Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you who have worked fast food-- or other similar jobs-- what was it like?

So, I had a job the summer after high school working at a fast food place before I went off to college. It didn't kill me, but I was never so relieved to leave a place. I was not well-suited to working fast food; and I don't say that because I thought I was "too good" for it or anything; I say that because I frankly stunk at it.

The one thing I didn't mind doing, actually, was washing dishes, because it was mindless and I could think about other things while I did it. But of course, they wouldn't just let me stick to washing dishes; I got to do a little bit of everything.

The worst time I can remember was one time during the lunch rush, and a customer ordered a Macho Burrito, but it was a special order, with no green sauce, extra cheese, no onion, etc. etc. (I don't remember exactly, but it was confusing). I started to make the burrito, and I put on green sauce. Oops. Started over again with a fresh tortilla...rmembered to omit the green sauce, but then I added onion...oops again. I actually yelled out loud at myself, I was so frustrated; and the manager was standing right there, tell me to calm down...I was so embarrassed. I hated filling special orders, or very large orders, because it seemed I almost always got something wrong and had to fix my mistake. But then if I tried to slow down in order to get it all right, I was told to work faster...That said, though, I prided myself in my burrito folding technique, and never burning a tortilla on the warmer; one of my co-workers was especially notable for leaving tortillas on the warmer for too long and they'd turn brown and be hard to fold.

I also remember being really grossed-out one time when I opened up a new package of beef, and it smelled off to me. But I pointed this out to the shift manager and she told me to use it anyway; since that time I could not eat a beef taco or burrito from that place. Another time, I made a batch of quesadillas with tortillas that had small white patches on them, and didn't tell anyone, because after my experience with the beef I thought I would get in trouble if I threw away the tortillas. Gross, huh?

Reactions: yellowbritt

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I've never had a job like that, but it doesn't sound fun...

Do you have company loyalty in not disclosing where it was that happily serves off meat in mouldy bread? Maybe if I were American I could guess from the name of the burrito, but I'm not. I want to avoid the place if I see one though :crazy:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I tried this when I was in high school and I don't even want to remember ^^;; I only lasted a week. It was so strangely exhausting.. There were so many people working with me and I hated to be 'on display' .. You worked right in front of everyone, your co-workers and the customers. So much pressure <_< I also had trouble with speed and strength.. It feels so weird for me to make 'big movements'. Swinging my arms, mixing things vigorously. I got tired so fast. And by then, they still made me mop things and I remember times I couldn't even lift the darn mop and squeeze the water out.. It was soo heavy... (@[email protected] And not to mention there were a few jerks during my shift, incl the boss

I remember there were some customers at their tables, looking at me with pity. They said you look like you should get a raise. I didn't even smile or nod back, I was too worn out ...On my last day I didn't say good-bye. I'm actually a little worried right now because I'm living in an area where most people do work in the service industry, and my parents aren't giving me enough time to 'get it together.' I really do not want to go into this line of work again. Actually anything with physical work and speed really wears me out.. It only dawned on me recently how serious this was, and I had gone into a career where there was a lot of just quick thinking or no thinking, just fast work, working by instinct(?), at least for when you begin.. You have to work your way up.. I loved studying it, but I just realise as a career it does not fit me well (._.)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure NFs are really suited to the industry what with our general lack of practical awareness, but the industry sure can benefit from us and our unique way of thinking.

I worked full time in BK for 7 months when I was 18. I had a whale of a time. It really got me over my anxiety about being good enough to do a job, so I was so much better prepared for the world of work when it came to doing a proper job after university.

I was serious for 2 weeks while I trained and learned, getting the ironic nickname "Smiler" in the process. After that I quickly became established as a core team member - befriending all the new workers, of which there were always many. It was the most social period of my life - I was very extraverted and one of the group leaders. I even got 85% of the way into a plan to get half the work force to go to Butlins for a weekend of fun and debauchery, until the managers who I hadn't invited nixed it.

I used to hide out in the freezer illicitly munching on chicken nuggets. We used to make the whackiest combos we could think of for our own lunches. When we worked the late shift serving hundreds of drunk people we used to make "mustard burgers", swapping the standard ketchup and mustard portions around. I was put on till most of the time towards the end, which wasn't as fun, but me and a few friends would come up with some fanciful daydreams, for instance pretending we were in a Burger King Ballet, dancing around each other (when the manager wasnt looking). We would also quite often sing our orders to the kitchen staff.

