Personality Cafe banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a Software Engineer, an industry rules by the ISTJs and for me, there's no other type of person I struggle to deal with more.

• They're very stubborn to change, you can't change things around them as it stresses them out, they become defensive and buckle down with the smallest of details as justification as to why things should stay the way they are.
  • They love to over complicate things, the don't look for the simple solution or look at how we can simply solve a problem, they want to dive right in and look at all aspects of the problem. I give them a simple solution to a very simple problem, their first response is to grow the problem as large as they can before eventually coming back 2 weeks later and realizing my solution was perfect.

I find them real hard work and unfortunately I'm surrounded by them, how do I deal with them?

·
Registered
510 Posts
I find them real hard work and unfortunately I'm surrounded by them, how do I deal with them?
That's simple; (1) keep outdoing them in terms of performance and work ethic and (2) prove that your predictive capabilities are far superior (As Te-users ISTJs cannot argue against with empirical evidence of high performance). Ultimately, what you want to do is to get to a position where you can direct them instead of having to deal with them as peers.

A major conflict between ISTJs and other N-types is that, whereas they are excellent workers, ISTJs significantly lack intuitive tendencies (inferior Ne) which makes them behave very conservatively when facing problems. If possible, they will always stick to the same old way of dealing with things and not open up to newer approaches that may address the problem more elegantly (which is unfortunate, because in businesses, staying idle and old is a continual loss of competitiveness for the enterprise; an eventual death sentence.)

They may react defensively (or possibly get jealous, though rarely; after all they are ISTJs), but keep in mind that their being threatened by your high performance is none of your concern (if they possess professional standards, they ought to discern public matters from private matters and behave accordingly). Of course, this is not to say that you should antagonize your ISTJ peers, which may jeopardize the team's performance overall; what I suggest is for you to feel free to perform admirably, as any good ISTJ will respect you for this.

Additionally, if you want to truly gain their respect, you have to learn how to deliver exactly what you have forecasted or promised. If you fail to deliver on promises and these "new, better approaches," they will consider you to be unreliable and impractical, thus dismissing your future proposals, but if you successfully deliver exactly what you've promised, they are without excuse and will be much more willing to listen to your proposals (you'll have gained their trust and respect in the process).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts