Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get it, business it about making money, not helping people The problem is I am about helping people; I am not independently wealthy, and I need to work for a living.

I have life experience that has led me to not trust business.

The first experience was when I was about 6 years old, and credit collectors threatened my sisters and I late at night with knocks at the door and threats to take my father away (one parent household) for not paying his debts even though he, at 38, he had a triple bypass and was unable to work.

The last time was after 13 years of commitment to a company that wanted me to compromise my values. The company wanted me to lie to my staff and alter reviews in order to lessen the raises people would receive. I could not do it and quit.

There have been many examples in between.

Where have other INFJs found work that did not ask one to compromise one's values. Are any of you able to detach your personal values from those of the company in which you do bidding?--if so how do you do it.

Do any of you feel, as I do, that business seems kind of slimy and parasitic.

Where is that lotto ticket anyway?

Thank you for any advice you can give me.
Rich

·
Registered
INFP
1,317 Posts
Well it all depend on what kind of business you are talking about, not all business are created the same way. There is quite a variety of them from mining, to printing, to banking, to recycling, to information technology. Most of the time a company will be at the image of it's leaders. If people at the top are a bunch of ignorant worthless people, chances are the whole company will be a rotten fish (always depend on how the power is spread throughout the organization, most companies are quite top-down though).

I understand that not all companies will have the same value as you do. It's normal, they were created by different kind of people with different ideals and values. A company is a bit like a society, it's organized and split between various group of people with different functions. They have a culture like every other human group. The predominant culture in the business world is the one implying that people have to play the game of capitalism (which is everybody has a chance of becoming rich, even if you have a barely more chances at capitalism than at winning at the lottery). Not all companies are like that though you just have to find a company that isn't that big on growth and profit.

Maybe you could look for companies who publish corporate responsibility report? Or any company with a sense of accountability. I'm sure there are people out there with the same value as yours. Just like INFJ are quite rare, company started by INFJ or people with similar value as yours (maybe they aren't as wide spread as greed) are a bit rarer. There is always not for profit organization, cooperative, etc. which are just a different kind of company who are more democratic and people oriented. Also, if you look for smaller company you will most likely find companies that are more people oriented. The larger an organization is, people get less and less importance on an individual level.

There's always the option of starting a company the way you envision it as well. If you feel like creating something different, in your image you could try to do it as well. I understand one as to work first and put money aside before starting to think about such stuff.

That's how I see things, I'm still in school so take all of this with a grain of salt. I will experience all of this first hand sooner or later.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you Mestarious,

I have thought of non-profits, and have done much research. I think you are right about the idea of a small business, I think there is an opportunity there to have more of a voice. In addition a better opportunity to know the owner/entrepreneur and the values and motives that they live by.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Don't give up on the Corporate world!

I have worked in a variety of roles and companies (tiny to huge). Values and culture varies from department to department in large companies - Customer Support has a very different culture to Sales!

Outright lying in the situation you described is a sign of poor management - you were right to see this as wrong. Having said that it is part of a manager's job to translate policy, budget reality and individual needs into something that can be put to the employee. Good people get poor pay rises when the money is tight.

One way you may approach it is to view your career like that of an independant contractor/consultant (even in full time employement) going from gig to gig. Careers are increacingly like this anyway. Look at what you can control in terms of quality, excellence and values.

You can't change the world - but you can control your bit of it

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi PaulH,

Thank you for your reply,

I wish that company would have just been honest and said "money is tight and so the raises will be small" but instead they wanted me to alter reviews so that the raises would be smaller. It was inconsistent with my values and the values espoused by the company--Trader Joe's-- It would have been better to give them the review they deserved, but revise the raise scale. The crew might not have gotten the raise that they wanted, but at least they could feel good about the work they had done. I could have easily gotten behind that.

I have not given up. I think it is just going to be hard to find.

Thanks again for your reply,
Rich

1 - 5 of 5 Posts