Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to know about your experience with these freelancing websites.

Please also describe the type of work you signed up for and your expertise/professional experience level.

·
Registered
INTP
3,531 Posts
Not I, personally. But I was a freelance copy editor (of academic articles) for 15 years. I researched such sites when I was starting out, and the topic came up occasionally in editors' and freelancers' discussion groups.

The consensus seemed to be that they aren't worth it if you're at all serious about your craft, or about making a living, or about professionalism. Usually the job will go to lowest bidder.

Might be okay for giggles or a bit of pocket money: "Sure, I'll proofread your novel for $50." It might also be a way to get your feet wet if you don't know where else to start.

·
Registered
15,054 Posts
I've created an account as a freelance writer and copyeditor on Freelancer for a couple of weeks, but my experience wasn't worthwhile and I ended up cancelling my account

The consensus seemed to be that they aren't worth it if you're at all serious about your craft, or about making a living, or about professionalism. Usually the job will go to lowest bidder.

Might be okay for giggles or a bit of pocket money: "Sure, I'll proofread your novel for $50." It might also be a way to get your feet wet if you don't know where else to start.
Yes, I agree with this. The website didn't seem serious or professional to me. I wasn't willing to do most of the stuff for just a bit of pocket money, and I didn't think the experience I'd gain would be worthwhile to put on my resume.

Also, I got a lot of offers for low-paid random jobs on Word and Excel, from fishy looking profiles that wanted my Google or Skype information for an interview. Someone asked me to make an account for them on a website and they'd pay me for it as long as I gave them some private information, which I found kind of strange.

I hope other people have had better experiences than I did, and perhaps I quit too quickly, but that's my story.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Seems like a genuine question of yours, so I figured I'd try to help (whether it's useful or not, to you, I don't know).

I'm guessing you're trying to do programming freelancing? The fact that you're asking this question, especially here, makes me already presume your skill level.

Here's some resources:

I really recommend contributing to open source, before attempting to freelance. Regardless, knowing how to ask the right questions, and where, is incredibly important.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm guessing you're trying to do programming freelancing? The fact that you're asking this question, especially here, makes me already presume your skill level.
You're dead wrong. Please do not assume things about people. I started this thread because I wanted to know other people's experiences.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts