Personality Cafe banner

Would you rather be blissfully ignorant or miserably wise?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question I often times ask myself.

Below is just my personal take on the question, and what goes through my mind when I think of this.

A life where I give in to my culture's "status quo", ignorant to the harsh and depressing truths of our existence and reality. Nothing to worry or fear, simply because I don't know of these things. Living in the United States of America; all I know is that I need an education, a college degree, and a well paying job to earn a decent living. This makes sense. It is bliss.

Or

A life where I know so much, I now carry a "burden of truth". I know that because of scarcity, humanity created a monetary system, which then lead to social class and inequality, which then lead to poverty, which then lead to starvation. My perspective of life is now what it "could" be, rather than the insanity of that we call "the real world". I deeply care about every human being on this earth, and want things to change worldwide, to collaborate with our greatest thinkers and use our best of technology to abolish scarcity, without money, profit, and national interests interfering with it all. This is my burden of proof. It is misery.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Probably miserably wise. Not that bliss doesn't sound kind of nice on occasion, but I couldn't stand being ignorant. Besides, I'm a very melancholy person by nature anyway, and a lot of the time I don't really mind it even though it makes life harder. (Well, I could do without some of the worst of it, as it relates to my mental health issues... but that's another story for another time.) Being "blissful" just isn't in my nature, and pursuing knowledge and awareness of the world is very important to me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Certainly miserably wise i want to see the world for what it is, not what i wish it was. If that makes me msierable then so be it, but better to be wise and miserable then to be a blind fool among the masses.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
all I know is that I need an education, a college degree, and a well paying job to earn a decent living. This makes sense. It is bliss.
I think that believing that we have to live the way our parents have lived is being blissfully ignorant. That way we can blame parents if our life turns to crap. Hey I got a degree and got a job like you told me to and I'm still unhappy and I've lost a bunch of time.

Or we can start with the premise that what we know isn't currently enough. And it's this lack of knowledge causes us to make assumptions that are patently untrue.

I grew up poor, don't have a college degree and now make good living as a computer programmer. A degree doesn't gaurantee you a job just ask all the INFPs in here who have degrees and aren't barely scraping by. That's why I know many people who have avoided it and still found a way to make a living. So it can be done.

Two of the groups that I associate with are radically different: entrepreneurs and the new-agey crowd. Both are equally happy with the life they've chosen. Both of them have to work really hard, but in different ways. The new-agey crowd don't have office jobs. They're mostly massage therapists, yoga instructors, life coaches, etc. Many from both the entrepreneur and the new-agey crowd don't have degrees and for the most part have avoided the 9 to 5 structure most of their life. Many of them have expatriated and lived abroad before returning to the states.

For most people, especially the ones who are young and grew up in a privileged midde-class life provided by their parents assume that the way their parents chose to live is the only way to live. That is far from true. There are many different paths to live a life and earn an income and how "decent living" is defined.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Being blissfully ignorant may be easy and great and everything, but I would never want to give up wisdom or knowledge. I think you can never know too much. If I was ignorant, I wouldn't know everything there is to know in this world. And missing out on things, or knowledge, is just no way to live. Is that weird

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I don't know... neither? The question carries the assumption that wisdom brings only misery. I think wisdom brings both happiness and unhappiness because it's a way of being more in touch with the world.

If the knowledge you have does nothing but make you miserable, you're ignorant of what will make you happy...

·
Banned
358 Posts
I don't know... neither? The question carries the assumption that wisdom brings only misery. I think wisdom brings both happiness and unhappiness because it's a way of being more in touch with the world.

If the knowledge you have does nothing but make you miserable, you're ignorant of what will make you happy...
You have to be at least a little ignorant to be happy.

·
Registered
873 Posts
You have to be at least a little ignorant to be happy.
There is some truth to that. You also have to be 'in the moment' to be happy as well.

But I agree with @LQ9. Why do happiness, ignorance, misery, and wisdom have to be separated or in conjunction with each other? Blissfully ignorant or Miserably wise should not be direct choices we strive for - not in my ideal world.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
OH, this question has so much potential for tangents and hyperbolas. I know I am not blissful or ignorant (perhaps little because I do not know how many parallel universes are there? and many other equally important things). I am sometimes miserable, but I am not wise more than just sometimes, rarely, maybe a little. What would be the best - to enjoy moments of bliss while being comfortably wise without obligation to be a sage.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
It's a bit late for such questions now, isn't it? If I am ignorant, I will always strive for knowledge and wisdom as it is in my nature. Any regrets pertaining to the burdensome nature of such knowledge can only come after the fact. Thus I vote for option 2.

Reactions: Hammerhand

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
I am ignorant on many levels. That's okay. I'll never know everything there is to know in the universe. It does make you pause and wonder how tiny and small your own knowledge really is. Even achieving one Ph.D degree is hard enough, and then you have literally thousands of academic disciplines, which have their own knowledge base....a lifetime isn't enough.

However, if I had to make a choice, I'd be miserably wise.

·
Registered
344 Posts
jhbvjhfbgsyudfbhsbdvhskygkhdbv I can not answer this question.

Reactions: TyTy

·
Registered
897 Posts
Miserably wise.

"Ignorance is (perhaps) a Bliss",
but,
"The Truth will set you FREE."

Wake up Neo, and swallow that red pill.
The Truth is calling you like a splinter in your mind. you can feel it, Neo.
so don't deny/neglect/reject it (like many others do).
fulfillt it.

·
Banned
696 Posts
Cliche but true: blissfully ignorant people really are content with life. All the unhappy people I've met were insightful like Superman - eyes burning holes through the world's multilayered BS. The truth is that you gotta be somewhere in the middle: not too ignorant, but not wise to the point where you want to melt into the ground. You can choose where you want to be on the spectrum.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts