Personality Cafe banner

161 - 172 of 172 Posts

·
The spirit of the spirits
11,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Yeah the one I played was the 2010 version, and I only played it sharing with the guy renting a room in my house at the time. Usually, games games with him was extremely fun too. He hated Halo as well so don't feel bad about that.

He had Gears of War, the only time I played that game was with him and I couldn't stand it. I think wrote a post on here, but it was probably the characters that did it for me.

I liked Uncharted 3 story a lot and characters were entertaining, but the actual gunplay was pretty bad and not worth going through again.

Well, I obviously already named the "worst" game, but I'd probably add that I didn't enjoy Far Cry 2 much but I didn't play it much either.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed GTA V when I first did the main story but I haven't touched the game at all besides just seeing it run on my old desktop. It was more important at the time because everybody I knew was using slang directly influenced by that game. Now it is feels like crude humor at this point.
Good thing that you had a friend to play with, it can really make certain games feel different. I still remember that I enjoyed Mercenaries 2 demo with friend once, just because it was open world game and you could mess up the city for some time.

That friend had acquaintance, who claimed he had Xbox 360. When I came to his flat, it was obvious that he had the old original Xbox. I told him that it wasn't 360 and he actually couldn't believe me. Apparently the friend I played some games with played some Halo CE and he said that it bland and forgettable game. So I know that games like Halo definitely aren't universally liked. To be honest, I don't even know why Halo games are attractive to some people, especially on a console. ODST was probably the worst received game in the series too. Mostly because Bungie wanted to quit Microsoft and they had an agreement, that they must make two games in short time. That's why ODST was even a thing. It was a rushed project which wasn't a disaster, but it wasn't living up to standards that Halo series seemingly always had. Some reviewers also said that it was just a stopgap product until they release Reach. Also some said that it was more like DLC rather than a full Halo game. So it wasn't a great Halo game even back then.

And since you mentioned PS3 game, I want to tell you that I recently got a PS3 just so I could try out Gran Turismo 6. It was an awful thing to do, because I knew that PS3 kinda lacks anything else, that I would want to play and seller of it scammed me a bit. I got broken PS3. Anyway, I was recently trying to come up with a list of games that I think I could enjoy and whose are PS3 exclusives (there are exceptions to this rule). Here's the list:
journey
wipeout hd (fury)
heavy rain
little big planet
bomberman ultra
the ico and shadow of collosus collection
katamari forever
mainichi issho
rain
ratchet and clank (tools of destruction) (collection)
ridge racer 7
yakuza series
valkyria chronicles
Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F
mirror's edge
sleeping dogs
steins gate
Toro to Morimori

What do you think about those games?

·
Registered
29,014 Posts
Good thing that you had a friend to play with, it can really make certain games feel different. I still remember that I enjoyed Mercenaries 2 demo with friend once, just because it was open world game and you could mess up the city for some time.

That friend had acquaintance, who claimed he had Xbox 360. When I came to his flat, it was obvious that he had the old original Xbox. I told him that it wasn't 360 and he actually couldn't believe me. Apparently the friend I played some games with played some Halo CE and he said that it bland and forgettable game. So I know that games like Halo definitely aren't universally liked. To be honest, I don't even know why Halo games are attractive to some people, especially on a console. ODST was probably the worst received game in the series too. Mostly because Bungie wanted to quit Microsoft and they had an agreement, that they must make two games in short time. That's why ODST was even a thing. It was a rushed project which wasn't a disaster, but it wasn't living up to standards that Halo series seemingly always had. Some reviewers also said that it was just a stopgap product until they release Reach. Also some said that it was more like DLC rather than a full Halo game. So it wasn't a great Halo game even back then.

And since you mentioned PS3 game, I want to tell you that I recently got a PS3 just so I could try out Gran Turismo 6. It was an awful thing to do, because I knew that PS3 kinda lacks anything else, that I would want to play and seller of it scammed me a bit. I got broken PS3. Anyway, I was recently trying to come up with a list of games that I think I could enjoy and whose are PS3 exclusives (there are exceptions to this rule). Here's the list:
journey
wipeout hd (fury)
heavy rain
little big planet
bomberman ultra
the ico and shadow of collosus collection
katamari forever
mainichi issho
rain
ratchet and clank (tools of destruction) (collection)
ridge racer 7
yakuza series
valkyria chronicles
Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F
mirror's edge
sleeping dogs
steins gate
Toro to Morimori

What do you think about those games?
ODST had that weird single player nonsense and it had firefight. It came with a multiplayer disc for Halo 3 with all of the DLC the one I had. ODST overall was the same engine as Halo 3, but mostly felt stunted in gameplay playing as a regular human and so on. It really didn't have stealth to go with the silenced weapons or anything, so I guess it was rushed. It really was more off a spin-off thing anyway from what I can tell.

I can understand disliking Halo though. Many people actually did not like it and considered it to be a child's game (it really should have been rated T for teen instead of M for mature). I liked it especially being a kid when I played it. It was mostly the fun of hearing the dialogue and funny quotes, as well as killing is fun in that game. CoD single player isn't fun to play for the sake actually shooting; the entertainment was trying to not die in co-op otherwise it had nothing to it. They are just faceless soldiers that you just shoot down. In Halo, your enemies are weirdos that cower from your attacks. It is a different model. Halo CE could have been a generic standalone Sci-Fi game, the story actually gets elaborated upon in the second game on. In Halo CE your enemies don't really get elaborated on and you are just killing aliens. Based on what you said though, you probably wouldn't find the other games so good either since gameplay had minimal change. Halo CE had fewer guns, fewer actual characters and you didn't even know anything about your enemy unless you read the instruction manual. Halo 2 was the most successful original Xbox Live game so multiplayer was at least good. I liked multiplayer but it was slower at finding players and unlike CoD games, you don't create a class, you pick up weapons as you play another difference. I'm sure Halo 5 is basically CoD though at this point I have no interest in playing that.

I used to play Gran Turmiso 4 on PS2 a little bit. I wasn't a car person, but I bought GT 5 and just was annoyed because of long loading screens. But it looked good.

I didn't play many of them so I will talk about some.

1. Wipeout HD, I downloaded it onto my PS3. I really liked the graphics especially at the time. Racing games tend to push more photorealistic imagery in my experience. I mainly played this was my PS3 music in the background when I was bored. The Mobile version on PS Vita was actually the only game I really enjoyed on it. I think I played partway through some of the challenges. I liked the Vita handling of controls a lot better, on the PS3 I had very strong safety railing so the cars wouldn't hit the sides, I know I could change that but the Vita version just had the right amount of challenge to it and I think I might have used high safety things. I liked this game regardless but I didn't go heavy beyond arcade mode. I don't remember the other mode, maybe Zen mode might ring a bell but I loved it on PS Vita and PS3.

Little Big Planet: tbh I think I played this for 5 minutes but I didn't have a problem with those 5 minutes. It was actually nice though to see less "mature" title that was still fun. I had a PS friend who always told me to download Papaton. But I think was a PSP game anyway.

Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction: I always liked Ratchet and Clank in PS2 area and I think there was nothing wrong with this game except for a major flaw I encountered. I actually finished the single player and got to my second play through. I actually never got the RYNO in this game but I wanted to. So the second play through, a game stopping glitch occurred. I don't remember exactly but there were space worms or something that you had to kill to get these crystals to move in the single player. The problem was I got the crystals and spent them on something so the worms never respawned so I was stuck in that portion of the game. It kind of ruined the game. I also recall doing a glitch I figured out myself to get either unlimited something, I think there were weapon upgrade points. But that's a game I played when I first got PS3 and didn't really follow up on. I think I played a Pirate Spin off of R&C once and I don't think I ever played a Crack in Time. I think there was another game that completely changed the tone of the series that I did play later on but I can't remember if it was just a trial.

R&C Collection, I asked for it for Christmas. Ordered from GameStop and the disc was broken and it was a used copy. So I never actually got to play it. From my understanding it was just a high-res textured version of the original games so not a crazy remaster. I had already played the original games so I just left it and didn't care. This was back when I had to ask my parents to buy me things and I had no cards to pay anything. I just left it.

Mirror's Edge, this was way before my time. My cousin actually played this game and I watched. This was a couple of years before I bought PS3. He also had the orange box with Half Life 2, Portal and Team Fortress 2. So I heard about those games when I was kid but knew nothing much about them except I saw someone else play them. Portal was a nice one and I eventually played Portal 2 with my brother I know those aren't exclusives.

I played a demo of sleeping dogs and I thought it was good. But never bought the full version, I think it was somewhat late in the lifecycle before I stopped really playing PS3. That or I'm just confusing it with Watch Dogs.

The Exclusives I had were R&C of course, Uncharted Collection, Killzone 2-3 and God of War collection which was bundled.

Uncharted as I mentioned I liked the characters and story. It felt like I was watching a movie as I played the game. But fighting was clunky and not fun. The thing is I finished the third game first and then got somewhat into the first before stopping.

GoW: similarly I played the third game first and finished it. Then tried to play the other two games and didn't make it far. It was an interesting art style and concept. Plus it was sufficiently violent for my needs.

Killzone: I played the third game first. Not bad, but the music/dialogue syncing was noticeably poor. I've never seen something like that before. Gameplay was alright, I played through it. But the story was nonexistent, as well as characters. At best you could shoot people and they would bleed somewhat. I heard the second game was better. I tried it out and have finished it. But it was basically the same problems. The graphics lacked post-processing effects compared to the newer game, but eh. Back then everything was about this idea of using 90% or more of the PS3 processing power for these exclusives. I never progressed to next PS4 Killzone and never played exclusives on it before I got rid of it.

·
11,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
I can understand disliking Halo though. Many people actually did not like it and considered it to be a child's game (it really should have been rated T for teen instead of M for mature). I liked it especially being a kid when I played it. It was mostly the fun of hearing the dialogue and funny quotes, as well as killing is fun in that game. CoD single player isn't fun to play for the sake actually shooting; the entertainment was trying to not die in co-op otherwise it had nothing to it. They are just faceless soldiers that you just shoot down. In Halo, your enemies are weirdos that cower from your attacks. It is a different model. Halo CE could have been a generic standalone Sci-Fi game, the story actually gets elaborated upon in the second game on. In Halo CE your enemies don't really get elaborated on and you are just killing aliens. Based on what you said though, you probably wouldn't find the other games so good either since gameplay had minimal change. Halo CE had fewer guns, fewer actual characters and you didn't even know anything about your enemy unless you read the instruction manual. Halo 2 was the most successful original Xbox Live game so multiplayer was at least good. I liked multiplayer but it was slower at finding players and unlike CoD games, you don't create a class, you pick up weapons as you play another difference. I'm sure Halo 5 is basically CoD though at this point I have no interest in playing that.
I'm not sure how game rating works, but it's arguable whether it should have been rated for T instead of M. Also they seem to agree that it's not for teen, because PEGI rated it 16. Afterall, Colin McRae DiRT is rated 12, mostly because of some profanity in character language. Online multiplayer is also considered not good for kids, because people can be assholes. Halo has actual violence, alien blood, unsuitable language. So I guess it makes sense for it to be rated as it is. I have Star Wars the force unleashed. It's rated 12, but it has less bad stuff. At least they are consistent.

Call of Duty single player mode was fun. It's literally what you can expect from World War based game. It was very atmospheric at the time, had memorable characters and missions, but it that was abused. There was no real reason to milk series after second game and console adaptations (like finest hour). And later they thought that instead of World War they could find a new setting where war was and they really struggled. Some of the later Call of Duties became very futuristic and people seemingly couldn't absorb their story and were disinterested in it (Advanced Warfare?). I think that when Call of Duty series started to explore new concepts, they lost their own identity. They themselves didn't know what they wanted to be and so started chaotic adding and removing of elements from it, as well as their focus at big events (WW2) started to be go to smaller events or even fictional ones. It wasn't fun anymore and people just expected to have some bad guys they could eliminate. It lost its face and its obvious that developers have no idea what setting they should choose. Now it's really just money milking machine.

I guess I will never like Halo series then.

I used to play Gran Turmiso 4 on PS2 a little bit. I wasn't a car person, but I bought GT 5 and just was annoyed because of long loading screens. But it looked good.
I know I will like it. I really love Forza Motorsport 3 and played it a lot, but since I played it so much it's getting pretty stale. I mostly drive JDM cars and I pretty much have bought same cars over 5 times already. Gran Turismo offers many more cars in which I'm interested in, I know I will like that aspect. I just worry about physics, which weren't always great there. Gran Turismo 1 had pretty awful physics, but it could have been due to PS1 eing very weak console. I think that it evolved since then, but I have no way to know that until I try. What worries me more is that Dualshock 3 feels pretty awful in hands. It probably was made for small hands. Also D-pad and triggers feel really awful. For some reason my specific controller has different feeling triggers. One feels much more mushy than other. I actually took it apart twice and I couldn't find why it was that way. It was pretty molested when I got it. It has chewing gum put into trigger, it smelled really bad from smoker, it was all dirty and filthy. It was so filthy that it was a better idea to burn it before it kills someone.

It was actually nice though to see less "mature" title that was still fun.
This is what I'm aiming to achieve. I really want games that are fun to play, but aren't made too mature. That's why my list doesn't have God of War in it, because it's too filthy. And at this point there should be a comment like "why you didn't buy Wii instead of PS3?" and my answer to that is that it looks childish and I don't enjoy many Nintendo characters.

I played a demo of sleeping dogs and I thought it was good. But never bought the full version, I think it was somewhat late in the lifecycle before I stopped really playing PS3. That or I'm just confusing it with Watch Dogs.
Sleeping Dogs and Watch Dogs aren't related at all. Anyway, I completed that game and I think it was great. To be honest, one of the masterpieces of gaming, that never got recognition they deserved. I never had a physical version and I just want it to have something tangible. Or maybe even want to find something like collector's edition, so I get some extras like map, poster, guide or etc.

·
Registered
29,014 Posts
I'm not sure how game rating works, but it's arguable whether it should have been rated for T instead of M. Also they seem to agree that it's not for teen, because PEGI rated it 16. Afterall, Colin McRae DiRT is rated 12, mostly because of some profanity in character language. Online multiplayer is also considered not good for kids, because people can be assholes. Halo has actual violence, alien blood, unsuitable language. So I guess it makes sense for it to be rated as it is. I have Star Wars the force unleashed. It's rated 12, but it has less bad stuff. At least they are consistent.

Call of Duty single player mode was fun. It's literally what you can expect from World War based game. It was very atmospheric at the time, had memorable characters and missions, but it that was abused. There was no real reason to milk series after second game and console adaptations (like finest hour). And later they thought that instead of World War they could find a new setting where war was and they really struggled. Some of the later Call of Duties became very futuristic and people seemingly couldn't absorb their story and were disinterested in it (Advanced Warfare?). I think that when Call of Duty series started to explore new concepts, they lost their own identity. They themselves didn't know what they wanted to be and so started chaotic adding and removing of elements from it, as well as their focus at big events (WW2) started to be go to smaller events or even fictional ones. It wasn't fun anymore and people just expected to have some bad guys they could eliminate. It lost its face and its obvious that developers have no idea what setting they should choose. Now it's really just money milking machine.

I guess I will never like Halo series then.

I know I will like it. I really love Forza Motorsport 3 and played it a lot, but since I played it so much it's getting pretty stale. I mostly drive JDM cars and I pretty much have bought same cars over 5 times already. Gran Turismo offers many more cars in which I'm interested in, I know I will like that aspect. I just worry about physics, which weren't always great there. Gran Turismo 1 had pretty awful physics, but it could have been due to PS1 eing very weak console. I think that it evolved since then, but I have no way to know that until I try. What worries me more is that Dualshock 3 feels pretty awful in hands. It probably was made for small hands. Also D-pad and triggers feel really awful. For some reason my specific controller has different feeling triggers. One feels much more mushy than other. I actually took it apart twice and I couldn't find why it was that way. It was pretty molested when I got it. It has chewing gum put into trigger, it smelled really bad from smoker, it was all dirty and filthy. It was so filthy that it was a better idea to burn it before it kills someone.

This is what I'm aiming to achieve. I really want games that are fun to play, but aren't made too mature. That's why my list doesn't have God of War in it, because it's too filthy. And at this point there should be a comment like "why you didn't buy Wii instead of PS3?" and my answer to that is that it looks childish and I don't enjoy many Nintendo characters.

Sleeping Dogs and Watch Dogs aren't related at all. Anyway, I completed that game and I think it was great. To be honest, one of the masterpieces of gaming, that never got recognition they deserved. I never had a physical version and I just want it to have something tangible. Or maybe even want to find something like collector's edition, so I get some extras like map, poster, guide or etc.
Maybe I wouldn't say it should be T, but there is a massive amount of room in M or whatever adult rating. Halo vs God of War for example are completely different scales of violence. In God of War you regularly tear people apart in an aggressive way, but also it has a sex simulation at point. But due to the setting, there aren't really "bad words" that I remember. Bad words are pretty relative for me anyway. The truth is just like other games, 11 years olds would login and start playing multiplayer. Nobody really listened to the ratings system. One of the first games we bought was rated M when I was 5 or 6 years old and I think it is one of the worst games in terms of violence that I've played. I'm not gonna knock 11 year olds for playing violent video games because I've been doing it, the only difference is that now they have headsets and can go online where they deal with people and act in awful ways to other people because they are behind a screen.

WaW had a darker single player than the previous games. I never really cared for the futuristic ones at all. The modern warfare wasn't exciting, I actually didn't like it when I was younger and wondered why one would want to simulate a modern war in people are currently losing life. An interesting twist would have been to have people question the ethics of the players action.

I would suggest Halo 2, and if you don't like that then you don't like Halo. Halo 2 and 3 are mostly properly made. Halo CE was more primitive. It lacked player destructible vehicles, hijacking, and so on. More importantly the main story is fleshed out. Halo CE could have been a standalone Sci-Fi shooter. It feels more like it evolved into a proper game after as before the enemies were sparse in differences and didn't even speak English or have a motivation outside of the instruction manual.

True, it wasn't really ergonomic and was mostly a remake of the previous controller. I don't think they allow for crash damage in that game. It is kind of strange to think how such a thing is possible as bouncing off of wars and not harming the car.

Well they had those games where you went to the store to buy character action figures that you had to place on a device in order to play as them in-game. That sounds like a cash grab. One of them was Disney Infinity but I can't remember the other one that I played. It had a lot of unique characters. The thing about "Mature" games and content in general is they tend to rely on language and stereotypes to be entertaining. Ratchet and Clank is a favorite for me just to the sheer amount of wordplay they used. They had to actually be creative and stupid to be funny. I don't think that is actually dead in games, it is probably more hidden as I haven't touched reasonable games like that in a while. And that game was rated T but it was also later dumbed down and rated E. So I wouldn't just pick something made for 5 year olds and expect a masterpiece.

Alright it was definitely sleeping dogs. Knights of the Old Republic was a good RPG. Perhaps you don't necessarily need to like Star Wars beforehand, but I think it is good if you want to see the black and white nature of it attacked from within. RPG games are hard to get into for me due to time consumption.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Fallout 3. It's not a bad game itself but rather the total loss of identity.
Those are fighting words.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
11,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #167

I know that thread isn't exactly fitting for this type of content, but I thought I would share it anyway. Video is full of truth about game industry.

·
Banned
4,187 Posts
I wouldn’t call Flower a ‘bad’ or even the ‘worst’ video game (maybe more of an interactive ‘experience’), but it’s one of the most disappointing on the mobile. No, it’s not the calming or meditative experience other people are describing: it’s confusing and hard to control because the tilt controls aren’t responsive, and the other control schemes are ‘fiddly’. And when the camera banks sharply in any direction, the effect is disorientating. This is a case of a good concept and intention marred by poor technical execution.

·
11,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Gotta land DiRT Rally series on this list of shame. As game, it's kinda okay, but physics are really trashy and unrealistic. Seemingly after any bump car loses all gravity and starts flying. Besides that, cars don't seem to behave like they should. And since the whole purpose of game is to be a decent sim and physics aren't made to make driving fun either, these series are fucking pointless.

And DiRT hasn't only started to go downhill after Rally series. It actually happened since DiRT 2, but at least those games were still somewhat fun to play. Since DiRT 4, series reached the lowest lows and acceptable game threshold.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The Simpsons NES and SNES games. For the NES, Bart vs the World and Bart vs the Space Mutants. The jumping was broken, which is an issue for a platforming game. SNES games were all mini-game fests with bad controls/absurd difficulty.
I know this is an old comment, but I just had to respond. I wasn't sure if I was alone in having played such a horrendously bad game. Ugh, The Simpsons!

Reactions: bigstupidgrin

·
Registered
2,527 Posts

The Tribez

Don't get me wrong, this is an AMAZING game. Awesome graphics, gameplay, sound. The only issue is it's a progress game that, well, doesn't save your progress very well, so what's the point?.

Reactions: Pifanjr

·
Registered
79 Posts
TES Skyrim - graphics is rehashed Fallout 3,story is non-existent.After you kill hundred dragons,guess what is main opponent-a dragon,of course.Oblivion-you are no hero in this game,you are just a servant of Martin of Kvatch.New Fallout 3d series-they are just repeating
stories from Fallout 1 & 2.

161 - 172 of 172 Posts