Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chefs are given space to practice their own creations and usually work individually, usually with only a few lower ranked chefs that will obey your every will. So, would INTP's make good chefs?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Any type will make a good anything, it all depends on where your passions lie

Reactions: 2fast4u2

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Sometimes the ability to do something overshadows passion and one's ability to do something is definitely affected by personality
But what ability? i mean i am an INTP typically one of the most serious thinkers of the bunch. But yet i can excel at most sports, and i practice parkour.

I see cooking just like i see everything else, there is a way of doing it right, there is a formula to successfully cooking. I use to cook and did a few courses aswell, I got told i wasn't half bad which from lack of true experience i found rather warming.

But why didn't i continue? because i am lazy and didn't feel like it had to, there was no passion, it isn't my personality that gets in the way of preventing me doing something, its the lack of passion and exictement

·
Registered
440 Posts
Are the INTPs you're talking about good at cooking? If yes, then yes.

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
4,086 Posts
it depends on how far they want to go...

if we use the tier system for defining the profession

they'd likely have some trouble getting to the upper tiers

without developing their weaker sides or getting outside support.

**(... let's face it... it's kind of like telling a fatty she can be miss america without a helluva lot of work and probably a few surgeries. If she's willing to settle for miss cankles, well, they'll still probably give her a crown and she can feel satisfied with where her talents and passions got her... before eventually cornering the real miss america in an alleyway purging, while she goes on a binge and devours her. There can be only one. But eh, that's true enough in the pursuit of anything. )

·
Registered
32 Posts
Can I cook? Yeah, not pro, but decent enough. Could become much better if I had the will, I have no doubt.
Would I make a good chef, even if I had amazing cooking skills? Hell no. I once worked with a very busy and talented chef, and after observing what the job required of him, I do not believe I have what it takes to be a good one.

However, that could also only be me talking. I enjoy and am very good at a couple things that we INTPs are supposedly all supposed to hate and suck at.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Don’t say that, the feminists will lynch you.

Then again many probably don’t want to marry, so they might congratulate you.

This thinking thing isn’t as easy it sounds.
Oh, no! Where should I hide :unsure:
I read 3 years ago in newspaper a reseach was done which claimed that women who consider themselves feminists are generally more happy in marriages and/or sexual life.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Chefs are given space to practice their own creations and usually work individually, usually with only a few lower ranked chefs that will obey your every will. So, would INTP's make good chefs?
Not if they have crap taste

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think anyone can be good at anything, regardless of their personality type. If you're interested in something and you want to pursue it, then go for it. I cook simplistic things, but I put my own spin on them to make them my own. For example, if I'm making ramen, instead of using the flavor packet msg powder whatever, I'll use chicken broth and add a mix of soy and teriyaki sauce and sesame oil, and then add an egg or two and some scallions. It's pretty damn good.

Another example would be making grilled cheese and instead of using the simple white bread and American cheese, I'll use sourdough bread and muenster cheese..soooooooooogood. lol.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I like frying stuff. Frying stuff is fun. Such a visceral experience. Also baking stuff is nice because you really just do what the recipe says and don't have to think about it too much (it's slightly cathartic, assuming I have the hours it takes for me to do it all). I can't really cook much, and when I do I don't put a ton of effort into it, but it's nice now and then. I can imagine being a professional food critic, but not a professional chef: I can't make quality decisions about food (or anything else) as fast as a chef needs to.

·
Registered
251 Posts
From what I understand, kitchens are ruthless, face paced environments with NO room for people's feelings. You're required constantly demonstrate creativity and have an intuitive grasp of what you and several other people are doing at once. In that respect, yes, an INTP would be perfect.

On the other hand, what self-respecting INTP likes being hot, away from a computer, and have very few opportunities to stop and have a good long think?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Professionally, I think an INTP would make a terrible cook. It's a very rigid, assembly-line type of environment, without much room for on the spot creativity. When I did it for a summer, the first 2-3 weeks were borderline terrifying, until I got used to it and just did my work while completely tuned out of the kitchen.
Even if you're the head chef in a higher up institution, you're going to need to do people management, quick external thinking, and extreme organisation. I don't know about the OP, but I don't think I have any of those skills at more than a basic level.

At home, it's a different issue. I personally enjoy cooking (when I have the desire for it) and I'm actually quite good at making all sorts of tasty food. I rarely follow recipes and generally go on intuition (unless it's a completely unfamiliar food). I'm severely disorganised though, and even if I've made a dish 1000x, I will forget to dice up an ingredient or two in advance. I also tend to have one focus at a time, so I'm kind of slow to make the gravy while tenting the roast and boiling the potatoes, for example.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts