Personality Cafe banner

Would you rather lose all the memories you have now vs keep the memories you’ve created but unable to create new ones?

983 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  smilingsun 
#1 ·
Hypothetically speaking- if you had to choose
Would you rather lose all the memories(verbal/kinetic /emotional etc ) that you have now but you’re able to create new ones for the rest of your life or to keep all the memories that you have created but unable to create new ones after a 24 hours time span?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I guess it depends on how old you are.
It sucks, but since I am only 22 years old, I'll opt for option A, losing all of my past memories.

With some time, I could probably make an effort to regain those memories (through stories and what-not).
But I have my whole life ahead of me, so I'll opt for making new memories.

If I was 85, I would say fuck it. I'll probably have dementia by that point anyway lol

Reactions: ai.tran.75
#3 ·
Would you rather lose all the memories(verbal/kinetic /emotional etc ) that you have now but you’re able to create new ones for the rest of your life or to keep all the memories that you have created but unable to create new ones after a 24 hours time span?

Nope. I'm not giving up any of that. It makes me who I am. I've read about someone who had some sort of brain damage that left them unable to form new memories. That sounds like hell.

#4 ·
I would probably go with losing my memories, just because that takes away all of the scars and guilt from the past. Sure you would take away the good memories too. But I personally don't believe in living in the past, I look forward to new memories and chances to experience things all over again. Some might rationalize that you would be naive, ignorant, and stupid, maybe even losing parts of yourself, but I don't see it that way. It's a chance to start anew even if you might make the same mistakes that wouldn't stop me from trying to grow and experience life.

#5 ·

Option A: Seems interesting but what I did 1 second before this is now in the past, so would I lose that memory? Or would I keep it because I did that very recently? Where would you draw the line between past and present? It's useful for creating new memories and living new things but what memories are considered past? Also, the past helps you learn. How can you learn from mistakes if you lose your past memories?

Option B: I keep all my memories, but would happen after 24 hours? Would my brain be unable to process new things? Would my brain shut down? What would happen to my body if I chose option B? The human brain is always processing what it sees, how could I stop it from processing new things?

The most important questions here are:

-OPTION A: Are memories related to learning kept or deleted? If the answer is "deleted" then option A is useless because I'd be living without knowledge. However, if the answer is "kept" then I'd choose option A, develop a cure, cure everyone and get rich

-Option B: What is the cause of me not being able to generate new memories? If there is a cause then there must not be a solution

-BOTH OPTIONS: Why did this happen? What's the cause of everything? What is there exact damage done to the brain? No matter the options I'd go get brain tests done, figure out what happened to my brain and develop a solution

WHAT I'D CHOOSE: No option. Both have way too many unanswered questions, many of them being way too important not to be considered. Furthermore, nothing implies I'm forced to answer, so I would say "none" and try to develop a solution. Also, I'd try to convince someone to get brain tests done after choosing. The thing is, both past and present memories are important.
There are too many possibilities for each choice, choosing is dangerous

#6 ·

If I lost my past memories wouldn't that include things like numeracy, literacy and socialization?

If so you bet I'd rather keep my shit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.