Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sparked by the "circumcised or uncircumcised" topic.

How do you feel about having your own male children circumcised. I honestly have no idea. It seems to have such a mixed response in adult males. Most of the guys I know - that I'd be close enough to know whether they're circumcised or not - are, and are pretty indifferent about it. But there is definitely something that makes me feel unqualified to make that decision for my son... I don't know.

I'm really quite torn about it. Excuse the pun :tongue: I would hate to have it done to my child simply because they generally perform it without anaesthetic :crying: and also because I'd hate my son to resent me for aving such an invasive procedure performed on him before he could make any kind of decision about it himself.

Beh!!

·
Registered
26,827 Posts
I wouldn't have any child of mine circumcised and that goes for both male and female circumcision, both of which are cruel and are basically child abuse. If an adult wishes to get circumcised, they can have the right to do so, but a child who cannot choose for themselves must never be circumcised.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Genital mutilation is not at the top of my things to do list, nor is it something I'd recommend to anyone. Plus I've never seen/heard a plausible reason for doing it. What makes you feel like it could be considered a possibility Gracie? Like for what reason?

·
Registered
531 Posts
I don't think male circumcision is abuse. Not anymore that getting shots, vaccinations or an operation on a child.
Seriously, are there men out there who are psychologically ruined for life because of their circumcision?

·
Registered
26,827 Posts
I don't think male circumcision is abuse. Not anymore that getting shots, vaccinations or an operation on a child.
Seriously, are there men out there who are psychologically ruined for life because of their circumcision?
No, but it is mutilation that the child did not consent to, done for no real reason.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Genital mutilation is not at the top of my things to do list, nor is it something I'd recommend to anyone. Plus I've never seen/heard a plausible reason for doing it. What makes you feel like it could be considered a possibility Gracie? Like for what reason?
Actually, TBH I've found that in many hospitals it's pretty much common practice. My best friend is doing midwifery and she says they pretty much do it all the time. It's what most people *know*, so they do it. Almost every boy is circumcised here as far as I know. But I'd rather put more thought into it than that, when it comes to my own children.

I find it strange, in a way... female genital mutilation I am clearly and vociferously against. I think it's barbaric, and there is absolutely nothing you could even construe as a legitimate reason for it. It causes untold suffering for those upon whom it is inflicted. Male circumcision, on the other hand, I have slightly less formed opinions of. It's doesn't seem to do any harm per se, but then... I just don't want to go lopping off a bit of my child's winkie when he's too young to know or object :crazy: he may want it back, later in life...

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
If the procedure is completely unnecessary and something the owner could harbour hate towards others for then yeah I say it could be a problem. It's an outdated mostly religious tradition that to me is completely illogical. It is invasive and conducted with no personal consent.

Actually, TBH I've found that in many hospitals it's pretty much common practice. My best friend is doing midwifery and she says they pretty much do it all the time. It's what most people *know*, so they do it. Almost every boy is circumcised here as far as I know. But I'd rather put more thought into it than that, when it comes to my own children.
to me that is just "everyone else does it so I'll do it to", mentality... so very religious and herd like.

It is a double standard to not be another one but the other. If a guy doesn't know what it's like to have a foreskin then how could he know it's better or worse? They are denied that knowledge.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Male circumcision, on the other hand, I have slightly less formed opinions of. It's doesn't seem to do any harm per se, but then... I just don't want to go lopping off a bit of my child's winkie when he's too young to know or object :crazy: he may want it back, later in life...
While there is a line of reasoning that it makes bathing and staying clean easier, there's also the counter-argument that it reduces sensitivity and/or pleasure due to keratinization of the skin on the head of the penis. Though given the amount of websites and equipment dedicated to "tugging," I can't imagine someone putting themselves through that lengthy and uncomfortable process for aesthetics alone - but it'd take someone who has done it to give a real answer here.

I can totally agree with the "personal choice" aspect in this situation myself. It can be done later in life, it's just a custom to do it shortly after birth in many societies.

·
Registered
297 Posts
on the other side of the coin, there is also the fact that if near all boys his age have it done and he does not... what happens in the boys locker room when billy looks different from the other boys... that could have the same psychological damage as having it done...

Personally, I am 55/45% on the side of having it done to my male children... Main reason is as I stated above, it is common practice... as well as I am circumcized myself... what happens when billy starts asking why he looks different from myself... and different from the other boys at school...

I am not religious, and aside from the stated reason above... I have no strong opinions for or against male circumcision... If I were to mate with someone who is strongly for or strongly against circumcision, I would rescpect their wishes... otherwise... like I said I personally am just on the side of doing it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Absolutely not. I will not mutilate my child's genitals.
If you teach your son to wash his penis properly, there's little "risks" of being uncircumcised.
Far more pros than cons, in my eyes.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
Count me as another woman against male genital mutilation. If I have a little boy, he will have the right to decide what to do with his own penis. His body is not mine to cut up.

·
MOTM Feb 2011
8,075 Posts
Both of my sons were circumsised just like their dad. :happy: Their uncle was not so lucky... he got an infection at 11 yrs old and had to have a humiliating and painful job done on him. They have no memory of it as babies and it is more hygenic imo.

Reactions: Slkmcphee

·
Registered
156 Posts
Again, teaching your child to wash his penis properly poses little risk for that.
Yes, infections CAN happen, with both circumcised and uncircumcised penises. I think the "it's more hygienic" talk is just something we use when we really don't know the benefits of not circumcising your child.

Just my $0.02!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I would not do it even for religious reasons. I am considering a different religion than my parents and it would be fine if my child does as well. Ultimately it is his body and I feel I should allow him that decision. If God has a problem with it, then the blame falls on me, not my child, because I made the original decision.

I don't want guys saying "oh, Im circumsized and I am fine!" because, well they wont know any different. And for the uncleanliness-- the area behind my ears gets dirty, but I am not going to cut them off; and my vagina can get infections, but please don't cut that out! Teaching proper hygiene basically solves all those problems!

and if he wonders why he looks different than the other boys, I'll just tell him he is uncut and still has his foreskin. If he had big ears he would get teased too---Kids will be kids.

OWL

·
Registered
743 Posts
I don't have a son, but if I did, I'd never allow him to be circumcised.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
No, but it is mutilation that the child did not consent to, done for no real reason.
Here's a reason:

"Circumcision of males represents a "surgical vaccine" against a wide variety of infections, adverse medical conditions and potentially fatal diseases over their lifetime, and also protects their sexual partners. In experienced hands, this common, inexpensive procedure is very safe, and can be pain-free. Although it can be performed at any age, the ideal time is infancy. The benefits vastly outweigh risks.

The public health benefits are enormous, and include protection from urinary tract infections, that are common over the lifetime, inferior genital hygiene, smegma, sexually transmitted HIV, oncogenic types of human papillomavirus, genital herpes, syphilis and chancroid, penile cancer, and possibly prostate cancer, phimosis, paraphimosis, thrush, and inflammatory skin conditions such as balanitis and balanoposthitis. In women circumcision of the male partner provides substantial protection from cervical cancer, genital herpes, bacterial vaginosis (formerly termed "gardnerella"), possibly Chlamydia (that can cause pelvic inflammatory disease, infertility, and ectopic pregnancy), and other infections.

Circumcision has socio-sexual benefits and reduces sexual problems with age and diabetes. It has no adverse effect on penile sensitivity, erectile function, or sensation during sexual arousal and is reported to enhance the sexual experience for men. Most women prefer the circumcised penis for appearance, hygiene, lower infection risk and sexual activity. At least half of all uncircumcised males will develop one or more problems over their lifetime caused by their foreskin, and many will suffer and die as a result. The benefits exceed the risks by over 100 to 1, and if fatalities are taken into account in men and their sexual partners the benefit is orders of magnitude higher than this. Given the convincing epidemiological evidence and biological support, routine circumcision should be highly recommended by all health professionals." - Source (CIRCUMCISION: An Evidence-Based Appraisal)

There are plenty of reasons to do it, I don't feel I would be over stepping my bounds as a parent to circumsize my children. There are also religious reasons to do it as well, if you don't believe them, ok fine, doesn't mean they are less important than the opposite opinion.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Here's a reason:

"Circumcision of males represents a "surgical vaccine" against a wide variety of infections, adverse medical conditions and potentially fatal diseases over their lifetime, and also protects their sexual partners. In experienced hands, this common, inexpensive procedure is very safe, and can be pain-free. Although it can be performed at any age, the ideal time is infancy. The benefits vastly outweigh risks.

The public health benefits are enormous, and include protection from urinary tract infections, that are common over the lifetime, inferior genital hygiene, smegma, sexually transmitted HIV, oncogenic types of human papillomavirus, genital herpes, syphilis and chancroid, penile cancer, and possibly prostate cancer, phimosis, paraphimosis, thrush, and inflammatory skin conditions such as balanitis and balanoposthitis. In women circumcision of the male partner provides substantial protection from cervical cancer, genital herpes, bacterial vaginosis (formerly termed "gardnerella"), possibly Chlamydia (that can cause pelvic inflammatory disease, infertility, and ectopic pregnancy), and other infections.

Circumcision has socio-sexual benefits and reduces sexual problems with age and diabetes. It has no adverse effect on penile sensitivity, erectile function, or sensation during sexual arousal and is reported to enhance the sexual experience for men. Most women prefer the circumcised penis for appearance, hygiene, lower infection risk and sexual activity. At least half of all uncircumcised males will develop one or more problems over their lifetime caused by their foreskin, and many will suffer and die as a result. The benefits exceed the risks by over 100 to 1, and if fatalities are taken into account in men and their sexual partners the benefit is orders of magnitude higher than this. Given the convincing epidemiological evidence and biological support, routine circumcision should be highly recommended by all health professionals." - Source (CIRCUMCISION: An Evidence-Based Appraisal)

There are plenty of reasons to do it, I don't feel I would be over stepping my bounds as a parent to circumsize my children. There are also religious reasons to do it as well, if you don't believe them, ok fine, doesn't mean they are less important than the opposite opinion.

sorry, mate. But I have a hard time believing these claims. The study done in Africa "showing" circumcision lessened the risk of transmitting HIV/AIDS was actually reported to be skewed, for one thing. And I've not heard about another study done that showed any adverse effects of having a foreskin. Five of the most sensitive areas of a man's penis are on the foreskin, So am also gonna doubt that skinning them off wont have an adverse effect on a mans sexual pleasure.... :dry: And I have no Idea how a foreskin contributes to diabetes...anymore than the claim that abortion causes a higher risk for breast cancer ( a pro-life group came to campus and kept repeating this. A very quick search of the National Cancer Institute's website showed this to be very much false)

And in the aesthetics department....it still looks like a penis to me! :shocked:

Your source there sounds Waaaay to sensational to be taken seriously. Sorry.

OWL

Reactions: killerB

·
The Doer King
13,680 Posts
Here's a reason:

Do you actually believe all that? Is this away for you to make yourself feel better because you had no choice at birth? How does not having foreskin make us less dirty? I mean if I don't shower everyday then my penis like all parts of my body gets dirty but a little soap and voila! I suppose if I were wading in poop all day long up to my dick then poop could lodge itself inside my foreskin, but you would have poop on your penis too so unless you have a shower you are no better off then me.

If it is a religious reason the fine I won't argue cause all religions have their own backwards logic and set ways but scientifically it is bogus.

Reactions: killerB

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
As I haven't given up hope someday marrying a nice Jewish man, yes I would circumcise and throw a lovely Bris. There are not many ceremonies that celebrate a man's penis. :happy:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.