Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which would you rather?

Random question...

I think it would be more interesting to see what people think I am or view me as

I reckon this question might hold relevance to Fe vs Fi preferences

·
Registered
ISFP
3,109 Posts
Both, so I could compare who I am to who people perceive me as.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I prefer to understand who I am. People usually can't see why I do stuffs, and misinterpretate me a lot... I'm interested in how they see me just to fix my bad sides, and to become better in my communication with them.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Definitely the latter (assuming that by the question you mean intuitively and correctly knowing who you are vs intuitively and correctly knowing how others perceive you).

Self-awareness can be developed, but it's not easy to understand things from other people's perspectives, and I'm genuinely curious as to who others believe I am (because they're probably never going to tell me directly).

·
Registered
10,154 Posts
I like a very generic over top view of how others generally view me IRL. Just extremely practical only on a need to know basis. But outside that, absolutely not! Why: because if I actually saw the audiences mind watching me on the stage I would over think almost all my actions. (Um that sounds like the down side of being NFJ (fuck that :laughing: I don't want that curse). I prefer to imagine I am the only one in the room when 'performing' (performance in almost every context) I think we estps can be obnoxious and overstate our presence because of this quality but it also allows the ability to pursue things uninhibited and more fearless.

Now how I care to be perceived and what they think in personal relationships like of my actual network of people like family, friends, people I respect, romantic prospects etc ... yes I do care what those people think. These are people I am willing to take constructive criticisms etc and evaluate their perspective of me.

I would say I strive more so to know myself. Which I can struggle with the balance of my Ti vs Fe for sure at times. But I strive to know myself in part with the aid of valid perception of those closest to me.

Not sure you can have one without the other, if I have to pick I care more to learn myself thru experience and trial and error rather than thru others eyes.

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,690 Posts
I'd rather know what other people think I am. I already know that I'm me, but how am I perceived and categorized by others? It would offer new insight.

One of my friends told me that I used a lot of big, long words in conversation. I never would have noticed! I thought people gave me blank stares because I babbled all over the place and was weird, not because of my word choice! I'm not going to dumb down the way I speak, but I'll be more open to rephrasing myself. I'm still going to say "surreptitiously" whenever it is the best word for the job.

Reactions: Santa Gloss

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I'd rather know who I am. I already know exponentially more about who others think I am, and while that's helpful I'd rather figure out who I really am instead.

·
Banned
15,562 Posts
I would be more interested in seeing how others view me. I think it would be easier to change the way I act around them than to see how I truly am and actually change the bad things about myself.

·
Banned
8,873 Posts
WHo people think i am..

because i already know who i am. XD

so its really amusing what people thinks of me. ;)

·
Registered
307 Posts
If I care I can understand what others think of me (and more often than not they just say it) but I totally can't get who I am besides my origins, hobbies and stuff I've done so I'd go for this.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
I am what you think of me.
I do what I think is interesting.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm acutely aware of what individuals think of me, and automatically cater towards what I think will make them like me. This annoys me a lot. I wish I knew what I was really naturally like in society. I'm not even sure how I would naturally communicate with people in an ideal world because I've been trying to be a people pleaser for so many years. It bothers me a lot, honestly.

I wish I knew who I was independent of others, but I don't really know how I can even figure that out. Whoever I think I am tends to wash away around others.

Talking to people just feels broadly empty despite how social I am, and I just want to know what an ideal friend would even mean to me. I often fantasize that I was a certain way and dream out the interactions I would have.

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Which would you rather?

Random question...

I think it would be more interesting to see what people think I am or view me as

I reckon this question might hold relevance to Fe vs Fi preferences
As a game, getting a bead on who people think I am--depending on the people--is fun. But for real? Most people don't know me at all--only by some words on a page or a photo, or isolated incidents from which they build an imaginary 'me' so who cares what these drive-bys think of me.

I care about learning who I am, including Johari's Blind Spot, and that may never happen, but the search is interesting.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Of course I'd rather know who I am; that's absolutely necessary to living my life well.

Who other people think I am isn't nearly as useful, and I couldn't make much use of that knowledge anyhow without knowing myself. Who other people think I am is probably wrong or at best incomplete in most circumstances anyhow. I'd rather not know to avoid getting pissed off about their assumptions and narrow-minded judgments.

·
Registered
385 Posts
In a way, I think knowing how people view me could help me understand myself better. I think I'm so in my own head that I actually can't see myself clearly and I miss things that are blatantly obvious to other people.

·
Registered
Infp 6w5
2,845 Posts
It depends whether or not my current self-evaluations are true.
I think I know who I am inside, I'm confident about it too. If my perceptions are indeed true then I'd next like to know how others percieve me.

But if I'm all wrong then I'd rather know that first. I'd prioritize knowing myself over knowing what others think of me.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Understanding others, I normally keep my distance unless shown otherwise. Some people are just not trustworthy people.

·
Boaz & Jachin
Верховная Жрица
14,900 Posts
Would You Rather Know Who You Are OR Who People Think You Are?
Already know myself, I'm generally interested in how others perceive me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hmm, I would prefer to know what others think of me. I'm already used to knowing things about myself, so knowing what other people think of me is way more interesting.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts