Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the most difficult retail experiences of my life was attempting to purchase a spätzelhobel back before Amazon.com was as all-encompassing as it is now. Spätzel, for the unaware, is a German dish that is technically "dumplings," but more like noodles, really. Käsespätzle is basically mac&cheese. That's what I grew up eating, and any time my mom needed that piece of kitchen equipment, she'd always refer to it as the spätzelhobel. It only does that one thing, and as far as I was ever aware, it had no English translation.

Well, I was going to need one of those if I was ever going to make spätzel on my own. I went to the only place I could think of that might carry such a random item, and asked them if they had a spätzelhobel. It took well over a dozen explanations to cross that language barrier. Now, you can just google "spätzelhobel" and point to a picture. Study the picture. Remember the word. You now know something most of the US population does not. Also, learn to make Käsespätzle cuz it's good.

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shpet-zel-hob-bel, something like that... ä is something like æ, if I remember correctly
Very close. The umlauts just show that it is pronounced with the long vowel sound. Shpay-tsel ho-bel is my best approximation.

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Look at that grater having delusions of grandeur. Ho, you just one grater in a graterful world. You might think you the VIP cuz you grate dough but cheese what's really makes the world go 'round.
Ayyo, I got into the grating game cuz of you... you a legend, feel me? I got nothing but respect for cheesegraters. S'all love.

Reactions: Fredward

·
Registered
447 Posts
How many points is that in scrabble?
Depends, is it in English? If it isn't used as its English equivalent, then it cannot be used. And this is why I hate playing scrabble with Lit/English majors... they say that I can't play 'otaku' as a word.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
I like German. I enjoy shaping my mouth to make an 'A' sound but having an 'O' sound come out instead. Amon Goeth. Amon Goeth. Amon Goeth. I just can't get enough of it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts