Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhat popular study making the rounds locally over here. It's from my University, which has also come out with a number of interesting 'findings' regarding attraction.

I bolded main TLDR parts for you skimmers (like me).

We've heard it before: nice guys finish last. And when it comes to sexual attraction, it appears the rule holds.

A new study finds that women are more attracted to the brooding, "bad boy" rather than happy-go-lucky guys.

Now before you go asking, "They needed a study to tell us that?!", hear us out. The University of British Columbia researchers who worked on the study say there's an inherent contradiction in this finding.

They note that in almost every social interaction -- including those involving sexual attraction -- smiling is actually considered essential. But when it comes to first impressions, women seem to prefer men who look either sullen or boastful.

The study from UBC's Deptartment of Psychology involved more than 1,000 men and women who were asked to rate how sexually attractive they found hundreds of pictures of people of the opposite sex.

The pictures showed men and women engaged in standard displays of happiness (broad smiles), pride (raised heads, puffed-up chests) or shame (lowered heads, averted eyes).

When they asked the women which images they found sexiest, the women tended to be least interested in the smiling, happy men. They instead preferred either those who looked proud and powerful, or moody and ashamed.

In contrast, men were most sexually attracted to women who looked happy, and least attracted to women who appeared proud and confident.

Alec Beall, a UBC psychology graduate student and one of the study's co-authors says it's important to remember that the study was meant to explore first impressions of sexual attraction.

"We were not asking participants if they thought these targets would make a good boyfriend or wife – we wanted their gut reactions on carnal, sexual attraction," he explained in a news release.

He notes that previous studies have found nice personalities and positive emotions are highly desirable in relationship partners. But when it comes to sexual attraction, women seem to like their men "complicated."

Why would women like men who looked ashamed? Prof. Jessica Tracy of UBC's Deptartment of Psychology, who also worked on the study, has a theory.

She says displays of shame suggest the men are aware of social norms and appeasement behaviors, which suggests they are trustworthy, a trait that is valued by both sexes.

As for why the women preferred the men who raised their arms in pride, that one was a bit easier to explain.

First off, the pride expression accentuated the men's physical features, such as upper body size and muscularity, which may have helped to make the men more sexually attractive.

As well, evolutionary theories suggest females are often attracted to male displays of pride because they imply status and competence. Smiling, on the other hand, is often linked with a lack of dominance.

Men may have preferred the smiling women because happiness is considered a particularly feminine-appearing expression.

And like it or not, traditional gender norms call for men to be dominant and strong, and women to be submissive and vulnerable.

"Generally, the results appear to reflect some very traditional gender norms and cultural values that have emerged, developed and been reinforced through history, at least in Western cultures," Tracy said in the news release.

"These include norms and values that many would consider old-fashioned and perhaps hoped that we've moved beyond."

The study appears in the online edition of the American Psychological Association journal Emotion.
Source: Women find happy men less sexy, study finds - CTV News

I know a few of you guys are non-smilers for the most part (like myself), and I've always thought it was a negative overall, but hey... never know.

What are your thoughts / experiences?

·
Registered
6,762 Posts

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Let's be sad about it and dye our hair black.
Why should my presentation reflect my mindset?
Are we truly ruled by a thinking that one should present themselves in the stereotype of their thoughts?

Culture is so vain.

[Waits for the ladies to swarm over his dark, brooding nature]

it's one thing to be attracted to sullen-LOOKING dudes. but to actually be with a genuinely unhappy man is a whole other story. give me a happy guy over a brooder any day, please.
I've been depressed and emotionally troubled since 2nd grade :D

·
Registered
233 Posts
Why should my presentation reflect my mindset?
Are we truly ruled by a thinking that one should present themselves in the stereotype of their thoughts?

Culture is so vain.

[Waits for the ladies to swarm over his dark, brooding nature]
The bus you threw me under, it hurts. My pain is as deep as my soul (and sexy too)

[sulk]

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Well i don't even know what words are anymore ffppfpt p tpf f ptf pt fptfpt tpfftptp pftppftpp tpf

I will not be outdone!
I'm so brooding and tormented that I don't know why we're even doing this...

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I guess maybe it is because happy guys don't look as deep. Like, if a guy is always smiling, one might assume it is because he is fake, or if not, that he is a little stupid, never questions anything, and probably lives his life like a self-focused hedonist. One might not consider the possibility that his happiness is genuine and comes from something other than ignorance. Maybe he is just friendly, or maybe he asked all of the questions, found the answers, and now has some kind of spiritual enlightenment that he discovered on the other side of it. I try not to make assumptions until I get a sense of what he is actually like.

Arrogant guys turn me off faster than just about anything else. I'm obviously not looking for that kind of dominance.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I Think it also depends on what kind of happy expression it is. For example,

this smile does nothing for me, but...

I think this smile is pretty hot.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Well thought out arguments seldom outperform courage wolf.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Hmm well i dont smile alot but i'm quite a joker and i smile when i make others laugh etc and i enjoy smiling and laughing so i should be more unattractive but that would suit me fine because i'm not interested in being overly sought after, But i find that i'm sought after quite a bit which does get a bit annoying and grainy when i cant escape it all :/. I just want to have one person who is gentle and kind, thats all, no need for a harem to start up (sheesh lol)

I think its when the smile can be seen in the eyes is when its the best, people think a smile may be deceptive but the eyes dont lie ^^

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
People who are happy all the time generally annoy me. Both men and women. I enjoy being around happy people, I'm reasonably happy myself. But I prefer to be around people who are more quiet, and friendly but not overly friendly... More serious men are definitely much more attractive to me than goofy guys who are always smiling and laughing. I enjoy them in small doses but they suck out my energy after a while... I prefer a calm, serious guy that I can chill with and talk about deep stuff...and go on low key, mellow adventures.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I don't know if I'm "somber" a lot or anything. I'm just an asshole.

1 - 20 of 190 Posts