Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm posting this to the 8, 9, and 1 threads in hope of some insight. I'm stuck in between these three types as my gut type, and thought it would be best to ask the gut types themselves for more info in this.

I'm currently stuck between these three as my gut type: 9w8, 8w9, and 1w9.

So my entire type would look like one of these combinations.
- ENTP 7w8 9w8 3w4 sx/so
- ENTP 7w8 8w9 3w4 sx/so
- ENTP 7w8 1w9 3w4 sx/so

Is there any way someone could help me figure out how to differentiate the gut types' roles better? If I ever try to look it up online, they're either pretty blurred for me or over-exaggerated since it's not my core type.
I'd surely appreciate it, because tbh I feel like all three of the gut triad rn. Whatever my gut type is, I'm really in touch with it.

I relate to 9 because I'm very lowkey on things. That might be an NT thing though. NTs I know are very lowkey most of the time with everyday things. But also, I sometimes think pointless conflict is a drag, especially if I have no stake or care for the subject. But I have 9 somewhere no matter what either way.
I relate to 8 because I'd be willing to fight anyone an anything (if it's not an annoying topic) if I'd have to and have confidence that I wouldn't lose; physically, mentally, or verbally. And I don't back down easily and have an ego with expressing and being recognized for my competence, efficiency, ability, and potential for greatness. Again, might be an NT thing.
I relate to 1 because overall, anger isn't exactly something you need or experience on a daily basis, so you tend to feel like you've got a good handle on it, especially with simple things, but that fact makes me all the more unsure about it. But I am definitely very particular about how some things need to be done. Basically, "Do it well or not at all" mentality with everything I do and have been called "perfectionistic" as I won't settle for less than my potential best or at least a job well done or a decent effort. Again, might also be an NT thing, but tbh, I can't tell at all at this point.

Oh yeah, and I hate when "authority" or someone who tries to claim they're the "authority" tries to guide me in a very "Te manipulate your method" kind of way and an "Si narrow view of how things need to get done" instead of being an actual leader or just giving you room to breathe. Although when Te is paired with Ni, I love it or at least am okay and chill with it 'cuz I respect it. Just not a fan of high Si in general I guess. But with the manipulation, descriptions of the gut triad all have them not liking to being told what to do, but just in different ways, which really just doesn't help.

·
Registered
184 Posts
hmmm... I would say 9 or 1, because if you are 7 8 3 I think you'd be a little more in the fighting sort of mode. I would say my my 9w8 professor I like is usually passive aggressive not totally but only slightly but could be made to be outwardly angry if pushed. You want to be angry but how likely are you to act it out? 8w9 is most likely I will fight you to get point across if you cross these boundaries. 9w8 okay I will be very firm, but be sort of assertive sort of passive aggressive, I will debate you to a point, but also if you push me the wrong way I will not back down. 1w9 is like I will get frustrated a much more simmering anger. Usually I will just tell you what to do but nah, If I don't have to be mad I won't. If you push it I will be irritated.

I am also including these sometimes looking at tritype things may help I don't know if you've done it.
most assertive 7, creative, positive, movers/shakers/rainbow-makers, professional, mistaken for 3 or 8, industrious, on the go

783 - The Innovator. Direct, focused, assertive and creative. Movers, shakers, rainbow makers. 7w8, SX, SO.

most upbeat/gentle/achieving 7, looks like 3 especially if SO, mellow, avoids confrontation as long as goals are met and success is achieved, overly positive, avoids negativity, the normative 7

My observation of one is actually really funny guy. gets along with most people, May be angry but most times just laughs it off.
793 - The Networker. Positive motivator, hooking up with people and introducing them to others. Optimistic, but avoids conflict or sweeps it under carpet. 7w8, SO.

most clinical/technical 7, efficient and focused on achievement, perfectionistic, enjoys working with people/systems/process, visionary foundation builders with positive intent, the competent 7
I know one I think he's kind of a really outgoing guy, very friendly but also really focus on business. pretty creative but wants to make money more. He is an IT guy codes computers or use to code them, worked on getting cisco licensing. Loves debating, but doesn't particularly get angry, passionate and he has a good sense of right and wrong even if we don't quite agree. He use to run a phone store in Arizona now he co-owns this company that goes out and does some type of accessibility training. Both of us are Blind.
713 - The System Analyst. Efficient, focused, perfectionist and technical. Enjoys working with people, systems and processes. 7w6, SO.

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
Hey, I'm posting this to the 8, 9, and 1 threads in hope of some insight. I'm stuck in between these three types as my gut type, and thought it would be best to ask the gut types themselves for more info in this.

I'm currently stuck between these three as my gut type: 9w8, 8w9, and 1w9.

So my entire type would look like one of these combinations.
- ENTP 7w8 9w8 3w4 sx/so
- ENTP 7w8 8w9 3w4 sx/so
- ENTP 7w8 1w9 3w4 sx/so

Is there any way someone could help me figure out how to differentiate the gut types' roles better? If I ever try to look it up online, they're either pretty blurred for me or over-exaggerated since it's not my core type.
I'd surely appreciate it, because tbh I feel like all three of the gut triad rn. Whatever my gut type is, I'm really in touch with it.

I relate to 9 because I'm very lowkey on things. That might be an NT thing though. NTs I know are very lowkey most of the time with everyday things. But also, I sometimes think pointless conflict is a drag, especially if I have no stake or care for the subject. But I have 9 somewhere no matter what either way.
I relate to 8 because I'd be willing to fight anyone an anything (if it's not an annoying topic) if I'd have to and have confidence that I wouldn't lose; physically, mentally, or verbally. And I don't back down easily and have an ego with expressing and being recognized for my competence, efficiency, ability, and potential for greatness. Again, might be an NT thing.
I relate to 1 because overall, anger isn't exactly something you need or experience on a daily basis, so you tend to feel like you've got a good handle on it, especially with simple things, but that fact makes me all the more unsure about it. But I am definitely very particular about how some things need to be done. Basically, "Do it well or not at all" mentality with everything I do and have been called "perfectionistic" as I won't settle for less than my potential best or at least a job well done or a decent effort. Again, might also be an NT thing, but tbh, I can't tell at all at this point.

Oh yeah, and I hate when "authority" or someone who tries to claim they're the "authority" tries to guide me in a very "Te manipulate your method" kind of way and an "Si narrow view of how things need to get done" instead of being an actual leader or just giving you room to breathe. Although when Te is paired with Ni, I love it or at least am okay and chill with it 'cuz I respect it. Just not a fan of high Si in general I guess. But with the manipulation, descriptions of the gut triad all have them not liking to being told what to do, but just in different ways, which really just doesn't help.
Yea sure..

Here's how I differentiate between 8 and 9.
9 ultimately wants a peaceful, serene, cohesive environment with no conflicts. They are willing to shove any personal issues they have with their environment in order to preserve this external cohesiveness. 8's in contrast first and foremost enforce personal boundaries and the external environment needs to make sense to them from a justice perspective.

If you are confronted with a situation that personally bothers you, would you shove that issue in order to preserve the peace, or would you risk losing someone you care about in order to stand up for yourself? The former suggests you lead with 9, the latter suggests you lead with 8.

Enneagram 1 is about maintaining composure, doing things the proper way even if it's less convenient on you, and changing yourself in order to better fit with the demands of life. 8 in contrast is about staying true to yourself, not being afraid to bend or break rules if it makes sense, and changing the environment in order to better suit what makes sense to you.

I couldn't differentiate 1 and 9 for you.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Yea sure..

Here's how I differentiate between 8 and 9.
9 ultimately wants a peaceful, serene, cohesive environment with no conflicts. They are willing to shove any personal issues they have with their environment in order to preserve this external cohesiveness. 8's in contrast first and foremost enforce personal boundaries and the external environment needs to make sense to them from a justice perspective.

If you are confronted with a situation that personally bothers you, would you shove that issue in order to preserve the peace, or would you risk losing someone you care about in order to stand up for yourself? The former suggests you lead with 9, the latter suggests you lead with 8.

Enneagram 1 is about maintaining composure, doing things the proper way even if it's less convenient on you, and changing yourself in order to better fit with the demands of life. 8 in contrast is about staying true to yourself, not being afraid to bend or break rules if it makes sense, and changing the environment in order to better suit what makes sense to you.

I couldn't differentiate 1 and 9 for you.
Hmm. I would think 1 is also staying true to themselves with following their standards. I don't think the bit on changing oneself makes sense, more like, changing behaviours and improving on all the rules to be more fair. And both 1 and 8 care about control, which includes control of the environment for 1 too, when they try to keep things right.

As for 1 vs 9 (addressing OP @Jest_Please too if they are still interested/need this). 9 is able to see all viewpoints and adjusts to others easily, 1 is not good with these, they are way more definite on things and take things very seriously however also easily more tense than a 9.

PS: Personally, I don't relate to keeping all the anger in if that is what's meant by the 1 keeping composure here, but I'm not the best stereotype for a 1, or perhaps it's the fully healthy 1 where this is entirely true.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a close friend who has a core type 7 ENTP. I would say you're definitely not a type 9, cause 9 is indifferent and ambivalent towards authority where 8 like to be in control. Based on what you said, you're either a 713 or 783 in my view. Just depends how self-aware you are on the way you need things to be. 1's know when they're being controlling and they are meticulous about it where for 8's it comes more naturally and they aren't as critical of themselves about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts