Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently heard that once a man reaches 35 and is single (and never previously married), he is increasingly seen as no longer worth it. To women: Is this true? I have always heard that women have fairly early "expiration" dates if you will, but never men. At what age do you think men become too old to pursue a serious relationship with? I'd appreciate brutally honest answers.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
I recently heard that once a man reaches 35 and is single (and never previously married), he is increasingly seen as no longer worth it. To women: Is this true? I have always heard that women have fairly early "expiration" dates if you will, but never men. At what age do you think men become too old to pursue a serious relationship with? I'd appreciate brutally honest answers.
doubt it's true of most women, just look at Jack Nicholson, Hugh Hefner, Sean Connery, Brad Pitt and George Clooney.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Nonsense. No one is ever too old for a serious relationship. The exception might be if you wanted biological children and the woman was reaching her 40s. Even then there are options.

That said, many people do have issues with age gaps. As a 35+ year old man you might have a tough time finding a woman fresh out of high school for a relationship. If you're willing to date within your own age range, then you should be fine.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
My typical problem with older men is, well, that they are OLD.
And I am not talking about age.

(as point of contrast: I'm "old"... but I'm not "OLD.")

·
Registered
250 Posts
For me? Yeah, that's a 15 year difference where I'm the younger. I imagine we'd be in completely different points in our lives. Anytime in my 20's it's hard to imagine myself with someone who has a 10+ year difference, but if I was 30 and was interested in someone who was 40 maybe I'd be more willing.

·
fire breathing dragon
2,810 Posts
Depends. I don't think all women would freak out, but I do think everyone would be curious as to why you aren't married or in a relationship at 35. As much as people hate to admit it, we do have "expiration dates" when it comes to marriage. Men can usually go longer like you said, but it does seem rather odd to be that old and still single especially if you planned on being married by that age. It makes me wonder if something is wrong with them which stopped them from dating, or if they just kept choosing all the wrong relationships and ended up single again.

I think you need to be honest about why you're still single. If its because you really just havent met the right person, then fine. But if you have a long history of failed relationships most women are going to see that as a red flag and pass. I know I would.

·
Registered
637 Posts
How old? How would I know! I don't have a set age limit. If I meet someone and fall in love, that love is all that matters, not some trivial stuff like age.

But ok, if I would try to set some age limit, considering that I'm not in love with someone older at the moment: I'm 30 myself, so maybe something like 45ish. For a real serious relationship. When it comes to sex.... well the oldest one I've been with was 38 years older than me. And NO, I'm not a gold digger or anything, it was just the joining of two lost souls :p He's an old friend (so to speak) and a free spirited hippie: )

·
Registered
637 Posts
I don't wonder why you're 35 and single... at all. Being a single mum myself, who am I to judge? I mean, at least here in sweden, many people are quite "old" when they're starting to build up a family of their own. And I mean, just because you're single when you're 35 doesn't mean you never had a relationship. You probably been in some serious relationships but they didn't work out. So what the heck, nothing strange about that!

·
Banned
891 Posts
Thirty-five too old???? Give me a fucking break.

I met my husband at 22 (am now 30). He was 32 when I met him. We got married at 28 and 38, respectively, and I sure as hell didn't see him as "past it" or "too old". Neither when I met him, nor when I married him. My emotionally manipulative mother tried to keep me apart from him- said he'd probably been with a lot of women, because of his age at the time. Guess what, he's never had anyone but me. And I've never been with anyone other than him. He was worried about being judged, though, until he met me. I'm a unique person who thinks very differently than many people, and he was able to pick up on that quickly, hence less fear of judgment from me on his part. He's 40 now. I don't consider him old, not even remotely.

I do agree that age matters even less as you get older, although even before I met my husband, I knew I had a preference for older men. If I were looking for a relationship, my limit for myself would probably be no more than twelve years my senior. I don't know what it would be at 40 or 50, as I'm not there yet.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Men are still boys until the age of 30, so at 35 they are finally becoming a man. Women mature so much faster than men, so no, you're not too old to have a serious relationship. Some women like myself appreciate a man who has life experience, men who are self secure and has gathered independence. Surely at 35 you know what you want, are more settled in your life, career and things that interest you. Personally i prefer a man i don't have to mother. For women who are still searching for a serious relationship, a man of your age is perfect mentally, sexually +. It all depends on the woman, although i'm pretty sure they're out there.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
...I think you need to be honest about why you're still single. If its because you really just havent met the right person, then fine. But if you have a long history of failed relationships most women are going to see that as a red flag and pass. I know I would.
Yeah. It's just something I take into account, per individual, as well. I weigh it differently if someone was in a LTR for many years (and showed some staying power) but then the relationship ended. In that case, I'd simply want to understand the basic dynamic of the breakup, so I could know if it might apply to me if I got involved with the guy.

Love is love. For me, I need someone who I connect with. Too much older than me, and I don't find that. (same way with much younger than me.) I do best with people who transcend age.

Personally i prefer a man who i don't have to mother.
There is a biggie. I'm more independent myself (it's my highest-ranked attribute on OKC compared to other women my age, and by a significant amount)... and I don't want a guy I need to coddle and mom, he needs to be an adult too. Or, at least, I need to know he's capable and independent, and then I don't mind as much doting on him a bit. :)

·
Registered
801 Posts
That's just ridiculous. The fact of the matter is the pool is simply getting smaller. It's not that he's deemed undesirable or beyond expiration date but he will certainly notice fewer suitors due to the shrinking pool of single women/men in his age group. He may feel like he struggles with the stereotype of either being A) A player/free spirit who has little desire to shack up and be tied to a ball-and-chain or B) a nice guy who is simply waiting for the right partner to come along - he's seeking quality. As is true with any age group, we all struggle to find a match with similar interests and life goals. 3 years ago I would have loved meeting someone single within my own age group...mid to late 30's, that's hard to come by without having to accept a serious amount of baggage.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts