Personality Cafe banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hello! :)
I'm actually writing one right now; it's not finished, of course, only 140-150 pages or so but I'm still enthustiastic about it.It's about a teacher-student relationship.Oh, I forgot to add that I don't know if it's your average romantic book, because I write mostly about the pressures society puts on their relationship and not about lovey-dovey stuff.But anyway, I'd say INFPs are somewhat able to write a romance novel if inspired enough.

Reactions: KC

·
Registered
17,143 Posts
Oh sure.

Some of the best writers have been INFP.

Check out this list of supposed INFP writers:

William Shakespeare, bard of Avon
Anne Frank, author (The Diary of a Young Girl)
Helen Keller, author
Laura Ingalls Wilder, author (Little House on the Prairie)
Amy Tan, author (The Joy-Luck Club, The Kitchen God's Wife)
Annie Dillard, author (Pilgrim at Tinker Creek)
A. A. Milne, author, poet (Winnie the Pooh)
Homer, epic poet (The Iliad, The Odyssey)
Virgil (Publius Vergilius Maro), poet (The Aeneid)
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, poet (Evangeline)
James Herriot, veterinarian, author (All Creatures Great and Small)

...and then there is this page. Take a look at that! Wow, there are some listed on that page that I was very surprised they even made it to INFP-land/List but LOTS of Romancy writers there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I subscribe!Also, don't forget about Emily Bronte, Oscar Wilde and Hans Christian Andersen! :)

I've found something interesting, take a look at this:
Writing Process of the INFP
INFPs may approach a writing project in the following ways:​

• Work best in a quiet environment where they won’t be interrupted. They like autonomy so they can perfect their writing according to their own high standards without having to follow someone else’s schedule.
  • Prefer writing about personal topics. You may lose your creative drive if the subject isn’t meaningful to you. If so, try taking an angle that allows you to write about your feelings on the topic. If you’re an INFP technical writer, look for ways to connect with readers by anticipating and meeting their needs.
  • Have a keen insight into the nature of things. Their prose often conveys startling images of mood or atmosphere rather than objects. They enjoy complexity and can patiently unravel dense material. They are able to see many sides of an argument and so may have difficulty reaching a conclusion. During the writing process, they may often pause to consider alternatives or to seek connections between seemingly disparate things.
source: The INFP Writing Personality: Elegant*Persuasion « Andrea J. Wenger: Write*with*Personality

·
Registered
60 Posts
I subscribe!Also, don't forget about Emily Bronte, Oscar Wilde and Hans Christian Andersen! :)

I've found something interesting, take a look at this:
Writing Process of the INFP
INFPs may approach a writing project in the following ways:​

• Work best in a quiet environment where they won’t be interrupted. They like autonomy so they can perfect their writing according to their own high standards without having to follow someone else’s schedule.
  • Prefer writing about personal topics. You may lose your creative drive if the subject isn’t meaningful to you. If so, try taking an angle that allows you to write about your feelings on the topic. If you’re an INFP technical writer, look for ways to connect with readers by anticipating and meeting their needs.
  • Have a keen insight into the nature of things. Their prose often conveys startling images of mood or atmosphere rather than objects. They enjoy complexity and can patiently unravel dense material. They are able to see many sides of an argument and so may have difficulty reaching a conclusion. During the writing process, they may often pause to consider alternatives or to seek connections between seemingly disparate things.
source: The INFP Writing Personality: Elegant*Persuasion « Andrea J. Wenger: Write*with*Personality

·
Registered
118 Posts
I wrote a sort of anti-romance for NaNoWriMo just this past November. I got a couple of characters together then destroyed their relationship. The story had some promise, but since it was NaNoWriMo and I was in a hurry I executed everything crudely. I'm not sure if what I made happen is believable. And although I do have a novel I'm working on which has characters who will experience mutual attraction, I don't think of it as a romance novel, nor am I ever likely to try to write one.

Having read a tiny sampling of fictional sex scenes and seen their ridiculousness, I have sometimes been tempted to write a story full of failed sex scenes that would be mercilessly realistic and either make the reader swear to celibacy or pee their pants laughing - even more of an anti-romance than the one I wrote in November (I didn't really get the chance to try this idea then). Although I guess that might not be anti-romance, but anti-erotica . . .

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Who is Edward Cullen?

Reactions: Reality_check

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone who's serious about writing a romance novel should join the Romance Writers of America (or the equivalent in your country). Writing fiction of any type requires an understanding of craft. The field is very competitive now, so schmaltz or melodrama won't get published. You need to write about fully realized characters going through realistic challenges. Romance can run the gamut from sweet to very hot, so if you don't feel comfortable writing sex scenes, then don't write them. Also, by definition, a romance novel must have an optimistic ending, so if everyone dies, it's not a romance. ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Anyone who's serious about writing a romance novel should join the Romance Writers of America (or the equivalent in your country). Writing fiction of any type requires an understanding of craft. The field is very competitive now, so schmaltz or melodrama won't get published. You need to write about fully realized characters going through realistic challenges. Romance can run the gamut from sweet to very hot, so if you don't feel comfortable writing sex scenes, then don't write them. Also, by definition, a romance novel must have an optimistic ending, so if everyone dies, it's not a romance. ;)
I completely disagree. I tend to agree with Charlie Kaufman from Adaption (great movie; watch it!) You're not supposed to follow some sort of formula (not to be confused with "formulaic plot") where this and that has to be in the novel and characters have great realizations and they grow, and for some reason you're never supposed to mix more than two genrés, and all that "show don't tell" bs as well. The only thing that is required from storytelling is that it is your own vision, and is told in a way that you want it to be told. If you want to learn how to fail as a writer and redo what has been done for ages, then go ahead and apply all the tvtropes stuff (which is like a gigantic database full of bullshit quasi-critic fail), or you can actually do your own stuff, see what other people think about it, and apply the criticisms that you actually agre with (as opposed to applying what you think you ought to agree with.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not saying that you can't write a romantic story unless it follows a particular formula; I'm saying it's not a category romance unless it has an optimistic ending. That's part of the definition of category romance. If it doesn't have an optimistic ending, it will be categorized as something else, such as women's fiction. That's the way the industry works. I'm not telling anyone what kind of story they ought to write. To be successful, writers must follow their heart. But they must also know and understand the industry.

·
Banned
1,833 Posts
weak introverted idealistic vulnerable girl trapped in a mundane and cruel world (INFP)

rescued by a self-sacrificing, endlessly giving, caring immortal that doesn't give two shits about himself (ENFJ or INFJ)
I had to read the first book for a class on gender in modern YA lit and it was one of the worst things I've ever read. Complete description of a codependent relationship between a weak-willed, bland girl and a controlling, obsessive century old manchild written by a conservative Mormon. I think it's one of the worst pieces of drivel to hit the shelves primarily because the message it gives to girls is that codependency is a great idea. Also my bet on the MBTI type for the girl would be ISFJ not INFP.

Twilight aside, I'm sure an INFP could easily write a romance novel but I think a lot of us with the initiative to write a novel would much rather prefer to write in a more interesting genre.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Does an INFP know how to breathe?
Of course I think that they could write a love novel, they are some of the most poetic people that I've ever met so of course they can write poetry~ xD

Reactions: Wellsy

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Normally I prefer to write about outlandish things. But if I did write a romance novel it would be very old fashioned, I definately wouldn't go into depth with the sex scenes. I like the idea of a man falling in love with a beautiful blind women, stuff like that. If I did write it, I would never let anyone else read it :laughing:
Hahahaha that was so cute.

Reactions: Luke

·
Registered
208 Posts
Uh.. yeah!? Absolutely. I love writing romance. I like to think I'm quite good at it too.

• What are your thoughts and feelings about writing a romance novel?
  • -- I love writing that type of story
  • Could you do it?
  • -- Yes
  • What sort would it be?
  • -- I like to start off with friendships and really let the reader (who is no one, but whatever) get to know the characters. I know my specialty in this area is a happy, yet not a happily-ever-after kind of ending. Like for example, the love is not returned and in the end the two just get over it and stay friends (which sounds a little dull when you say it like that, but I swear it's not).
  • Any Unique Selling Points or quirks that you reckon would be good?
  • -- can't think of anything right now, except maybe that I would never write a dull love story that's totally predictable
  • Context?
  • -- I think it would take place in the present, with seemingly regular people
  • Main characters (number, sexuality, location, etc.)?
  • -- Not that many characters. I like to focus on a few and really go into who they are instead of introducing a whole bunch of characters you don't really know
  • Would it be (in simplistic terms) happy or sad?
  • -- a bit of both
  • Or, anything else you think of...
  • -- I just love writing romance stories because I feel like it's not just about that, but also about showing characters' weaknesses and how things can end up so much differently than how you would expect at the beginning

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think I would totally write a romance novel, but not something sappy that could make me throw up glitter or something. I mean, I love a good love story or a story about love (*pokes (500) Days of Summer*) but not the cliche types/rom-com (I hate rom com :\)

If I would write a romance novel or screenplay, I would make it somewhat like in the style of John Green's books. The stories are about love, but they aren't cliched. They're interesting, witty, and gosh the emotions they convey.

I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you. -The Fault In Our Stars
That is a story I would want to write. And interesting enough, John Green has stated he is an INFP which makes me so so so so happy. And I love tragedy at the end of stories instead of conventional Hollywood ending (*again pokes (500) Days of Summer and Once*). I love (LOVE) bittersweet anythings.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.