Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed in my old MMO days that people would often flock to women (who were considerably rarer) and give them things and act a certain way around different people. Now this is distinct from social mirroring because you only change a little bit in order to smooth relations. It's an adaptation.
This was different however, in that these men were seeking something specific from these women.. and these women in response would often grow big egos for it. And the men who got the most attention would become ferocious guardians of these women. It's a little hard to explain due to it being recent, but perhaps you've noticed this in real life too? Like, it'd literally change the men.

·
Premium Member
10,523 Posts
Men that casually log online tend to be more shy when confronted by the opposite sex offline. So there certainly is a wall preventing a type of interaction between the sexes. Those walls are invisible on the internet because of the ease of finding someone with common interest.

Me personally, I don't really see that big a difference. There are just as many men that "compete" for approval (FLIRT) offline then online. You just need to be more courteous offline. :crazy:

Reactions: Promethea

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I treat them like everyone else. Its a pet peeve of mine when people go nuts over girls on the internet (leg humpers). Its also a pet peeve of mine if the girl knows this and promotes this kind of behavior or seeks it out.

This may mirror me in real life as well, since I will treat a woman equally and not go out of the way to idolize them. And I may go out of my way NOT to give attention to attention whores (online and in real life).

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
I think it's hilarious. I'm tempted to call folks out for it, but I never do. On beer advocate dot com, whenever a woman posts anything the mindless flattery gets heaped on. It's disturbing! I think this is just some people's nature. Turns out, some guys just want the attention of women.

In the service, I noticed this too but that was in real life, so they were clearly after something tangible.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I will post my brief view on MMOs, that is very harsh, cruel, and mean, I am sorry, it is a phenonmon that I do not understand and ridicule in confusion.

MMOs are not fun to me. It is a replication of life, but is not life itself. Such qualities as hard work apply, but it is not all real. Instead of an escape from a real life, it is just a new life, which is not what I look for in entertainment industry. Why replicate what we do so exactly? You can play roles in real life as well, I envision myself as a Byzantine, of course. This women attention issue, is a supporter to my theory. It is very stupid to try and get the approval of someone just because they are of a certain gender in a game. It is as ifs it mimic the real life old world male trying to impress a female for relationship and starting a family. The game in a game is a symptom of this, not an alternative fun side break, but truly a new life. It baffles me, why impress digital women when you can impress real women? I never understood the fun of MMOs, you work towards goals, and feel good from achievement. Its what I do in the real life. I wish to have a fundamentally different experience, and am, apologetically, baffled that others do enjoy MMOs. I want meaningless fun in my games, or a bit more interactive role play. I enjoy GTA IV, because it lets me be East European in NYC, I can do the comical story, or the chaos, or make movies about it. Its enjoyment is not in end goal, but in process of the digital battles. The girl flocking reminds me of something I saw in real life.

I saw this in a circle of geeks/nerds in my prestigious secondary school. This lame girl, who was very dumb, a bit awkward, but attractive, hung around dumb, ugly, nonathletic, and socially awkward guys. The guys worshiped this girl, and she had an ego because she was used to being adored, and chased by them day to day. They all wanted her as both friend and lover. In my early days before athletics, and Byzantine discipline, I still viewed her as the dumb peasant she is, and she was confused, and thought I must be the dumb one to not chase after her like her moron friends. She was always surprised of the numerous awards I had won, and by the end of days I was teaching her much, for she knew very little. Yet she never wanted to acknowledge my superiority, it was always a anomly when I would beat her in something and appear intelligent, and gain notoriety and fame around school for my exploitations. She is now attending a garbage university, she choose a fake world where she would be loved regardless, chose to be queen of the bottom dwellers. She was looking down, and descended so, she should have aimed upwards, as I did.

I do not discount possibility of MMO being geneuinly fun, but I feel for many it is a trap and symptom of caving in life. Its a wonderful conceptulzation of a new world, but often it fails, role playing is good, but how it is always translated seems to mimick bores of life so much. Not to mention lack of Byzantines.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I spend most of my time online yet it's extremely rare that a guy will talk to me, yet if I go to the pub some guy will always talk to me. WAIT!!! wtf am I doing? *logs off*..... j/k I'm back :frustrating:

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
On some forums I frequent there are "post your picture" threads and nearly all the women who post automatically get complimented by dozens of guys. I don't know what those guys hope to accomplish...
It always makes me want to laugh when I see that on this forum. Even the women for some reason feel they should be complimenting on all the pictures of the "prettier" girls here. I don't get it...

·
Registered
689 Posts
Without the competition for females, males will compete against each other for dominance(Read: KILLER LEWTZ). When a female does come around, the males will then compete for her. The winner is chosen by her- and now the process of unbridled, animalistic protection and guarding of the new source of his dominance(And, more importantly, his masculinity)begins.

WoW is like the African savanna, maaaaaaaan.

This protection methods stem from the fact that these dudes have no real-world source of confidence.

And the world keeps'a spinnin'.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts