Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who work, are you workaholics? this applies to any INFJs in school too. IDK, but i noticed i have this tendency to become soooo identified with my work/school, that i pretty much have no other life. but im still happy and content with the work? :proud: i get things done, but i was curious if others also start doing this, overly identifying with work/school?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
i wouldn't say i overly identify but my work, interests etc is my life...
it's where i spend all my time. it's not really work, it's all the things that make me happy
even mundane everyday things are connected to it

the only exception is... my weekly dose of vampire diaries >_>

·
Registered
378 Posts
NO. I'm a bludge-aholic.. maybe just bc I haven't found a line of work/study I'm compatible with yet. But even if I did, I'd still be pretty lazy I reckon :/

·
Registered
87 Posts
I work 24-7, not necessarily "at work" but on goals. I am always working toward something, so much so that I recognize I need to spend time just relaxing and having fun. But I don't because I feel a constant need to be progressing toward a goal. It was particularly bad in college when I couldn't even relate to the term "hanging out." I it sounded like a waste of time to me.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
The momentum at work can be hard to break free of, even at day's end.

In the last 20 minutes of work, I'm like, "One more thing here; let me just get this one thing; and a minute to do this one more thing."
Everywhere I look at work, there is one more small favor to help along the next morning's crew.

I enjoy helping, but I sometimes wonder if I'm doing it also out of fear of being judged for not doing enough, or also because I've opened a door I cannot close (and they expect these favors every day). :frustrating:

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Nope, not workaholic at all, I leave work at work.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yes, I'm a workaholic...but it is out of more necessity due to my budget.

One of the two jobs I have requires to answer phone calls and do paperwork even after work is done and am off the clock due to that one being a contract position (put in my 1 month's notice recently). The good part: was able to reframe this experience in a positive manner by realizing that there is now certainty that I do not want to go into private practice as a therapist. Huge weight-lifted, it turns out that there were bricks on my shoulders before that did not even know were there until coming to this conclusion.

My thoughts are that a job should give you enough to live on and either a little extra to save and/or spend on some good self-care and fun. That is why I moved on and accepted a job at a hospital to help with patients, just in a different capacity. It is also unlike the other 2 jobs in that will only work 40-50 hours a week versus 70-80 hours a week...plus ironically I will make MORE money (not a typo...lol, as it is a salaried position) and unlike the other two which were both in the mental health field, will now be able to receive benefits such as health insurance, 401k, quarterly bonuses, etc.

Am thankful that someone noticed how hard of a worker I am and that they wanted me on their team! It finally paid off...and would have never even known it would turn out that way. So..for all of those self-professed workaholics out there...hold on to hope...there will be a time where all of your blood, sweat, and tears will be worth it!!!

·
Registered
402 Posts
I can somewhat identify with this. I am not sure if I could classify it entirely as workaholic but every job I tend to put my all into it and go the extra mile. After several jobs where I was used and was stressed to no end I really have taken a step back from doing that all the way, although I still find it within me to do my best at what I am doing. The downside to that was I was working so much and stressed and not doing what I wanted to do/love so I feel as though that part of me was wasted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts