Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would you describe your work ethic? Do you see yourself as a hard worker? Workaholic? A slacker? a bum? Average? Above average?

How would others describe your work ethic?

Is it consistent for every task you do, or are there some tasks in which you feel like applying little effort?

Why and why not, and what are the situations and circumstances?
What motivates you?

Discuss.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would say I'm a hard worker. I'm usually that guy quietly still working in the background while many of my co-workers are leaning against the wall chatting with each other. My managers love me anyway. >.>

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I have a rather crappy work ethic, and I fully admit it. I basically don't make myself do anything unless I have a strongly personal and internally-motivated reason for doing so. I follow my feelings, and if I can't come up with a really good reason to do something, I don't. The only good reasons to push myself even if I don't want to would probably fall under the category of "extreme" -- like, something (or someone) vitally important to me will be threatened or taken away if I don't do whatever it is that I'm supposed to, someone's got a gun to my head, I've been ordered to by law, etc. I'm a thinker and a dreamer, but I rarely care about the "doing" part unless it's something I'm passionate about and emotionally invested in.

Of course, I imagine some of this is exaggerated by the fact that I've been dealing with chronic depression for nearly 15 years now. That doesn't really help one's work ethic. Also, I've been on government assistance for mental and physical health-related issues for the past seven years, so in my case I'm not applying "work ethic" to an actual job... more just my sense of responsibility and pushing myself to do things that are deemed necessary.

Edit: I'm also a procrastinator extraordinaire. This has bitten me in the ass so many times in life that it's not even funny. It was a huge struggle when it came to schoolwork... I was a smart, straight-A kid with tons of plans and ideas, who didn't start anything till the last minute and then got horribly frustrated and anxious.

Edit #2: I could have sworn this was in the INFP forum, oops! Well, you've got an INFP perspective now as well, haha.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If I'm at an actual business, I try my best to constantly stay busy. I've been complimented many times for it, although that's not why I do it. I just feel like when I'm at work, I should be working. Not gossiping with coworkers or texting in the back room.

But when it comes to housework or schoolwork, it's almost impossible for me to bring myself to do anything. I don't need to do much housework though, other than laundry and dishes and stuff, because I'm not a very messy person.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Though I do not currently work, and prefer not to, I have generally had an excellent work ethic when employed. As long as I know what I am doing, and the job is not incredibly Byzantine and nebulous, I will launch myself into it with zeal. If the job is beyond my skill level, or if I am not inclined toward that particular skills set (such as the intricacies of building a house), I feel incompetent and lose interest. Need a floor stripped and waxed? A document translated from Arabic to English? A trench dug up and fiber optic conduit connected? Minor automobile repairs performed? Anything in the world cleaned? I'm your man. Need a set of cabinets built? There ain't enough money. I'm not good at it, not inclined to be good at it, and don't want to go through the incredible effort and concentration it would take me to learn to be good at it.

I also prefer to work alone, and in a quiet environment if possible. For example, I was a pretty good translator. Lock me in a room, alone, and let me translate all day with no interference, and I won't even take a break until it is time to go home (well, maybe to grab a cup of joe or a sandwich to consume at my desk). Unfortunately, it rarely goes like that, and invariably someone feels they must come along every so often and poke you with a stick. Hence my preference not to work, if at all possible, at least not for others. Also, though I used to loved to study the language on my own time, for the most part I do not want a job I have to take home with me. Just let me put in a strenuous eight to sixteen hours and go home and not think about it until I punch in the next day.

To be honest, my usual motivator is good old greenbacks, though I also feel a certain measure of pride in a job well done. I don't want awards or trophies or 'success' or compliments (though compliments are nice, on occasion). I just want you to pay me and leave me alone to do my job, and let me go home when it is over. Being left alone is a huge motivator, though working hard actually usually has the opposite effect.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I'm a very hard worker when I am given deadlines or will be judged by other people. I will always be the first finished, the one who obviously put the most work into their product, etc. At least, that is how I was in school and how I am now with art if someone is expecting a result. However, on my own, tasks such as cleaning get put off. I feel like I have little work ethic in my daily life.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My work ethic is dependent upon how much time and effort I think it'll take me to complete the task.

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
I'm a solid and consistent employee. But work to me is little more than a paycheck, so I only put in the effort that's required of me. I try to avoid slacking, but I don't go above and beyond the call of duty either. Probably average all around. I've been at my job for 3 years now, so most of it is auto-pilot at this point.

Honestly, I'd prefer to work from home if that were possible and feasible to do so. But then I'd probably never leave my house other than to get groceries, lol. I just wish I knew (and could get) a job that I'd bother to really be interested in. Work has always been little more than pay to me, because I have to have it. I'm not fond of it in the slightest.

Best job I ever had was on my family's old farm, when I could drive the tractor and till fields all day. I had hours of time to be lost in thought, singing to the radio, or whatever. No one to distract me. No one to boss me around (at least while in the tractor). Too bad the farm had to be sold though. And my father was a terrible boss. -_-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts