Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im creating this thread because I just finished the game final fantasy XIII. And I wanted to see what was an INFJ's take on being chosen to save the world.

so lets say that the world is in great danger, it can be threatened by anything you want...by an alien force, monsters, other people, something.
and then, something else. a "good" entity chooses you along with a small group of people to save the world.

would you do it? what would be your motives? your own survival or the survival of others? remember that it will be an extremely exhausting and dangerous peril, you or your friends might even perish, also people will still be the kind of shit they are...its not like they will all unite to save the world...society will pretty much remain the same while the world is in danger.

I guess that I would save it, its my home and the home of thousand of others and I think that is enough reason to save it, even if some people do not deserve it.
what would you do?

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
would you do it? what would be your motives? your own survival or the survival of others? remember that it will be an extremely exhausting and dangerous peril, you or your friends might even perish, also people will still be the kind of shit they are...its not like they will all unite to save the world...society will pretty much remain the same while the world is in danger.
Yes, I would save the world if I could. I don't blame society for anything anymore. I look it at it from the "average" person's perspective and not my own.

I don't think people are "shit" in general, although some certainly are. I try not to stereotype. Some people are better suited to "unite and save the world" than others. That doesn't mean that the meek and the innocent should not be taken care of.

I don't know about my motives. That's the main thing I don't like about myself right now. I'm more confident than ever before, and I am happy for the most part, but this part still kind of troubles me.

I have come to the realization recently that I can't be completley self-serving without feeling like a bad person. Latley, it feels more like I am serving myself by serving others, which in all honestly, still seems a little self-serving to me, especially considering that I do actually desire attetion from other people (which I hate).

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
would you do it? what would be your motives? your own survival or the survival of others? remember that it will be an extremely exhausting and dangerous peril, you or your friends might even perish, also people will still be the kind of shit they are...
If that's what it took, I'd die fighting.

That is my conviction at least.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
You know it would just turn back to shit after you saved it.
Regardless....

If my well being was in the hands of someone else, I'd want them to save me. How can I desire to be saved by someone else, and then not fight tooth and nail to save people when I am in that position?

I'd give my life if necessary, for that principle.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
If it meant leaving this behind to go on a journey of greater strength, yes. I'd definitely do it. I'd go for it entirely, regardless of the consequences.

I just need super powers first.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Im creating this thread because I just finished the game final fantasy XIII. And I wanted to see what was an INFJ's take on being chosen to save the world.

so lets say that the world is in great danger, it can be threatened by anything you want...by an alien force, monsters, other people, something.
and then, something else. a "good" entity chooses you along with a small group of people to save the world.

I guess that I would save it, its my home and the home of thousand of others and I think that is enough reason to save it, even if some people do not deserve it.
what would you do?
Do I get a gunsword and a team of androgenes to help?

·
Registered
644 Posts
That's pretty much the plot to most of my favourite books...

If someone arrived on my doorstep tomorrow in an odd cloak saying, "You are the chosen one..." I'd be surprised, then ask them what took them so long.

Get out of this futile cycle of banality and consumerism? Go on epic and meaningful quests with like minded people? Fight clear cut evil folk? Sounds like heaven.

Of course in a lot of my more modern scifi and fantasy everyone gets beaten up and tends to die tragically, but damn...I'd rather go down fighting for something I believed in and trying to make a difference then cowering in a corner and waiting for the lights to go out for the last time.

In general I’d rather try and do something difficult and meaningful and fail, than...just...exist. I want to make some sort of difference, even if it is only small.

I, ah...just need some sort of direction...once I find that though and am sure I am doing the right thing? I'll really throw myself into it, with everything that I have.

(that was a yes..you know, in case that didn't come across strongly enough)

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
If that benevolent entity were L. Ron Hubbard, then probably not...:)

Man, I eat this stuff up; apocalyptic scenarios, epic battles against overwhelming odds, quests of personal discovery...and sacrifice. Anyone read The Stand, or watch V or Invasion of the Body Snatchers when they were a kid? I used to fantasize about this very thing when I was child. Oh, how I wished for something interesting where I could test my mettle (which was never terribly awe-inspiring at its best). No offense, Zomboy, but I hope it wouldn't be a zombie infestation. Much as I enjoy zombie flicks, 28 Days later freaked me out. Maybe slower zombies, as in the original Night of the Living Dead.

Anyway, would I do it? Yes. I would do it for kicks. To be honest, I could care less about the continuation of society, not because I necessarily think humanity is inherently this or that, mostly because I realize that it is merely an arbitrary collection of individuals and I just don't much care for it in general. Nevertheless, I think, at the very least, it would be interesting, and that's a heck of a lot more than you can say about most things. Plus, I am going to probably have my brain eaten or be enslaved or have my Thetan levels drained, anyway, so why not join in on the excitement.

----

As for being self-serving, everything on this planet operates according to it's own self-interest, at all times. And this is proper and good and does not need to be changed. It is simply the way things are, how they operate. If this had not been the case, life would not exist. I am sure I will catch some flack for this, but altruism is a myth, a delusion, and not even an interesting one. Humans (and everything else) always do what pleases most or harms least, according to their individual value systems. Notice that this does not preclude generosity and charitable acts, it merely acknowledges the fact that such acts have at their roots what are ultimately self-interested motives, and this is good. It makes standing up for your values, or donating to charity no less noble (let's face it, it is difficult sometimes), it is simply being honest about the your motives.

If you wish to help your fellow humans because you feel connected to them, particularly some of them, then you automatically have a selfish motive (if they perish, you will be sad or feel that you have lost something of value, whether it is the loss of their lives, your community, or your self respect at not standing up for them). If you value your fellow humans, then you help them because it makes you feel good to do so, and not doing so would make you feel bad. No one wants to feel bad. If you do not value your fellow humans, but wish to help them because you have adopted a value system that says that this is right and proper, then you help them because to do otherwise would cause you distress (and perhaps because you fear some sort of punishment, whether the everlasting variety or something more fleeting).

It is a balancing act, but is always based on your values, on whichever value is strongest. Even if you sacrifice your own life for your cause (whatever that cause happens to be), or another person or creature, it is still merely a matter of whether you value your cause or your life more; whether living with the consequences is more painful than standing up for your values is pleasurable.

·
Registered
644 Posts
As for being self-serving, everything on this planet operates according to it's own self-interest, at all times.
QUOTE]

Yep, totally agree...I brought this up in an Ethics class once and no one understood it, everyone just kept saying how they didn't know about me, but they weren't selfish...clearly there was something wrong with me and my value system. *sigh* None of my class were really very on the ball when it came to abstract things like, ah but to place value, or have a value system, is part of that inate selfishness.

To be or have a self, is to act selfishly. To desires anything is self-ish, but to desire is also the thing that keeps us alive and makes us live.

That being said...there is a continuum of selfishness, as you piont out.

·
Registered
945 Posts
No, I'm afraid I would not.
If the world and the peope in it were not going to change and theyre were going to carry on being the same, I think I'd refuse to be the primary cause of allowing people to go on living, and hurting, and torturing and kiling etc etc. No, I would let a greater force than me decide wether we deserved to carry on living or not.
Maybe in the big scheme of things, replacing humanity with another life form, or even cleansing earth of us, so it can renew in whatever form, is what is meant to be.
I would not be instrumental in maintaining the status quo we have now. Besides which, I really dont want to be the pawn in some cosmic entities game.

G. x

·
Registered
644 Posts
you'll get the weapons and powers you would like to have...an a party of 5 friends, with an annoying girl included
How could you say no to this?

You could say yes, do nothing, and just play about with magic until everything ended...not my personal option, but come on...

Though if this were to happen, with me being so into this type of stuff, I'd proably get cast as the anoying girl. Just for the irony.

·
Registered
644 Posts
No, I'm afraid I would not.
If the world and the peope in it were not going to change and theyre were going to carry on being the same, I think I'd refuse to be the primary cause of allowing people to go on living, and hurting, and torturing and kiling etc etc.
G. x
But what about love? Joy? Happness? Art? The way sunlight feels on your skin? The taste of bacon?

What about the people you care about?

Is none of that worth saving?

Maybe in the big scheme of things, replacing humanity with another life form, or even cleansing earth of us, so it can renew in whatever form, is what is meant to be.
What about the human capacity for kindness and selflessness, which goes beyond that of all other animals?

Animals often kill and eat their young, and a range of other things, some humans actually choose to be vegitarians as a moral option...animals don't, they aren't clever enough. They are also habitual rapists. If they were more intelligent they might even do worst thing than we do.

No, I would let a greater force than me decide wether we deserved to carry on living or not.

I really dont want to be the pawn in some cosmic entities game.
Huh? I don't understand your reasoning.

(and I would think of myself as at least a Knight, I mean only I could do it, right?)

I know this is your opionon, and we don't have to agree, but it just saddens me you view the world and people in such a negative way. :unsure:

·
Registered
945 Posts
But what about love? Joy? Happness? Art? The way sunlight feels on your skin? The taste of bacon?

What about the people you care about?

Is none of that worth saving?

What about the human capacity for kindness and selflessness, which goes beyond that of all other animals?

Animals often kill and eat their young, and a range of other things, some humans actually choose to be vegitarians as a moral option...animals don't, they aren't clever enough. They are also habitual rapists. If they were more intelligent they might even do worst thing than we do.

Huh? I don't understand your reasoning.

(I would think of myself as at least a Knight, I mean only I could do it, right?)

I know this is your opionon, and we don't have to agree, but it just saddens me you view the world and people in such a negative way. :unsure:
Smiles * Dont be sad Filigree, luckilly the destruction of the world and the people in it is not in my hands.
I do appreciate those rare gem moments that I have witnessed of real love, bravery, compassion, small acts of kindness, the spark of the divine that sometimes shows through in certain humans, however, the suffering, the impolitic suffering of millions upon millions of miserable humanity, in ways that grow ever more horrific by the year, far outweighs the small oasises of beauty.
If a dog is badly injured and suffers, would you make it carry on till its last painful gasp? or would you humanely send it to sleep out of love and compassion?
I would not make the world 'suffer' anymore by keeping it going in its present form. Im my own possibly twisted way, I would turn away, and close my eyes , and hope the end was quick for us all, a release from suffering forever, for all.
I would let the infinite web of the Universe decide our fate, call it God, call it the Universe, call it infinite consciousness, call it Gladys, call it what you like,.. as its wheels turn, it will churn out a reality for our dimension, with or without my help.
The 'good' cosmic entity in the OP, seems to be playing dice with the world, as Einstein said, God does not play dice with the Universe, and neither do I, and neither do 'good entities', and I will not be the dice that that supposed good enttiy rolls, in his cosmic game. There is a higher force, than even 'good entities', I trust to that :)
G. x

·
Registered
644 Posts
Smiles * Dont be sad Filigree, luckilly the destruction of the world and the people in it is not in my hands.
I do appreciate those rare gem moments that I have witnessed of real love, bravery, compassion, small acts of kindness, the spark of the divine that sometimes shows through in certain humans, however, the suffering, the impolitic suffering of millions upon millions of miserable humanity, in ways that grow ever more horrific by the year, far outweighs the small oasises of beauty.
If a dog is badly injured and suffers, would you make it carry on till its last painful gasp? or would you humanely send it to sleep out of love and compassion?
I would not make the world 'suffer' anymore by keeping it going in its present form. Im my own possibly twisted way, I would turn away, and close my eyes , and hope the end was quick for us all, a release from suffering forever, for all.
I would let the infinite web of the Universe decide our fate, call it God, call it the Universe, call it infinite consciousness, call it Gladys, call it what you like,.. as its wheels turn, it will churn out a reality for our dimension, with or without my help.
The 'good' cosmic entity in the OP, seems to be playing dice with the world, as Einstein said, God does not play dice with the Universe, and neither do I, and neither do 'good entities', and I will not be the dice that that supposed good enttiy rolls, in his cosmic game. There is a higher force, than even 'good entities', I trust to that :)
G. x
I don't think humanity is any worse than it was, and at least we try and be humaine, we tend not to burn anyone alive anymore in most parts of the world.

I think people desirve a choice, they arn't like animals, they can talk and let their feeling be known. Each person must decide for themselves if life is worth it, if not most can chose to end it themselves. In general, people are not forced to live or have no way out (excluding where suicide is illigal, and issues aroun ethenasis in the sick/elderly)

I wouldn't want to decide something like that for everyone. I certainly wouldn't want someone to decide it for me.

What about those who have suffered and worked hard to over come suffering? People who had a hard life and want to live anyway, because it is precouse to them? I feel it would be cruel to snatch away something they consider that importaint to them. As long as people find value in life, why shouldn't their lives be defended?

I think it would be worse to take that away from people, to remove the choice. I don't think I have the right to decided if people desirve to live or not.

I'd fight because I felt it was right, not because I was told to by something high and mighty.

I would fight even if I wasn't chosen, or if I knew I would probably lose.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts