Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last week seemed like a dream (still is). Introverted former oil worker turned very successful marketing company owner who I coincidentally had a couple classes with approaches me in our advertising class at the university and offers me a great job, ten months from now when I get out of school once and for all. Heck, he's willing to hold off his company's expansion so I can handle it when I'm ready.

While we've met and talked about the job and my part-time training for this promising position over the next almost a year we start to chat a bit too. Suddenly I get a text, "I hope this isn't creepy but I really like you bro and we gotta hang out." Yes, this is a married CEO with 3 kids in his mid 30's talking to a 25 year single dude still in his beer bong and shots stage of life. Did I mention he's my new BOSS?

This always happens. Every job I have my bosses try to violate a personal/business life barrier I seem unable to either properly create or hold. It's awkward, but they're my BOSSES so what can I do? Reject them? Say I don't want to hang out with them and poison my career?

I've commented about this before with my two previous bosses, but third strike and I'm much more anxious about it then I was before. Even though this guy is pretty decent, he is my BOSS and we're in different stages of life.

Anyone else get anxious or experience bosses, pastors, or other people in authority get a little too comfortable? (for non-sexual reasons lol). I think it's an ENFP thing with our ability to exude that we care more about certain people than we do.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So last week seemed like a dream (still is). Introverted former oil worker turned very successful marketing company owner who I coincidentally had a couple classes with approaches me in our advertising class at the university and offers me a great job, ten months from now when I get out of school once and for all. Heck, he's willing to hold off his company's expansion so I can handle it when I'm ready.

While we've met and talked about the job and my part-time training for this promising position over the next almost a year we start to chat a bit too. Suddenly I get a text, "I hope this isn't creepy but I really like you bro and we gotta hang out." Yes, this is a married CEO with 3 kids in his mid 30's talking to a 25 year single dude still in his beer bong and shots stage of life. Did I mention he's my new BOSS?

This always happens. Every job I have my bosses try to violate a personal/business life barrier I seem unable to either properly create or hold. It's awkward, but they're my BOSSES so what can I do? Reject them? Say I don't want to hang out with them and poison my career?

I've commented about this before with my two previous bosses, but third strike and I'm much more anxious about it then I was before. Even though this guy is pretty decent, he is my BOSS and we're in different stages of life.

Anyone else get anxious or experience bosses, pastors, or other people in authority get a little too comfortable? (for non-sexual reasons lol). I think it's an ENFP thing with our ability to exude that we care more about certain people than we do.
Well, I hear you on that one. Even if all he wants to be is "buds", the point is that 1) it is way too soon in the employment experience for this type of situation and 2) I'm sure he's done this so many times before that he realizes that while it's not proper he still feels the need to push the boundary envelope. Perhaps a friendly but distant, "Let's just keep to boss and employee roles for right now," might be the thing to exert your own personal boundaries (which is a healthy thing to do).

Never feel guilty for letting people know that you prefer to keep certain boundaries uncrossed. It will probably make for a healthier work environment in the long run to do that. After all, it is most certainly true that once that healthy boundary is shattered, there will be no way to exert it later on. I hope this helps you out on this problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts