Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Statistically, the most dangerous domestic situation as far as domestic violence and death for a woman to be in, is two lesbians living together.

So I'd say yes.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've always considered myself a manly lesbian trapped in a man's body.
So you're a butch trapped in a man's body? How's that? Do women dig that, or no?

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
You still haven't told me where you have gotten this statistic?
Have you seen a list of statistics I've posted? #66 http://personalitycafe.com/debate-forum/27945-feminism-has-gone-too-far-7.html
Sorry, here's a quick one.

Fact Sheet: Lesbian Partner Violence

How common is lesbian partner violence?
About 17-45% of lesbians report having been the victim of a least one act of physical violence perpetrated by a lesbian partner (1,5,6,13). Types of physical abuse named by more than 10% of participants in one study included:

Disrupting other’s eating or sleeping habits
Pushing or shoving, driving recklessly to punish, and slapping, kicking, hitting, or biting (11).
Sexual abuse by a woman partner has been reported by up to 50% of lesbians (12).
Psychological abuse has been reported as occurring at least one time by 24% to 90% of lesbians (1,5,6,11,14).

The research usually has been done with mostly white, middle-class lesbians who are sufficiently open about their sexual orientation to have met researchers seeking participants in the lesbian community. Subsequently, these findings may not apply to women who are less open, less educated, or of other ethnic backgrounds.
Compare that to the statistics available for married heterosexual couples, and it looks even worse, because most heterosexual abuse happens in non-married relationships (when shacked up).

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Sorry, here's a quick one.

Fact Sheet: Lesbian Partner Violence

Compare that to the statistics available for married heterosexual couples, and it looks even worse, because most heterosexual abuse happens in non-married relationships (when shacked up).
But why are you saying it is the most dangerous statistically? On what grounds? Have you seen the statistics in regards to sex in the number of domestic violence deaths?

Maybe you should define what you mean by "most dangerous".

·
Registered
1,565 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
More:

Gay Men and Lesbians More Likely to Experience Violent Events and Subsequent PTSD

Gay men and lesbians more likely to experience violent events and subsequent PTSD

----------------------------------------------

Patriarchy And Wife Assault: The Ecological Fallacy by Donald G. Dutton, Ph.D.

Abstract

A critical review is made of feminist analyses of wife assault which postulate that patriarchy is a direct cause of wife assault. Data is reviewed from a variety of studies which indicate that:

(1) Lesbian battering is more frequent than heterosexual battering.

(2) That no direct relationship exists between power and violence within couples.

(3) That no direct relationship exists between structural patriarchy and wife assault.

It is concluded that patriarchy must interact with psychological variables in order to account for the great variation in power-violence data. It is suggested that some forms of psychopathology lead to some men adopting patriarchal ideology to justify and rationalize their own pathology.

-cont-

Homosexual relationships

The prevalence of violence in homosexual relationships, which also appear to go through abuse cycles is hard to explain in terms of men dominating women (see Bologna, Waterman and Dawson, 1987; Island and Letellier, 1991; Lie and Gentlewarrior). Bologna et al. (1987) surveyed 70 homosexual male and female college students about incidence of violence in the most recent relationship. Lesbian relationships were significantly more violent than gay relationships (56% vs. 25%). Lie and Gentlewarrior surveyed 1,099 lesbians, finding that 52% had been a victim of violence by their female partner, 52% said they had used violence against their female partner, and 30% said they had used violence against a non-violent female partner. Finally, Lie, Schilit, Bush, Montague and Reyes (1991) reported, in a survey of 350 lesbians, that rates of verbal, physical and sexual abuse were all significantly higher in lesbian relationships than in heterosexual relationships: 56.8% had been sexually victimized by a female, 45% had experienced physical aggression, and 64.5% experienced physical or emotional aggression. Of this sample of women, 78.2% had been in a prior relationship with a man. Reports of violence by men were all lower than reports of violence in prior relationships with women (sexual victimization, 41.9% (vs. 56.8% with women); physical victimization 32.4% (vs. 45%) and emotional victimization 55.1% (vs. 64.5%).

------------------------

As I find more, I'll just add them to this post if you don't mind.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
More:

Gay Men and Lesbians More Likely to Experience Violent Events and Subsequent PTSD

Gay men and lesbians more likely to experience violent events and subsequent PTSD

As I find more, I'll just add them to this post if you don't mind.
OKay, that has nothing to do with your claim that domestic violence is more dangerous in lesbian couples statistically.

Listen, the danger of same sex domestic violence is that it often gets unreported due to stigma or a person hasn't come out yet.

The most violent domestic abuse leads to death. That is where I gave you other statistics. Women killing women are not the leaders in that statistic.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Women killing women are not the leaders in that statistic.
Not in greater numbers, no. Because there are many more heterosexual marriages than there are live in lesbian relationships.

But rate wise, if you take two random women and drop one into a marriage and one into a live in lesbian relationship, the lesbian is at greater risk.

Statistically it's not hard to figure out why. The lesbian relationships have a greater level of domestic abuse, and women committing domestic abuse typically prefer to use weapons.

I'll see if I can't find the abstract tomorrow. This isn't work for a Saturday night.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
My first gf was kinda insane a little, it wasn't just me that felt her presences it was everyone, even guys. This one time we were walking out of a concert and she pulled off a promo poster from the wall and some guy tried to take it off her. She handed it to me and then put him on the floor. Then some other guys verbally abused him for picking on a chick.. or something to that effect. :S
She never used a closed fist on me but yeah.. I never liked it but I liked her *shrugs*. She would sometimes trap me in her house if she was you know feeling evil and I'd have to escape then give her a few days to cool off. I learned a lot from that relationship.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
My first gf was kinda insane a little, it wasn't just me that felt her presences it was everyone, even guys. This one time we were walking out of a concert and she pulled off a promo poster from the wall and some guy tried to take it off her. She handed it to me and then put him on the floor. Then some other guys verbally abused him for picking on a chick.. or something to that effect. :S
She never used a closed fist on me but yeah.. I never liked it but I liked her *shrugs*. She would sometimes trap me in her house if she was you know feeling evil and I'd have to escape then give her a few days to cool off. I learned a lot from that relationship.
Did she have some kind of personality disorder? 0_0 i'm glad you got away from her in one piece.

Can I ask what the "warning signs" were before she got to that stage? or was she always insane?

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
*shrugs*..She was very much a drinker, she would do the drinking (oh boy would she do the drinking) and I was the one who drove kinda deal. I don't know it was mostly around that time of the month that she would lose it, I mean I never really provoked her I don't think she had any major issues. She was a little bit insecure about herself sure (nothing abnormal) yet was extremely extroverted and loved meeting people... I just put it down to a lively personality, she was loudly spoken and loved attention.. which I loved.

This one time we were out at a pub and some girl was having issues with her boyfriend who was screaming at her in the streets so she went up to her and told her to stay with us for the night.. after she'd gotten out of the police station that is (instead of going back with him). So she stayed with us and then we did breakfast the next morning, she was so scared and freaked out, yet we kinda convinced her she should go and stay with her mum for awhile. Not sure if she did but my gf said after we'd dropped her off that she was so drunk last night she didn't remember any of it and was puzzled to see her sleeping on her bedroom floor the next morning. She had a big heart but also a dangerous one (at times)...So many adventures :p

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Rule #1 Never sleep with anyone crazier than you are willing to get.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
But but but the best sex I've ever had was with someone who would hear voices, freak out on a daily bases and mumble/giggle to them self from time to time (an ex-house mate). But I did avoid a relationship there thankfully.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.