I was crap at the whole cleaning process at closing though. Mopping floors and cleaning machines etc. I was useless and slow, and kept the whole team from going home earlier, which always made me feel bad. I got so irate one night that I shouted at my manager (the one I got on with most) and told him I wasn't going to do it anymore, so they put me on the opening shifts from then on. Prepping all the food for the day while it was quiet was a nicer job than closing up, but not when I was hungover :unsure:

I also worked in food service at a university hall for a bit. Again, I was crap at the whole cleaning and closing up and so pissed off my colleagues a bit that way. And I worked in the deli of a pssh supermarket which was even worse, but at least I had the sense to quit that after a week. On my last day I spilled a king size jar of expensive olives all over the floor :laughing:

·
Registered
303 Posts
I had a summer job at Walmart once.

Quantifiable parts of my soul died that I will never get back.
I worked at a Walmart for almost 2 years when I was younger. I'd have to completely agree with this. :crying:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I think it's the worse job you could give a INFJ

·
Registered
802 Posts
My third job was working for McDonald's. Their food is awful, but they are really good about training people, and (at least in my experience) they treat their employees well. I was nineteen and had worked two retail jobs before that, so I became the all-star cashier; I remember multiple times when I was the only cashier during both the breakfast and lunch rushes.

My coworkers were really great, but the job was tough. Customers think that your working retail or fast food gives them license to treat you terribly. People said and did the rudest things, and I've never been hit on so many times in my life! Although I eventually got used to it, I hated the constant rush and having nothing but mindless, repetitive tasks. Plus, the job was more physical than most people think. Sometimes I was working next to the fry machine or the grill and it would be sweltering! Other times I was retrieving items from the freezer. I'm short, so everything was hard for me to reach or too heavy for me to carry. I have Fibromyalgia, so fast food was really a very poor job for me.

I ran into a lot of the same problems when I worked at Subway. We were never as busy as McDonald's, but customers were equally as rude, and again I had to work in both extreme heat and extreme cold. Surprisingly, I found McDonald's much cleaner than Subway.

When I graduated with honors from college, I thought I'd be able to get a decent, entry-level job. Imagine my disappointment when the economy tanked and I wound up begging a woman at Subway to hire me so I could afford my medications. :dry:

·
Registered
802 Posts
And by then, they still made me mop things and I remember times I couldn't even lift the darn mop and squeeze the water out.. It was soo heavy...
My first job was at Books-A-Million. I had a terrible manager who took a dislike to me very quickly for reasons still unknown to me. He used to make me vacuum and mop the entire warehouse-sized store. The mop was so heavy that I could barely lift it when it was dry, and I was nowhere near strong enough to ring out the excess water.

I also used to have to tote 50-lb boxes of books all over the store as I put out merchandise. Sometimes when I got home from work, I could barely stand or lift anything.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
People said and did the rudest things
This one time I asked a customer if I could help him with something, and in response he told me to go fuck myself. He was trying to act like a badass in front of his bimbo girlfriend.

This is basically why people in Walmart forget how to smile.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
This one time I asked a customer if I could help him with something, and in response he told me to go fuck myself. He was trying to act like a badass in front of his bimbo girlfriend.

This is basically why people in Walmart forget how to smile.
It's funny, you are telling me this story of your misery and somehow it brings me good times, I am smiling my ass off over here.

zwanglos. sometimes I laugh at my own life while it is happening... people get very confused...
but it's totally worth it.

it's good to have a friend that you can laugh with.
I look less weird than when I am walking around alone trying to hold back a smile. which happens more often than not.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
zwanglos. sometimes I laugh at my own life while it is happening... people get very confused...
but it's totally worth it.
I've never thought anyone else but me did that... So good to know I'm not the only one. :blushed:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
It's funny, you are telling me this story of your misery and somehow it brings me good times, I am smiling my ass off over here.
It's cuz I'm so damn good at telling stories.

You have clearly not worked in a Walmart :) Good for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts