Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am new here. You can call me Georgiana.

Well, today marked the start of some extremely sanity-depriving classes that I'm going to have to somehow pass this year. But I suppose that ap chemistry and biology can tend to have a stressful effect on people, especially the artsy, creative writer types like me. And since you're probably wondering why I'm forcing ionic compounds down my throat instead of writing a fantasy novel, I dream of someday becoming a psychiatrist. c:
I also find science fascinating.

But in order to realize my dream, I'm going to have to study myself to death, be reincarnated by some Monster energy drinks, and then die by statistics.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a bad student. I already study like crazy and do love these two sciences. But in order to make it through the year with A's, I'm going to have to become an beyond insanely perfect student. My study habits are good, but they could be a lot better.

And so I thought, who better to ask for tips then the INTPs, the Thinkers?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
How do you learn best? Listening/watching? Reading? Writing notes? Talking with people until you understand a concept?

Find how you learn best and then do that.

What are your study habits now and why do you think they could be better?

1,237 Posts
And so I thought, who better to ask for tips then the INTPs, the Thinkers?
Ah, the irony! *le gasp*

INTPs aren't known for their amazing studying habits. They're known for not studying at all and scraping an A on the day of the test through sheer ability to write complete bs and make it sound convincing. Also, we like to dabble in many different topics, so sometimes we can recall such knowledge out of the blue from a previous curiosity/obsession.

Now the people to ask would be the ESFJs. I've known many an ESFJ who maybe wasn't the most intelligent in the class, yet managed to get good grades due to sheer effort and determination.

Apart from that- hello new INFJ person. :D

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
INTP Studying:

Procrastinate... procrastinate... procrastinate... "OH SHIT I HAVE LIKE 2 HOURS BEFORE MY EXAM" ... "Oh, well. I have two hours."... procrastinate... review materials for 15 minutes... go get something to eat... realize you have to go to class now if you don't want to be late... briefly review materials as you're walking in the door.... "96%! Not bad. I wonder if I could get 100% if I studied..."

·
Registered
428 Posts
Would anyone be willing to share a few tips on studying?
Studying for tests is mostly just a feat of short-term memory or factoid regurgitation. One popular method is called SQ3R (survey, question, read, recite, and review).

You might also be interested in the book Your Memory: How It Works & How To Improve It by Kenneth Higbee, which explains how memory works and goes over many simple methods for recalling large and often detailed tracts of information.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
INTP Studying:

Procrastinate... procrastinate... procrastinate... "OH SHIT I HAVE LIKE 2 HOURS BEFORE MY EXAM" ... "Oh, well. I have two hours."... procrastinate... review materials for 15 minutes... go get something to eat... realize you have to go to class now if you don't want to be late... briefly review materials as you're walking in the door.... "96%! Not bad. I wonder if I could get 100% if I studied..."
Sadly it didn’t always end nicely in my case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do you learn best? Listening/watching? Reading? Writing notes? Talking with people until you understand a concept?

Find how you learn best and then do that.

What are your study habits now and why do you think they could be better?
I learn best reading, but am also helped when I talk with people. I write a boatload of notes, summarize too much, and then write more flashcards that I commit to memory.

I think that I study best in complete silence with no distractions. Usually I try to lock myself in my room at my desk for days before a big exam...
Yeah, I know, I'm a super-nerd.
I also try to memorize everything, which I'm starting to think is not a very good habit.

INTPs aren't known for their amazing studying habits. They're known for not studying at all and scraping an A on the day of the test through sheer ability to write complete bs and make it sound convincing.
Hmmm...
Well, then I definetely assumed wrong! But thank you very much for telling me about this. I had just thought that since INTPs have interesting debates, they would be the more studious type. I will ask the ESFJs as well.

·
Banned
5,394 Posts
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a bad student. I already study like crazy and do love these two sciences. But in order to make it through the year with A's, I'm going to have to become an beyond insanely perfect student. My study habits are good, but they could be a lot better.
WTF is studying??

EDIT: <--still pulls a 3.4:cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You might also be interested in the book Your Memory: How It Works & How To Improve It by Kenneth Higbee, which explains how memory works and goes over many simple methods for recalling large and often detailed tracts of information.
Yes, I would be very interested.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Yeah, the others have pretty much summed it up already. I never study... never! I didn't even study for my final exams in high school. We got two weeks off before those exams (so we could study) and I spent those two weeks watching Star Trek. It's exactly why we are called the Thinkers, because we think. We're good at memorizing a whole lot of information and constructing logical frameworks for this information. Studying isn't necessary... I actually believe that studying (in the traditional sense) is bad for an INTP. I can't stand the repetitive nature of 'studying', it's boring and it disrupts my natural thinking processes.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
In high school or college?
Randomly, all the way till I obtained my masters. Occasionally I could fail an exam, sometimes I was top, or close to, top in the class. French got in the way of passively absorbing information for some of the time. Sometimes it was poor teaching, sometimes an incapacity on my part to intuitively understand a concept, sometimes ambiguity in an exam. Two things remained constant though, I never studied and I was apathetic about most fields(probably because of depression).

I naturally default to processing information and problem solving to pass the time, but normally I would just ponder my own philosophical ideas and rarely sought out information as communicated by other people. I found trying to understand others and their explanations to be too tiresome.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Randomly, all the way till I obtained my masters. Occasionally I could fail an exam, sometimes I was top, or close to, top in the class. French got in the way of passively absorbing information for some of the time. Sometimes it was poor teaching, sometimes an incapacity on my part to intuitively understand a concept, sometimes ambiguity in an exam. Two things remained constant though, I never studied and I was apathetic about most fields(probably because of depression).

I naturally default to processing information and problem solving to pass the time, but normally I would just ponder my own philosophical ideas and rarely sought out information as communicated by other people. I found trying to understand others and their explanations to be too tiresome.
Ah. I'm kinda like that too. I'm certain most of my best grades were not individual effort, but rather an interest in the subject matter or a really interesting teacher. I'm drawn to people who are passionate about what they know, so I would just soak up anything from people like that. My worst grade in college, unfortunately, was this magical realism literature class that should have been labeled "new age nonsense for gullible minds." Super easy class. Should've been an easy A. Just didn't care.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Ah. I'm kinda like that too. I'm certain most of my best grades were not individual effort, but rather an interest in the subject matter or a really interesting teacher. I'm drawn to people who are passionate about what they know, so I would just soak up anything from people like that. My worst grade in college, unfortunately, was this magical realism literature class that should have been labeled "new age nonsense for gullible minds." Super easy class. Should've been an easy A. Just didn't care.
Yeah, I also find it much easier to follow the “charasmatic” types. I’m glad I chose the sciences so that I could avoid classes like that :p

·
Registered
369 Posts
I don't ever study, but I do read material that's required for English. To stay focused, I usually have something next to me to munch on.

Food for thought. Literally.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Yeah, I also find it much easier to follow the “charasmatic” types. I’m glad I chose the sciences so that I could avoid classes like that :p
I really like magical realism. Pan's Labyrinth, Whale Rider, Edward Scissorhands, Finding Neverland, and writing by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Paulo Coehlo, Kafka, Jorge Luis Borges, etc...

This class was horridly mislabeled.

I like the sciences too -- I was planning on doing neuroscience but a terribly boring organic chemistry professor turned me off the subject entirely.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I really like magical realism. Pan's Labyrinth, Whale Rider, Edward Scissorhands, Finding Neverland, and writing by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Paulo Coehlo, Kafka, Jorge Luis Borges, etc...

This class was horridly mislabeled.

I like the sciences too -- I was planning on doing neuroscience but a terribly boring organic chemistry professor turned me off the subject entirely.
Curse these bastards who whimsically play with our fates.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts