Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dear INFPs (or any others who so happen to be lurking), got any short sayings you abide by? Words of wisdom to share?
The only drawback being that the point is that you came up with them yourself, though, not a quote you kidnapped. :eek:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
"Drugs don't do people wrong, people do drugs wrong."

"Everything is one. Space and time as we perceive them are simply the products of our minds. As such, distance across space and time are mere illusions. Realizing this can allow us to transcend our minds' limited perceptions and achieve balance with that universal oneness.

I am you, you are me, here is there, and then is now. We are all nothing, the nothing is the everything, and the everything is the one."

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
"Everything is one. Space and time as we perceive them are simply the products of our minds. As such, distance across space and time are mere illusions. Realizing this can allow us to transcend our minds' limited perceptions and achieve balance with that universal oneness."
Can you elaborate a little bit more on how space and time are products of our mind

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Can you elaborate a little bit more on how space and time are products of our mind

Our minds are temporally and spatially bound, and so we naturally perceive reality in terms of time and space in order to make sense of it. However, there are no truly existing discrete measures of either time or space. All such measures are just subjective and pragmatic distinctions.

I don't have the time to really get into it right now, but I'll be back on later tonight if this post doesn't clear things up.

Some other thoughts from the same conversation as the post you quoted:

"True reality is objective, and in that reality the illusion does not have existence. The illusions "exist" subjectively in our minds by fiat because our minds (at least in their natural state) are unable to comprehend objective reality. The illusion is an idea that "exists" because and ONLY because we choose to credit it with existence. True existence exists irrespective of any subjective acknowledgement of it."

"In acknowledging the distinction we give it subjective existence, and the acknowledgement stems from the practical reality that we live in. The illusion of distinctions allows one to operate in the practical phenomenological world that we are forced (for whatever reason) to exist in.

The hammer only exists as an entity in our minds because we see it as a means to drive the nail. I exist as an entity in my mind only because I see "myself" as a means by which to participate in the greater whole of existence. This same pattern holds true for all entities.

There's nothing wrong with using the illusion as a means to the proper ends, but it is important to realize that in the end it is nothing more than a useful tool, and a limited tool at that."

(In response to the question of why we perceive things in the way that we do):
"The reasons why we may choose to see the illusion could very well be tied to natural selection (or to anything else, for that matter), but I think that's largely irrelevant to the greater point. Regardless of the mechanism that causes us to acknowledge it, the point I'm making is that IF we were to not acknowledge it, then it would have no subjective existence in our minds. Color as a sensory phenomenon does not exist objectively, but it has subjective existence in the minds of those who perceive it. For the blind man color has neither objective nor subjective existence. To be ignorant of WHY we see color has no bearing on the issue."

"The only universal truth we can really utter is that 'It is'."

I apologize for this post being so jumbled, but I'm in a bit of a hurry at the moment. Let me know if there's anything that I wasn't able to sufficiently communicate.

·
Banned
263 Posts
Our minds are temporally and spatially bound, and so we naturally perceive reality in terms of time and space in order to make sense of it. However, there are no truly existing discrete measures of either time or space. All such measures are just subjective and pragmatic distinctions.

I don't have the time to really get into it right now, but I'll be back on later tonight if this post doesn't clear things up.

"True reality is objective, and in that reality the illusion does not have existence. The illusions "exist" subjectively in our minds by fiat because our minds (at least in their natural state) are unable to comprehend objective reality. The illusion is an idea that "exists" because and ONLY because we choose to credit it with existence. True existence exists irrespective of any subjective acknowledgement of it."

"In acknowledging the distinction we give it subjective existence, and the acknowledgement stems from the practical reality that we live in. The illusion of distinctions allows one to operate in the practical phenomenological world that we are forced (for whatever reason) to exist in.

The hammer only exists as an entity in our minds because we see it as a means to drive the nail. I exist as an entity in my mind only because I see "myself" as a means by which to participate in the greater whole of existence. This same pattern holds true for all entities.

There's nothing wrong with using the illusion as a means to the proper ends, but it is important to realize that in the end it is nothing more than a useful tool, and a limited tool at that."

"The reasons why we may choose to see the illusion could very well be tied to natural selection (or to anything else, for that matter), but I think that's largely irrelevant to the greater point. Regardless of the mechanism that causes us to acknowledge it, the point I'm making is that IF we were to not acknowledge it, then it would have no subjective existence in our minds. Color as a sensory phenomenon does not exist objectively, but it has subjective existence in the minds of those who perceive it. For the blind man color has neither objective nor subjective existence. To be ignorant of WHY we see color has no bearing on the issue."

I apologize for this post being so jumbled, but I'm in a bit of a hurry at the moment. Let me know if there's anything that I wasn't able to sufficiently communicate.
Thank you for this thought!. Insightful.

@kaychivers May I suggest a book called "The power of now" by Eckhart Tolle". It includes an extended explanation of this idea.

·
Premium Member
INTP
11,905 Posts
Don't expect much more of yourself than you would expect of your best friend and forgive your own failings as easily as you would forgive theirs.

Fairweather friends are ten-a-penny, don't worry about losing them because you can easily pick up ten more.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Thank you for this thought!. Insightful.
Thanks!

To be fair, I have to give at least some credit to Parmenides, Spinoza, Kant, and Laozi for that.

Reactions: Hend

·
Auntie Duckie
2,720 Posts
Don't count your chickens before they're hatched. (OK, not mine, but it's one of my guiding principles).

At the end of the day, when you look in the mirror, be satisfied with the person staring back.

A good meal, a soft bed and a pleasant night of sleep solves most issues.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Well. You might possibly in one time or another reach a point in your life, when you feel everything is just wrong. You are wrong, world is wrong and everything is going into some strange, wrong direction. At this moment, you will find plenty of people suddenly full of advices - "Smile, be gratefull, cheer up, it is not the end of the world, think possitively . . . list go on and on." Only adivice I will ever give you, is not to listen to those people. You have the right to feel badly and if you do, you possibly have a good reason for it. Why not? World could be good, but not always, and you also could be good, but not always, and your life could be good, but not always . . . . Just go deep and be the saddest person, that ever lived. Because from my experience, it is not goal of life to die as a perfect person. Goal of your life is to be strong enough, to die as a failure. Because if you allow yourself to be failure, sad and imperfect person, you are free.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
- Just because you’re special or talented doesn’t obligate the universe to acknowledge it in any way.

- The best things in life are free. It's the 2nd best things that cost money like travel and triple chocolate cheesecake.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

No worries man and I agree with what you've posted, logically. The Idea of actually measuring time and space is something that humans created to give measure to what we believe is real. However, I feel like regardless of whether us humans exist, time and space in the universal concept would still have already been there. Think about how our universe is still currently expanding and the time that it took to get there from its original conception. So, wouldn't that mean that time and space would be of something that is rather objective and only subjective in the sense that we gave it meaning?

Edit: apologies for derailing the thread. i'm just tryna understand this concept :B

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
No worries man and I agree with what you've posted, logically. The Idea of actually measuring time and space is something that humans created to give measure to what we believe is real. However, I feel like regardless of whether us humans exist, time and space in the universal concept would still have already been there. Think about how our universe is still currently expanding and the time that it took to get there from its original conception. So, wouldn't that mean that time and space would be of something that is rather objective and only subjective in the sense that we gave it meaning?
I don't think so.

You're using your subjective experience of expansion to try to justify space's objective existence, and you're using your subjective experience of the progression of time to try to justify time's objective existence. I don't think it works like that.

The way that you perceive time and space is a product of the way your mind is built. Our perception of objective reality is imperfect and not absolute, and so subjective sensory observation does nothing to prove or disprove the properties of objective reality.

Logic is about all you've got in this situation, along with a little intuition.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Trust > Share > Discover > Solve > Sustain...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts