Votes: 42 76.4%
  • No

Votes: 13 23.6%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How long? What kind of therapy? If you are going to therapy, do you trust your therapist? If you have in the past, did you trust your therapist? Have you ever had a bad experience with a therapist or in therapy?

·
Registered
236 Posts
How long? Until I'm told I don't need to see him anymore.
What kind of therapy? The kind where I sit down and talk to my therapist? o.o
If you are going to therapy, do you trust your therapist? Yes.
If you have in the past, did you trust your therapist? My past therapists were asswipes.
Have you ever had a bad experience with a therapist or in therapy? Yes.

·
Banned
1,858 Posts
I've never went but I've thought of it.

edit: Sorry I didn't really answer your question. I just went along with it..

I went through rough times with school. I felt overwhelmed with information and didn't know how to cut it down to put it into an essay. I had bad time management. I don't know if I couldn't focus, was indecisive or what exactly went on. Felt discouraged, didn't know what I was in for. Just felt like it was something I had to do, no excitement for it.
Had a bad relationship. Maybe I couldn't handle my emotions. I got too into him which led to insecurities.
I had a problem with things not going perfectly.
I think I'm dealing much better now. But ever once in a while, like I did, I imagined seeing a therapist (how strange is that) and just venting. Sometimes I'd just break down and think this is not normal. I bet it'll still happen.
I cried in front of a teacher. His class was early and it took long to travel. I often made it too late so I skipped. I got really down about it. Once after class, I just approached him and tried to tell him about this. And I ended up crying. Pretty crazy. It was awkward seeing him after.
Things weren't going well with my ex. So I went to the girl's washroom. A girl from my high school who he knew went in to see if I was okay.
I ditched my friends after dropping them off the metro with my car. A friend said a comment which made me think I could've done better. I blew it out of proportion, it reminded me of other things. And I broke down.
I'm not sure how to explain it. I'd have to be back in those spots. Sometimes, I get emotional and I don't really understand myself.

·
Banned
1,858 Posts
I feel like if you were to go see a therapist, much like how I saw a career counselor, it's up to you in the end.

I'm not qualified in psychology, so I don't know about more serious problems at a larger scale.

But, I'd see it as a sort of comfort. And maybe it'd feel superficial. They are being paid to do their job. They can try to be helpful and personal. But, that's up to how much you're willing to share and what they take of it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i have had years of therapy starting when i was very young up until i was about 21 on and off. my experience with therapists is that you never know what you are going to get. its hit or miss. if your going to see a therapist you may have to try a few out before you find one your comfortable with. they all have different styles. in order to make any real change from therapy you should prepare yourself to see one regularly long term. overall my experience has been good but then again i started taking psych classes when i was 15 and was set on being a psychologist when i was 16 all the way through my therapy years.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I'm in therapy right now. I go about twice a month. It's been very helpful. My therapist is an ENFJ so we understand each other very well.

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
I have been in therapy, had a very good one, one so damn poor I went one visit - I was in a crises situation and he took the first session to do a personal history and talk apout "processing this thing out until we get you feeling good"- a tolally incompetent jerk.
Another was a clinical psycholigist - he asked, what's troubling you? in 5 minutes he was suggesting a referral for antidepressants, offering some coping strategies, did a short social history - I left feeling like there was a chance.
I some years later became an LCSW therapist - worked inpatient -and thoroughly enjoyed it. Did some good work.

There are some disturbing things that need mentioning. A national blind survey showed something like 30 percent of male therapist had sex with female clients - catch them vulnerable and hurting, hurt them worse. Other therapist concentrate on keeping clients unsettled and making those visits continue - ka-Ching! goes the cash register. The so-called "co dependency" disorder - unless it has changed since my retirement - is bogus - and the therapist codes the treatment as something else - defrauding the client and the 3rd party payer. The patient's med records are for life with a psych disorder he/she never had.

The first meeting should be a quick eveluation of the functional level, whether there is a crises, and some initial discussion to reassure the client - and watch for jargonese - that therapist is just trying to do a snow job.

In my inpatient work I had a mid-teen female - we had four days. I put in a lot of tiime with her, her legal guardian, developed a good aftercare program, some environmental change recommendations - and when I I had her discharge session, she said, "I have changed, but I did it - not you." I gave her a big smile and said, Good! for I will not be around to help, and it sounds like you are on your way to self management. 4 days.

I would look at it as if you were calling a plumber. Does he try to stop the leak and control the damage? Does he ask questionss that are relative to the problem?? Does he explain in simple terms what he will do? does he give you some idea of how many follow-up visits will be needed?
Same with the therapist.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I voted "no" only because I don't think I would ever go back. I've tried it four times and each time was always worst than the last. Now, I've pretty much just given up on the idea.

·
Registered
393 Posts
How long?
I have been seeing my therapist for nearly a year and a half.

What kind of therapy?
She is a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist, but does work with a variety of individuals, including people who have been diagnosed with Dissociative Identity Disorder. I see her for my Major Depressive Disorder and Primary Agoraphobia.

If you are going to therapy, do you trust your therapist? If you have in the past, did you trust your therapist?
I no longer trust my current therapist to do her job, or in the more general sense of the word.

Have you ever had a bad experience with a therapist or in therapy?
Yes. And because of this experience, I am currently seeking a new therapist.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I've been in therapy before, yes. Both for depression etc issues, and sex related stuff. I went the first time when I was 11, then after a while stopped going. During the sex therapy one, we had a few sessions but then she thought I needed to sort other problems out first, so she referred to me a more mainstream therapy thing, which I didn't bother going to. Maybe I'll go back to therapy one day... but at the moment, don't really know how it would help me....

·
Registered
384 Posts
How long? Depression: 2 months. Physical: 2 years.
What kind of therapy? For depression, my mother made me go, thought it would help with the experiences. Ridiculing the man did make me feel better though. Physical therapy, for a serious hip injury. ;)
If you are going to therapy, do you trust your therapist? No and no.
If you have in the past, did you trust your therapist? No
Have you ever had a bad experience with a therapist or in therapy? Yes.

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ ♂
16,613 Posts
As Bruce Springsteen once said: "Everyone can use a tune-up every now and then."

I have been in therapy many times with many different kinds of therapists at different stages in my life. It is good to get some objective viewpoints from someone whose trained to find them.

Reactions: PlacentaCake

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I would have in the past- my mother had even offered to take me to see a therapist/psychiatrist several times. I wasn't sure how much they would help though, because in the end I think they're only reaffirming what I already know. I was also afraid they would just jack me up on pills and prescriptions.

Maybe I still would just to see how their opinions would differ from mine (they are trained after all) and half of me thinks it would be funny to fuck with their heads.

I do need help sometimes- but I always do it myself. I don't trust anybody enough. Self exploration is the best way to get myself out of ruts and lows.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I go to therapy now. Mostly for my anxiety and depression. I do trust my therapist mostly. Sometimes there are things that I don't wish to tell her because you know, some thoughts you just want to keep to yourself.

·
Banned
627 Posts
In college, there were only two therapists I felt comfortable with out of five I've seen. I would go back to therapy if I could afford a good one.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
How long?
I went for about a year in high school, and I started going again about two years ago. So, three years total.

What kind of therapy?

In high school I went for suicidal thoughts and then later I went back for anxiety issues. Right now I go mainly for self-esteem and to talk to someone who isn't biased.

If you are going to therapy, do you trust your therapist?
Yes, I absolutely love my current therapist.

If you have in the past, did you trust your therapist?

I've had three, and I've trusted each one more than the one before.

Have you ever had a bad experience with a therapist or in therapy?
Not really.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I used to go to a few psychiatrists. but I wouldn't go to one again because I feel like it's not of all that much help. and I really wouldn't want to use prescription medication again.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Never been to therapy.. WHAT? I AM NOT PARANOID! STOP IT ACCUSING ME!
Ohhh um.. This is awkward.

Okay okay.. In all seriousness, I don't necessarily have any objections to going to one.. I'm not sure what I would do, but I do know that I have way too many things I need to use money for, for me to be able to even consider it..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts