Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
I don't know if Ni dominants or aux do the same, but what you're describing happens to me pretty often.
I'm a Ne-Ti user.
So my money is on Ti-Ne, purely because the initiation of your thought process was "should we even OWN animals to begin with?" which, to me, is what Ti would do, analyze the set rules and attempt to look at them from all angles, Ne being an aid that allows it to see them.
This would mean you're an INTP. That's my first guess.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hello everyone!
I would like some help with my type (as you can see I'm not typed yet) by analyzing an example of my thought process. Thank you in advance :happy:

So, some days ago I heard in the news about a man who killed a dog because he/she had bitten his girlfriend a day ago (sad, I know). I immediately started thinking on whether or not having pets is a good idea. People have had pets for over thousands of years now. It is kind of our fault for making them so dependent on us, but we can’t fix that now anyway, so just almost like any other idea out there, politics regarding pets will be morally “relative” (meaning that it can be interpreted as good or bad depending on circumstances or the observer). However, what came in my mind was that humans are also part of this relative morality, so I tried to compare ideas with human beings. Then I thought about how ideas are just created to serve as a purpose for us human beings (so ideas only exist for human’s sake). But are there humans existing for and ideas’ sake?

I guess this is what we would call an ideal. People are willing to sacrifice part of or their full lives for these ideals (which are also ideas, ideal=idea+l). Another example is brainwashing, by “incorporating” (not sure if this is the right word so use) ideas into people’s minds (this whole thing is reminding me of “Inception”).
This looks like Ti and Fe to me. As the above user pointed out, you're considering an abstract thought and reason around it in a way that I would readily associate with Ti. "Should we keep pets at all? We have for a long time now, so it's virtually unfixable." However, the whole thing is laden with other people's feelings (Fe). So, you're considering this because you encountered an event that was bound to have made people sad (a loved dog being put down for being aggressive). This seems to be what triggered the abstract thought.

If we accept Ti and Fe, we have eight options. INTP, ISTP, ENTP, ESTP, INFJ, ISFJ, ENFJ, ESFJ.

Now consider the following:

This thought process is not the same as how I have described it here, however. It usually lasts just a few seconds, only contains keywords + weird images + patterns. Because it is too fast I usually cannot understand it completely and to do so I have to write it down, but doing so is a little mentally stressful, because the mental process has almost no details and connections between ideas at all.

Before writing this I only had thought about the first paragraph (my mind stopped thinking right there). Thinking for longer periods of times this way does not come as naturally (that’s because the thought process at first is automatic, after a few seconds I start to become conscious of it and my mind gets blocked). I already know that the thought is not finished but it is just too stressful (I need to analyze the thought consciously).
This describes some kind of dominant function, since the process is involuntary and unconscious (all such functions are 'automatic' in this sense). Given the types we have available, there are 6 dominant functions to choose from: Ti, Ne, Se, Ni, Si, Fe. Furthermore, it doesn't seem to describe either Se, Fe, Si or Ti. It seems either too abstract, too unrelated, too disorganised or too incoherent. With regards to Ti dominance, what you're describing seems too incoherent. Ti dominance manifests as an unconscious stream of random thoughts that never stops. Yet none of it it is, as far as I know, esoteric or hard to understand. The thoughts can be 'weird' in that they're embarrassing to talk to other people about because they're unusual (hello Si), but they're not incomprehensible.

This leaves only Ne and Ni, so INFJ and ENTP.

At this point, I think it's quite easy. ENTPs don't tend to struggle to make sense of their own ideas. Their auxiliary Ti is expertly equipped to disassemble ideas efficiently and consistently. What I'm getting from you is the idea that it somehow hurts to try and make logical sense of the intuition that you are having (it's uncomfortable to think). That suggests tertiary Ti (i.e. the experience of constantly not having 'enough' of the function to employ it optimally; this is general property of all tertiary functions). Furthermore, what you're describing doesn't strike me as the kind of intuition that an ENTP would have. In a theoretical context, dominant Ne intuitions are often organised and 'neat fits'. They present a concrete possibility as to how the thing being discussed might be, which it is currently not. This concreteness and organisation is made possible by the fact that Ne dominant types have inferior Si.

By contrast, the intuition that you're having is not at all organised, and it doesn't fit nicely into the theoretical context within which it emerged. Rather, it seems related to Se data, such as colours and symbolism in the form of strange images. This suggests Ni.

So, dominant Ni with auxiliary Fe and tertiary Ti; INFJ.

We can test this by asking some quick questions:

Are you uncomfortable with doing things? As in, do you struggle to take the initiative? Not because you're overthinking or because it's not intellectually stimulating, but because the idea elicits physical discomfort in you. Furthermore, once you've actually started doing something, can you pursue it consistently for hours at a time? If so, then this suggests inferior Se.

Relatedly, do you dislike acting spontaneously? As in, if you've got plans to do something in a particular way, do you dislike it when people tell you to/force you to do those things at a different time, or in a different way, than you had planned it? Alternatively, do you simply go with the flow? If you dislike this, then that suggests J and Ni, as opposed to P and Ne.

Finally, how do you feel about traditions, sentiment and conventions? Do they make you feel uncomfortable, or do you simply not care about them? If they make you uncomfortable almost all the time (except for with close family), then that suggests Ne dominance and inferior Si. If you ignore them, but nonetheless don't mind going along with them because they make the people that you're with happy, then that suggests ignored Si and auxiliary Fe.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know if Ni dominants or aux do the same, but what you're describing happens to me pretty often.
I'm a Ne-Ti user.
So my money is on Ti-Ne, purely because the initiation of your thought process was "should we even OWN animals to begin with?" which, to me, is what Ti would do, analyze the set rules and attempt to look at them from all angles, Ne being an aid that allows it to see them.
This would mean you're an INTP. That's my first guess.
Thank you for your answer. INTP is a type that I have been considering for a long time, and relate to Ti descriptions. I will definitely consider it.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Seq Thank you for your answer. I've been considering INFJ but I didn't know the difference between Ti and Ni, so thanks for pointing that out. Concerning your questions:

1-Yes, taking the initiative is very stressful to me, but once I start doing it, I like to take it to the end. If I don't finish I know I will have a hard time starting it again.

2-I hate unpredictability. I would rather stick to a routine than live a life full of spontanity. Usually when I plan something, I will feel bad if other people interfere with it, making me change plans.

3-I feel uncomfortable when traditions impact society and/or my inner values in a negative way. Otherwise I don't really care, as long as they do the trick. Sure sometimes these kind of things do sound stupid (like for example celebrating the New Year bcs Earth did a full rotation), but still, this serves as a reason for people to celebrate together, so as I said, I don't care as long as it does the trick.

·
Registered
473 Posts
@Seq Thank you for your answer. I've been considering INFJ but I didn't know the difference between Ti and Ni, so thanks for pointing that out. Concerning your questions:

1-Yes, taking the initiative is very stressful to me, but once I start doing it, I like to take it to the end. If I don't finish I know I will have a hard time starting it again.

2-I hate unpredictability. I would rather stick to a routine than live a life full of spontanity. Usually when I plan something, I will feel bad if other people interfere with it, making me change plans.

3-I feel uncomfortable when traditions impact society and/or my inner values in a negative way. Otherwise I don't really care, as long as they do the trick. Sure sometimes these kind of things do sound stupid (like for example celebrating the New Year bcs Earth did a full rotation), but still, this serves as a reason for people to celebrate together, so as I said, I don't care as long as it does the trick.
That sounds a lot like INFJ. It doesn't sound like a P, and it doesn't sound like INTP. INTPs like traditions and don't mind acting spontaneously.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts