Personality Cafe banner

Would you sacrifice yourself to save your SO's life?

• I am a woman, and yes I would.

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • I am a man, and yes I would.

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • I am a woman, and no I wouldn't.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • I am a man, and no I wouldn't.

Votes: 5 17.2%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
5,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your gender, and would you sacrifice yourself to save your SO's life?
(If you are single, go by past SO's or your imaginary future SO)

·
Registered
15,426 Posts
Female- before kids in a heart beat, now no

Female

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Woman.
No, I wouldn't.
It would break me and traumatise me, but I wouldn't.
I trust that every person has a path in life, and I wouldn't sacrifice my aliveness for someone else. Not even my parents or a sibling.
I don't have kids, so I can't say about that.
If I were to die, I wouldn't want my partner to sacrifice himself for me either. We must trust that our lives are unfolding as they should, and when they must end, they must end and that's it.

·
Banned
20,076 Posts
Male w/semi-imagined female.

Within an instant, yes, of course. Life should be a void without them and it's undesirable that it shouldn't. Even if it were not reciprocated, within an instant.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Male.

What a conundrum, I can't push myself to definitively answer in either direction because it is entirely dependent on the circumstances of the relationship, the existence of children/dependents, the details of the event surrounding it and the time available to make the decision.

Simplistically I would say that if it is a matter of health and there were children involved and one of us would be in a better overall position to take care of them we would decide amongst each other what happens next.

If it is a quick and dangerous situation that necessitates the decision then by principle I would sacrifice myself, though I know most self respecting SO's I partner with would gladly stand by my side as well in situations like this, unless of course again there are children involved and she would be more suited to be the survivor.

I guess looking at it without the lens of child care being a factor, I would do so with the hope that they would be fully willing to do the same.

Still there is always that corner of your mind that is operating to make that decision based on understanding of the capacity of their love, trust and respect being of equal or even greater in value to your own towards them.

One can always posit that perception as false as we cannot yet read minds but that is of course part and parcel of a committed loving relationship.

Reactions: series0

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
The goal is to help, save, assist others without endangering myself. No, I wouldn't make the active choice of sacrificing "myself" for an SO. I assume everyone does the same when the roles is reversed. Will to live is simply too strong and animalistic when shit hits the fan.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
So cliche, but I'd be capable of it for siblings, mother, father, friend. I don't know why it wouldn't happen for an ideal lover for any other reason than ideal doesn't exist. Thus hypothetically, yes and realistically, no.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts

I've never had a SO, so I understand if this detail affects the soundness of my response.

Would I attempt to protect them in the face of danger? Sure.

However, no. I would not flat-out sacrifice myself for a SO if it was simply a hypothetical choice between life or death, nor would I demand or expect them to do the same for me.

The loss would definitely be difficult to process, but eventually, it would cease to haunt me.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Female.

This depends on the situation. Donating organs is pretty risky, protecting them from bullets [in the case of a mass shooter] involves risk as well. Would I willingly say I'd rather die in their place? No. Would I risk the odds to protect them from harm? Probably.

In most of those physical protection scenarios, I would feel some type of way protecting him from harm though. That's likely the result of residual gender role bias.

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,448 Posts
I am willing to sacrifice my life for strangers & offspring only. Stranger(s)& offspring and/or defenseless agents in distress are more important than a S.O.

Then they can save themselves. I am doomed (&) do not consider that rational self-sacrifice for via ' romantic love' (re: faux-delusions). That is not altruism -- that is only jumping off the sinking Titanic (&) ignoring the life boats.

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
Meh even back when I was married my ex really would have said I should be the one surviving to take care of our kids. To be honest I am pretty sure he would still agree with that statement. While he is a great 'daddy', and I am a hit or miss 'mommy' he acknowledges full well in our very civil coparenting arrangement that I am the most suitable 'parent'. So there for I am offering some 'mommy' but full amount parenting. Each of my daughters dads, have both acknowledged to me their happiness in the mother I have been to my daughters helping them navigate life and evolve into functional people. But we are all those kinda easy going blended family everyone have a barbecue and be civil people and do what's best for kids. I would stay with my cubs

·
Registered
761 Posts
With my current SO, yeah probably.
I don't have a family anyway, my partner is the only person I own my life, so of course I'd do anything to save his.

Reactions: Monadnock

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Female. Would I risk my life to save his? Yes. Would I exchange my life for his? I don't know; it depends on the situation. My first concern is that if I did, he would live the rest of his life despairing and feeling guilty. He doesn't even like when I end up paying more for something than he does - I can't imagine how he would feel if he helplessly watched me die. That said, I obviously would be devastated by his death, as well. To be honest, if we had kids, I think he might be a better parent, and he has less health issues than I do... and the kids would give him love and something to live for. Still - an awful choice either way!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Seldomly would we be in a situation where we know for sure we would be sacrificing our lives I think.. I would protect and save by whatever means, and maybe I die in process.. but hopefully stay alive.

It would be a different story if... let's say... almost symbolically my Gf needs a heart transplant, and I the only one who has one to give that matches.
Would I then?.. I would expect my gf to say "No, let me die.", not "Yes, give me your heart". I wouldn't ask for it if it was me.
I mean.. lol, it be almost heartless of her and selfish to just want mine then.
Or.. she could say "Oh, you just heartless"...... maybe if I had some condition where I knew I would last long, but she could have full life.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Woman.
No I wouldn't. I'm not even willing to do things such as living in another city in spite of me, and if I'm forced to do so I would be very resentful.

·
Premium Member
INTP
11,901 Posts
No I wouldn't. My kids come first. I wouldn't sacrifice myself for anyone except them.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
No one has greater love than those who would lay down their life for a friend. If I was put in this awful situation, I'd be crying and shaking, praying like a zealot, maybe involuntary pissing myself...but if it truly did result in my SO's life being saved, yeah I'd go through with it.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I would, even though it is unlikely they would do the same for me. I am really moronic when in love.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts