Personality Cafe banner

Would you rather

• Forget who you are

• Forget everyone else

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
I would totally, 100% forget myself before forgetting other people. It would be like releasing all my baggage and getting a new name and a fresh start. Who knows what I would end up doing? I would forget I was a musician and a teacher. I would forget that I know things. I would forget that I’m strong, but I would also forget that I’m weak and broken.

My husband died last month, and I’m not who I once was anyway. I’m having to make up dreams for myself because I have no idea what I should do. That man was my world, and he’s gone. I don’t even want to have dreams. I would much rather forget who I am than forget the sweet and wonderful man my husband was. I never, ever want to forget him.

Reactions: Llyralen
This lockdown made me realise at what point I am a loner.
I promised not to let myself down anymore long ago...
I realized also I focus far too much on my work and independance, so that I don't need to question myself about my relations in depth.
I am at a turning point, should I trust (some) others a bit more to keep on exploring this mad world, with surprises all the way....they always happen if we believe in them.

I’d rather forget myself. That’s a fresh, clean slate. I can rediscover things, get past traumas, etc. Perhaps I can even improve.

Forgetting everyone else would be far too isolating and the thought of making connections again sounds exhausting already…

I suppose I rather forget myself but perhaps this question pertains more to age for me more so than the need to be surrounded by others, Im sure at a young age the people who love me will find me - many of my love ones have passed away or are in need of my care - and I don’t want to let go of those memories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s pretty complicated with people who have passed on because wouldn’t forgetting yourself mean forgetting them? I might have read this question wrong. I thought it meant other people forgetting me. I’d much rather other people forget me and then I can re-establish the relationships that I remember which are a part of me….. complicated.

Reactions: ai.tran.75
If I forgot myself, then it's like forgetting all the efforts I've made to grow as well as the growth I've underwent. Either way, I like myself (more) now and I wouldn't trade it for the world. also, I wouldn't want to forget my characters!

forget others I think... though sometimes I really wish I was rid of my identity, just wasn't me, so it is a bit difficult, I think that isn't really a good kind of desire though, just tempting... but if I forgot who I was, I would also forget my bond to other people, I might remember who they were, but not how we connect, not what they are to me really. If I remembered who I was, I could rediscover them as myself if they were willing. I think in a way, forgetting who you are completely, isn't that pretty much like dying? and then someone new take over?

This is tough, but I’d rather forget myself.
The reason is simple; because I trust that I’ll be able to rediscover who I am all over again. My memories of the people around me would help me know who I can trust, and those will help me in my new journey.

Forget myself. I wouldn’t want to not know why my loved ones are my loved ones. As far as myself…as long as the ‘wiring’ is still there, I should act like myself even if I can’t recall all the seminal experiences that built the wiring.

And if forgetting myself included forgetting experiences…then there are so many books and movies I’ll get to enjoy for the first time again! That would be magical.

In both cases you'd forget everyone. The people you know like your family and friends are a big part of you and are connected to your self-awareness and sense of place in the world. If you forget yourself you'd forget all the built-up bonds or memories of them because you'd wipe the entire slate clean. You'd have no points of reference.

But ignoring that issue, I would prefer to forget myself. Forgetting everyone seems really lonely and like losing understanding of my own past and origin would give me a deep existential crisis like nothing else - would be like having dementia. Can you imagine forgetting who your own parents were? Disturbing.
Might as well just wipe it all and start a new life cycle. Although ideally I'd want to have my mind put into a new body if I'm going to be reverted back to an infant-like state.

Forget myself, I feel anyway that I 99% see myself through others, happiness depends on who I am with etc.

Forget everyone. You can always meet them again. Since when do I let myself be defined by others? People are idiots. I can't give them that power. Forget, then get to know everyone again, if it must.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.