Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think I'm most likely an IxFx and probably a 6w5 or 4w5, but I could be wrong.

I'm described as someone who is very sensitive, youthful/childlike, with an overall melancholy/sarcastic streak. From since I was little I felt like an outsider. I was painfully shy with severe anxiety and spent most of my time in my own head, creating my own fantasy worlds to give me comfort. I tend to be drawn towards the deeper, darker aspects of life and enjoy helping people with personal troubles (which is why I'd like to work in mental health). Even though I'm nearly 30, friends have compared me to typical grumpy emo characters such as Raven from Teen Titans or Wednesday Addams (but that's more of an exaggeration).

I feel like I'm prone just never being fully content. I'm always longing for something more or feeling like I'm missing something. I want to be individualistic but I also fear being separate from others. I have a fairly logical, realistic view of the world, but I often let my feelings come first. I guess this is why I'm prone to pessimism, because I'm aware my ideals will never be lived up to.

At my best, I'm modest, independent, easy-going 'up for anything' and accepting of others. I'm very inquisitive and accepting. I don't tend to seek conflict (unless I'm joking around) and like to ask questions as a way to get closer to people. I have good instincts and I can think of multiple possible solutions to different problems. I like to raise questions relating to the mysteries of life and share my findings with others. I'm always looking for ways to improve myself.

At my worst, I'm very self-absorbed, overemotional, doubtful, sacrificing, with feelings of unworthiness and self-hatred. I have a lot of shame and anxiety about being different. I look for external validation from multiple sources and cling on to relationships to the point of neediness. I can brood over my problems to the point of obsession and I will be very stuck inside my own head, so nothing will ever get resolved.

In social situations, I'd say I was fairly submissive, considerate and concerned with how I'm presenting myself. I unconsciously turn topics around to reflect on myself (i.e. if someone is talking about a personal issue they have, I'd probably say "yeah I know how you feel, I was the same when blah blah" in order to feel connected and relate myself to the topic at hand. I tend to switch off if the conversation is about business, politics or data/statistics etc.

I tend to see all sides of an argument which makes it hard for me to decide on my own morals and principals. I guess that makes me appear quite indecisive and a pushover, when really I'm just reactive to each new piece of information. I feel like I absorb other peoples views and interests and turn them into my own.

I learn better through self-reflection, independent research, and working alone and quietly. I've never been great at organizing myself or sticking to a schedule so I'm a very 'as and when' person. I'm not a great listener and if someone explains to me how to complete a task, I won't be able to to process it well without trying it out for myself using a hands-on/trial and error approach. I'm good at recognizing patterns, so even though I can be a bit spacey and unaware at first, I'm quick to pick things up.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hmm, you sound to me like an Isfp with some combination of 4/6/9. Drawn to the darker aspects of life, feeling like there is something missing from your life and that you will never be content because of constantly longing is the description of a stereotypical 4. Easygoing, accepting, inquisitive, has good instincts sounds like a nine, and you say that you get anxious and doubtful at your worst, which sounds like 9 disintegrating to 6. Escaping from reality to withdraw into fantasy is also true for both 4 and 9. Particularly this sentence, " I want to be individualistic but I also fear being separate from others" points to either 4 with 9-fix or 9 with 4-fix. I personally think you're more likely to be a 9, just because the head-fix usually comes second in 4s, and you sound more heart-gut than heart-head, could be wrong though. Which core fear do you identify with more; "fear of lacking a significant identity", or "fear of loss and separation?".
Ok, onto MBTI. Empathizing with others by connecting it to your personal experience indicates strong Fi, and you also mentioned that you have trouble staying organized, sticking to a schedule, and get bored by conversations about business or data, which indicates inferior Te. You didn't give a lot of information on S vs N, but the fact that you learn best through hands-on trial and error and are good at recognizing patterns seems like Se-Ni is more likely. So my first guess would be isfp.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts