributes.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I like my armpit hair. It's natural. I used to shave it because I felt pressured into it, but as an adult, I realized that if someone else didn't like it, it was that person's problem for being easily influenced by culture, not my problem for choosing not to be. I get cold easily so I don't usually go sleeveless at this time of year. Even when I do, it is rare for anyone to notice it. I also have hairy legs which are usually visible because of my preference for skirts and dresses. Nobody notices that either. They tend to think of me as a hippie, which is mostly true, except for the parts where hippies are supposed to be into casual sex, idolatry, and lots of drugs.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I actually think armpit hair can look attractive, when it looks soft and stuff and when it doesn't look unkempt. You see women in old pictures with armpit hair and it doesn't make them less beautiful. I think there is an attractive quality to it because it looks natural.
I don't feel comfortable not removing mine though. Maybe one day I feel secure enough to not let society put me under pressure to conform.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I don't like it, I don't like leg hair either, pubic hair is fine though.

I shave my pubic hair, my lower back and ass :shocked::crazy:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
LOL I prefer it when men don't shave, but I think it matters about what makes the other person comfortable. There's no point shaving or not shaving just to please someone. We all should just accpet each other for who we are :)
Saying that I can never make hair on me look attarctive. I look like a hobo :p So for that reason I remove it but if I felt it looked nice I'd probably keep it, regardless of what other people said. Nobody tells me what to do :p Well actaully they do. I conform sometimes :(
I think it kinda crappy how we all feel we have to remove things and modify ourselves :(

·
Premium Member
10,519 Posts
The media has successfully influenced my decision on women with armpit hair and I'll just say EWWWWWW....:sad::frustrating:

Reactions: Mer0wl

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
The media has successfully influenced my decision on women with armpit hair and I'll just say EWWWWWW....:sad::frustrating:

You know you want it :tongue:

I have to admit it usually looks unkempt and scruffy. But in some instances it can be quite attractive. But not in the instance above I must admit. Oh dear...

·
Premium Member
10,519 Posts

You know you want it :tongue:

I have to admit it usually looks unkempt and scruffy. But in some instances it can be quite attractive. But not in the instance above I must admit. Oh dear...

Oh god why did you post such a pic. I was eating...:angry::tongue:

Reactions: Mer0wl and Xemseige

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I don't think my armpit hair would get that long if I even tried!

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
Mine never gets longer than about an inch and a half. It is soft and fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 134 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.