Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Why would I get married, why does that have to be the start of a family? Why does there have to be a romantic partner involved in that formation at all? I don't get that. If ultimately I decide I want to raise children, I'll raise them whenever my life situation is stable, single or attached. I don't care about gender. Their names would be given by somebody else, because I'd be a foster parent. Probably lame ones like Ben and Judy. I'd make sure that I would make their worlds a constant interactive learning environment - I would fill my house with models of planes and the solar system and things, and I'd have things like a costume box and whatnot for the kids to play with. Playtime, after all, is essential to child development.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I would want kids I think. :]
and I wouldn't want too many..
probably at most three.
or four.
but not five.
and I could only have one boy because I only have one boy name that I like..Julian.
so the other one, two or three would have to be girls.
And one of them would be Anika, like from Pippi Longstocking..
and I would want one to be either Beatrix or Bellatrix, like from Harry Potter but I don't know if that's actually a name.. and maybe Sophie.
I wanted Greek goddess names but my mother said that was too much to live up to..
And I would act how my mother acted toward me.
I'd read to them, I'd play with them and take a million pictures and go for walks like we used to.
I'm rambling.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
i'm torn on this...i like the idea of having kids, but they might become too much of a burden on me, especially financially. i don't want to bring kids into this world if they don't have some semblance of financial stability.

of course, my idealistic nature causes me to daydream about that magical day when i'll become a parent and have the privilege of passing on my genes haha.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes to kids. Arthur and Sarah, a couple. Would make sure they are given answers that develop their thinking ability and would try to avoid things like "because I said so".

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I get it now. This is a "traditional heteronormative ideal vision of the future" thread, and it's weird to me because I am not hetero or traditional at all.

Reactions: WildWinds

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I get it now. This is a "traditional heteronormative ideal vision of the future" thread, and it's weird to me because I am not hetero or traditional at all.
ENTP interruption....But I just wanted to say I know how you feel. I'm a bit unconventional when it comes to this topic as well. I wish to adopt and/or foster, and I would do so regardless of my relationship status. In fact, not to slight single mom's (since most are not in that position by choice, so I mean no offense), but that route almost seems preferable. It would certainly lead to a more consistent environment.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
ENTP interruption....But I just wanted to say I know how you feel. I'm a bit unconventional when it comes to this topic as well. I wish to adopt and/or foster, and I would do so regardless of my relationship status. In fact, not to slight single mom's, but that route almost seems preferable. It would certainly lead to a more consistent environment.
See, I love that perspective. It makes so much sense. This is why I imagine my next partner should be an ENTP.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I might be surrogate mother for my gay best friend someday.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I might be surrogate mother for my gay best friend someday.
That's sweet, very loving, giving birth for your friend's benefit. If everyone could love each other that kind of way, the giving kind, then the world would have much fewer problems in it.

Reactions: dreamcatcher

·
Registered
728 Posts
Yes I would want a family, if everything wasn't so fucked. I plan on getting married someday, but it's going to take a long time before I'll want to have any kids. Things are getting worse day by day, and I don't want to bring someone into a hopeless world. What's the point in being a man if you can't work and provide for yourself and others. We are in for some dire straits in the near future, and I don't want to share the misery with my very own.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Why would I get married, why does that have to be the start of a family? Why does there have to be a romantic partner involved in that formation at all? I don't get that. If ultimately I decide I want to raise children, I'll raise them whenever my life situation is stable, single or attached. I don't care about gender. Their names would be given by somebody else, because I'd be a foster parent. Probably lame ones like Ben and Judy. I'd make sure that I would make their worlds a constant interactive learning environment - I would fill my house with models of planes and the solar system and things, and I'd have things like a costume box and whatnot for the kids to play with. Playtime, after all, is essential to child development.
As for myself, I personally prefer to raise a family first with a partner.

However, if anyone was to foster children without a partner, I do not get why there would be anything wrong with that. Why should society place too much stigma for a noble act anyway? With the right parenting skills, just go for it.

Plus, I'm sure there are a number of parentless orphans who deserve the best.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2 kids for me. One male, one female.
I am torn between what names I should give them but until I think of any better ones;

Male- Adam
Female- Molly

I'd be the most loving mother in the world for them. I'd give them the acceptance, the support, and the shoulder they can cry on that my mother never gave me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes but I would rather adopt. There are a lot of health issues in my family and they all seem to just make themselves known with me. With genders... I think I'd like to have a girl first but I don't really have any names picked out or anything. I do like traditional names though, but ones that aren't too common you know. I really hate those names that people gives their kids nowadays. (i.e. Aiden, Hunter, Brock, Brady, Brody.... mainly boys names though.)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have long had the desire for children. It's sort of my motivation to be financially stable.

Right now, I'd like to have 3, but it's probably not a good idea to have a plan set in stone like that. I'm a bit ashamed to admit I want 2 boys and 1 girl, but god knows I'll probably cry like a little bitch(tears of joy!) if 3 girls pop out.

·
Registered
752 Posts
2 kids for me. One male, one female.
This is my exact preference. Sad to say, I've thought about this over several years ago despite my age. The way I see it, one isn't enough, three is too many. Two with varying genders (hopefully!) Is the best and well balanced combination for me. ;O

Even if it doesn't turn out that way ideally, I still want a family to love, take care of and to teach, even though it'll be a longgg time from now. I need to get myself sorted out first ;___;

·
Registered
62 Posts
Currently I don't want kids... I think I'm a person who needs change and would like to move around to different countries, perhaps, and I don't think that's the best thing for a child. And I'd want to work. But I don't think it would be fair to my children if I might not be home or there for them when they need me. I don't want to put them through that.
But that's just my current state of mind (though it always has been so far). It may change, and probably will.

However, if I do have a family I would definitely want to be married and have a husband to raise them with me. This is not because it's the social norm--I don't care about that. I just think that honestly the most well-adjusted children have been raised like this (though yes; there are exceptions), and I think it's right. That is just my personal opinion.
I'd want 2 minimum, 3 max, at least one of them being a boy. I might name a boy Ash/Asher.

But I would actually really like to be a foster parent. I know there are so many terrible, abusive foster parents out there, and I'm confident that I could give the kids vast amounts of love and a good upbringing.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I'm family oriented so I would probably want one one day. But it seems modern life makes it difficult. Work seems to take over peoples lives now days and I'm not a high energy person so it seems like a big task to juggle work and family life. Also, I'm a strong believer in protecting the environment and energy conservation. Every child someone has basically doubles the amount of energy consumed. It might be strange to think of a child as something potentially damaging to the environment, but I can't help it. Adoption would solve this problem. There are so many children who need parents that we don't really need to produce anymore. So adopting would be the most honorable option and the most beneficial for earth as a whole. But I also feel a need to continue my genetics, which adoption won't satisfy. So it's a hard decision. I would probably have one child naturally and maybe adopt another.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have long had the desire for children. It's sort of my motivation to be financially stable.

Right now, I'd like to have 3, but it's probably not a good idea to have a plan set in stone like that. I'm a bit ashamed to admit I want 2 boys and 1 girl, but god knows I'll probably cry like a little bitch(tears of joy!) if 3 girls pop out.
I want three as well, but I'd be ok with two I guess. I like the idea of three because when I was little, it was such a blast with my two brothers. It wasn't quite as fun when my mom had two more later on, even though I really love my littlest brothers.

Oh, and I don't care what sex they are so long as I have at least one boy and one girl.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts