Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda stole this from would you date if you can't have kids? I come from a family line of bipolar and adhd, and would say yes, I understand the disorders enough that it, by itself would not keep me from having a relationship. If it was something I was unfamiliar with I would definetly try to learn about it and most obviosly would depend on the individual themselves.

·
Banned
2,616 Posts
I went out with a girl for a little while last summer who had aspergers.

Holy fucking shit dude...

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
It depends on what it was. It's a matter of personal stress, energy investment, feeling like I could make it work, etc.

For example, I've dealt with depression and anxiety and can deal with those things okay in a partner even if not preferable. However, some forms of bipolar would be much more taxing; and I lived with a Borderline roommate for a year and I was glad my sanity survived enough for me to get out. Not that I didn't care about them, that's actually what made it harder; it's like trying to save a drowning person who keeps pushing you under with them.

So it depends on the person and their situation and how responsible they were for their own self-care.

·
Banned
42 Posts
Personally I wouldn't mind if the guy was disabled/autistic/had ADD/aspergers etc. But I wouldn't date someone self-destructive/ seriously depressed etc. Not just because of my issues but because in those cases you can't help anyway- it's a personal matter that they would have to work on by themselves.

·
Mastodon Hunter
8,093 Posts
Yes, as long as they don't use it as an excuse to act a certain way when they know they can easily control it. Plus I'm prone to depression and have signs of early dementia :D

·
MOTM Jan 2010
2,988 Posts
It would depend on what kind of disorder it was and how they were able to handle it. I've dated someone who was depressed, and while it was difficult, we got through it. Mood and anxiety disorders are so common (10% and 18% of the US population respectively, with some overlap) that dating someone with a disorder is bound to happen. You just have to be informed, open to communication, and willing to overcome difficulties. However, you can't try to "fix" them or blame yourself for all of their troubles. Just be supportive.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
It depends on what it is.
I mean help look after my little brother who has a pretty serious case of Autism, and I myself definitely have issues of some kind, (social anxiety I've got it down as but it might even be more complicated than that).

But I think its a matter of personality and control for me. Its like if that person is aware of themselves and the world, and I am attatched to them, then yes I could, but it would definitely feel wrong dating someone who thought in a completely different way, or was just not completely self-aware at all. (It wouldn't be fair on them, or me)

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
If they have the same 'disorders' I do then it's fine. Otherwise, no. And of course how responsible they are when it comes to their 'disorders'.

Reactions: koalaroo

·
Registered
72 Posts
I might, depending on how they interact with me. I won't judge based on disorders, but if it goes out of control, obviously, I'd be more than unsettled by it. I've been attracted to someone with autism, people I usually get along with. It really depends on who they are truly.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I wouldn't want to, but maybe because I have a mood disorder and I wouldn't want to deal with anyone else's emotional problems.

·
Registered
923 Posts
My SO has them, she manages them fine and it does not in anyway affect our relationship. I like to think I'm her constant, I'm far more stable.

If for some reason we broke up, which for the life of me I couldn't imagine why, I would still be willing to date a person with a mental disorder.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would. Already did.

I hate normal people, they're a bore.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have Aspergers, so any person that would date me would have to be understanding of that fact, and I would try to be understanding of them in return. That said, I'm very picky about the people I interact with and have no patience for emotional drama, so if that seemed a likely result I naturally would not date the individual, psychological issues or no.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have Aspergers, so any person that would date me would have to be understanding of that fact, and I would try to be understanding of them in return. That said, I'm very picky about the people I interact and have no patience for emotional drama, so if that seemed a likely result I naturally would not date the individual.
I don't have patience for drama neither - my patience is really short -but I find it like a challenge like my last bf I think he was in a low level psychopatch it was so challeging trying to make he feel something I like challenges. It was like a game which I won of course :p

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
It would depend upon the individual and those specific circumstances.

Certainly I'd be more wary though. I too have a history of mental illness in my family (bipolar, schizophrenia, clinical depression, and alcoholism). It's not in my immediate family, but is very prevalent in my extended family. Seeing the effects of those illnesses on them and the people around them has been scary for me. Certainly some people are able to manage the illness and be extremely productive, lovely people. Too many instances in my family do not speak to that.

I'd be afraid, also, of having children with someone who has a mental illness. Because it runs in my family, I'd be afraid to mix gene pools with someone else who clearly has that in there. I would not wish that struggle on any of my hypothetical future children. And also, I'm selfish, and don't want to have that struggle as a parent if I can help it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Assuming it is a diagnosed and treatable condition and all other aspects of the relationship are strong, such as shared values, mutual interests and similar attainable goals and plans. OR if the onset of the disorder is in the scope of an already established commitment and their is willingness to improve. Yes.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Speaking from a neutral perspective (i.e., having no personal investment in the matter), I would say no. It isn't as if people who don't have mental disorders don't still have their own issues nonetheless, so I don't really care to take on something else in addition to what I've already been through with "normal" people in relationships. Particularly since I gave up dating altogether, it would take someone exceptional to get me interested in taking the plunge again.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I'm in a tough position because, mine is pretty selective, where it affects me,and even though I want to honor my theoretical girlfriend/date's views, by getting control over it, because in a relationship you cede some ground for harmony, there's really not a lot of information on me out there, and I had to come here,rather than reading a medical report on me. On top of that are the things that weren't affecting me at an earlier age that now are. Living with a condition is somewhat of being an explorer yourself.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts