Personality Cafe banner

Would you go on a blind date with a blind guy/girl

• I'm a girl and would go on a blind date with a blind guy/girl

Votes: 37 36.3%
  • I'm a girl and would feel uncomfortable going on a blind date with a blind guy/girl

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • I'm a guy and would go on a blind date with a blind girl/guy

Votes: 36 35.3%
  • I'm a guy and would feel uncomfortable going on a blind date with a blind girl/guy

Votes: 17 16.7%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:tongue:We are a group of psychology and sociology grad students at Columbia University and Fordham University doing a research project for school. Please take the full 1-page (but quick) anonymous survey and bookmark us on Facebook to stay informed about future surveys.

We need large sample size so if you could please forward this to all of your friends it would be much appreciated.

Survey link: Survey

Facebook page "Survey on Society": Survey on Society | Facebook

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Hmmm... I wouldn't call it a date, more like going out as friends but I have gone out not too long ago with another member of this forum without knowing what she looked like. No biggie. Just try to have fun :)

If other people were trying to set me up though, I wouldn't be too sure. People, even close people, tend to misunderstand me and I wouldn't trust their judgement when it came to matters like this. I would go anyway just to be a sport though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We'd like to get 300 people to take the full survey to generate meaningful data analysis, so if you could please tell your friends about this we'd much appreciate it!!

·
Registered
26,829 Posts
I've taken the survey and voted in the poll. I personally would see have no problem going out with a blind person and I would probably even feel more comfortable with them because, and I mean no offence here, they can't see me, and I suppose I wouldn't need to make direct eye contact, which is something I don't do much with people I don't know extremely well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Would I

Would you or have you ...?
Your poll should ask if the survey-ee ever has dated a blind person.

My answer to your poll could be considered inaccurate due to the fact that I did go on a week long blind date with a "blind date." I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I don't know about feeling uncomfortable but I would consider it pointless.
On the other hand if there was a chance of some jiggy jiggy I might reconsider. :tongue:

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I'm uncomfortable with blind dates period. The fact that the person I'd be dating is blind is irrelevant. I wouldn't have to worry so much about looking my best but I'd still be quite anxious.

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
I'm a girl and would feel uncomfortable going on a blind date.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I wouldn't have a problem going out on a blind date or otherwise with a blind person.They still have feelings and a voice,and the use of their other senses such as smell,touch and hearing.I wouldn't treat the person any differently than i would someone who could see.They just wouldn't be able to see how plain and unattractive i am,so i would know that they would like me for my personality and not my looks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a question. :) Does this survey assume the taker is fully/normally sighted? I am visually impaired and I don't want to mess up any statistics that are being collected.

I wouldn't mind dating another blind person. We might be able to relate to each other better when it comes to our unique needs. When it comes down to it, however, personality is what matters whether the person is sighted or not. I'm used to being around blind/non-sighted people just as I am with sighted people, so that may be one of the reasons why. If I hadn't been socialized with other visually-challenged persons, I'd feel a bit nervous and awkward.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Well, I don't like the idea of blind dates.

And, I'm not very empathetic, so I would surely point out the co-incidence of a blind date with a blind date.

Which will not help my chances getting a second date...

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
Yes, of course. When I was in college, one of my best friends was blind, and it didn't create any awkwardness. Why should it?

Reactions: AussieChick

·
Registered
818 Posts
Of course why not, if we get talking and all is well, why not?

-when I first looked at the title of this thread, this popped into my mind:-

REMINDS ME OF THIS MOVIE!!!

the dvd includes an audible version of the movie

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I would not date a blind person. I don't like the idea of dating someone unless I think it could really go somewhere. I'm looking for my absolute ideal partner, and I want the whole package. I don't want to have to take care of my partner forever because he is disabled. My ex wasn't disabled, but I was forced to take care of him in many other ways. It's nice to feel needed, but in the end all it did was create resentment. Oh, and I don't like blind dates either.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts