Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fe
The process of extraverted Feeling often involves a desire to connect with (or disconnect from) others and is often evidenced by expressions of warmth (or displeasure) and self-disclosure. The “social graces,” such as being polite, being nice, being friendly, being considerate, and being appropriate, often revolve around the process of extraverted Feeling. Keeping in touch, laughing at jokes when others laugh, and trying to get people to act kindly to each other also involve extraverted Feeling.

Using this process, we respond according to expressed or even unexpressed wants and needs of others. We may ask people what they want or need or self-disclose to prompt them to talk more about themselves. This often sparks conversation and lets us know more about them so we can better adjust our behavior to them. Often with this process, we feel pulled to be responsible and take care of others’ feelings, sometimes to the point of not separating our feelings from theirs. We may recognize and adhere to shared values, feelings, and social norms to get along.

If you are in touch with Fe, how high do you think you're in tact with it on a scale from 1 to 100?
Also, if you're not in tact with Fe and that if it is a shadow function to you, would you say that you want to seek out Fe and improve on it? What is Fe to you?

·
Registered
751 Posts
I'm sort of in touch with my Fe - my mother seems to put a big emphasis on etiquette and manners e.g saying please and thank you, doing what you're told etc. I grew up using these things but I don't think I've ever fully understood their necessity - they seem a bit irrelevant sometimes. I wouldn't be annoyed if someone didn't shake my hand or gave me a hug, though perhaps if they didn't say thank you which I believe is pure mental conditioning.

My reasons for being kind/gentle/considerate to others is that I often feel guilt if I make someone else upset. I don't think I go overly out of my way to understand others on a personal level, I usually introspect to try and understand the various ways people think and apply their situations to that framework. I can't say my feelings have ever become entangled with someone else's, meaning that I wasn't sure whether they were their's or mine. I know when I am sympathizing with someone's feelings and can tell the difference between it being their feeling or mine (although this may be because I'm quite intrapersonal.) My problem often tends to be that I know what I want but sometimes not how much I want it (I may convince myself I want so-and-so thing in life and later realise I wanted it because I actually wanted something else.)

I have on occasion gone out to make the world a better place, and to help people for example Greenpeace/ The Peace Corps / Red Cross etc. I've been told this is an Fe way of thinking, can anybody confirm? However I may want these things simply because of idealism and for the desire of personal fulfillment.

When I do things for others, e.g get drinks for people at work I tend to feel a form of mental resistance to the plan which I have to suppress to a degree in order to go through with it. I can only speculate why this is (it's probably because I'm selfish!) Does anyone else experience such a thing when using their shadow functions?

Finally, are the external show of emotions linked to Fe or can it also be linked to Fi? I smile and laugh a lot (often out of shyness) but I never cry. The last time I cried has been exactly a year now. I tend to show my negatives usually in anger or frustration or a total rage :)

On the scale of 1 to 100 on using Fe, I don't think I could say. I would guess at 44-45.

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
The “social graces,” such as being polite, being nice, being friendly, being considerate, and being appropriate, often revolve around the process of extraverted Feeling. Keeping in touch, laughing at jokes when others laugh, and trying to get people to act kindly to each other also involve extraverted Feeling.

[...] We may ask people what they want or need or self-disclose to prompt them to talk more about themselves. [...] Often with this process, we feel pulled to be responsible and take care of others’ feelings ...
I do the above, but I really think it's my Fi combined with my Six need for security. I feel more "safe" when I don't stand out, so I try to blend in a little; also, I tend to take care of things when it's obvious no one else will. Then one of my Fi values is roughly something along the lines of "helping is good."

I think Fi can look a lot like Fe, but Fe has a harder time looking like Fi.

If you are in touch with Fe, how high do you think you're in tact with it on a scale from 1 to 100?
I wouldn't say I'm in touch with it, but it looks like I am about 35-45%, if not more.

Also, if you're not in tact with Fe and that if it is a shadow function to you, would you say that you want to seek out Fe and improve on it? What is Fe to you?
No, I prefer Fi to Fe, which is an incredibly horrible bias. Fe is a good function--it takes care of people and upholds important group values--but Fi works better for me. Combined with Ne, it lets me say, "Well, this is what I believe, but I can see how that can work for you" on most topics. Also, Fe looks to me like lying to yourself and others sometimes (even though I know it's not for Fe users) by wearing masks or following everyone else.

·
Registered
INFP
1,484 Posts
I am extraordinarily polite, and I typically know exactly how to make people happy. (I'm not saying I always do what I know will make people happy. It really depends on my mood. If I'm feeling drained, I'm not going to laugh at your stupid joke, har har. So it does take energy at times.) I can't say that I had a single enemy throughout high school or in college, so far. I don't know if this is just another way of using Fi, though, or creepy shadow Fe.

For one, I strongly believe that all people are equals and should be treated with equal respect. Therefore, I treat others the way I would like to be treated. If I don't like someone, I won't be fake towards them, but I'm not going to lash out at them or try to get back at them in any way. (All the negativity is generally introverted, and I deal with it emotionally until I can just brush it off.) I also like to give people the benefit of the doubt in "bad" situations, so I'm usually not very hard on people, anyway. So that's sort of tying in to my "values."

And it's not really F-extrovert-y how I determine how to people-please. (My interpretation is that Fe just "knows" what different people want or need.) I think it's an acquired skill and has a lot to do with observation mixed in with, again, how I would want to be treated. And, for the record, I was kind of a jerk as a kid, unknowingly, but I've learned how to get along with people really well by now.

I am very empathetic, but I still think that's Fi. When watching a movie, I'll get really pulled in and feel whatever the protagonist is feeling, and so on, but it's really not obvious that I get that emotionally close to people in real life, as well. People never realize how much I care about them, and I have difficulty and a little insecurity expressing that affection. If this makes any sense, I always know exactly how people are feeling, but I don't ever know or comprehend how they are feeling about me. So, in that way, I am never entirely connected to people.

(Feel free to tear this to shreds because I'd like to understand the Fi/Fe divide in INFPs much better than I currently do.)

·
Registered
347 Posts
I am extremely in touch with my Fe. I would rank my Fe usage somewhere between 75-80 percent. I would rank my Fi usage higher than that, but Fe is a prevalent function in my life.

Although, because of the following quote:

Often with this process, we feel pulled to be responsible and take care of others’ feelings, sometimes to the point of not separating our feelings from theirs. We may recognize and adhere to shared values, feelings, and social norms to get along.
there are times I wonder if I'm co-dependent and my Fe is masquerading as such.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
-- text --
I'm not sure about my Fe but I would like to think that it is lower than the average INFP. Say 20-10%. As far I know I'm prone to subconsciously annoying the living *beep* out of people because I can be very intimidating (but not in the ordinary way and not directly) and I'm usually reffered to as "dark". It is not uncommon that people dislike me but usually the people that dislike me aren't the people that respect me in the first place and vice versa.

I even think that I have developed / have some weird "anti-social" tendencies (still I would consider that I'm not against Fe in any way) but not in the ordinary term / way as I still have a conscience, empathy and moral integrity and I consider my Fi very high.

As far as authentic niceness -- that is common for me. On the other hand if you are a corrupted ******* then I do not want anything to do with you and perhaps I can be (personally) oppressive towards such individual if need be (I think this is a rare trait for INFP and perhaps don't sound very Fi'ish... I might even doubt I am INFP... I might be INTJ/INFJ but if that is the case -- a very procrastinating of such sort). On the other hand if you are a (personally) genuine / authentic / non-corrupt person then I might treat you like a God / Goddess and I might even be very compromising towards such individual (and I might do much to make sure we get along) and in general I can be very nice (but genuinely so) which can perhaps emulate (pseudo) a sort of Fe.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I believe I am quite in touch with my Fe, at least based on what you said in the opening. It sounds like Fe is something I may have developed unknowingly over the years, in part, because I am type 9.

The last time I took a function test, these were my Fe vs Fi results. I will use them as my scale of 1-100.

extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************************************ (48.9)
excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************************** ** (52.9)
excellent use

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I have a substantial amount of Fe going on, definitely.

Reactions: Allegorist

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
my Fe isn't terribly high. I'd say about 20 to 30 percent. Fi Ne and Te are my highest. Fi about 70 or 80. Ne about 50 or 60. and Te about 50 or 60 as well.

Reactions: Allegorist

·
Registered
51 Posts
I believe I am quite in touch with my Fe, at least based on what you said in the opening. It sounds like Fe is something I may have developed unknowingly over the years, in part, because I am type 9.
I was wondering about this correlation too. It seems to me that type 9 could be linked to Fe

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
I would like this kind of a question to be asked to all people about their dominant function (i.e. asking a Ti dominant whether or not they think they are consciously aware of Te).

I think there is a difference between a question of "are you conscious of Fe" or, "is Fe a part of your mindset".

Sometimes I question whether I am infact an infj, because I am very very in touch with the emotions of other people <add in here a number of other criteria), but as for the mechanism of Fe itself (oriented from the outside), I don't think I am that in touch with Fe.

I am concerned with the things that Fe is concerned with, but it's so different from Fi at the end of the day... I can't say Fe is a part of my mindset. I was brought up in a moral driven environment; with an enneagram 2 esfj mother and an istp enneagram 6 father and in a very loving, moral driven catholic education. A lot of their moral inclinations I identified with. It can look like Fe here, but it was ME who decided what I considered as "true" and 'right'. I can imagine that It would be much easier to separate my feeling orientation, if I was in an environment that was critically opposed to my own sense of right/wrong and values. I have always been surrounded by an environment that largely aligned with what I thought was right (it's never been flowers and roses though).

I know what Fi feels like when it is fully engaged. It's very very intense; I don't know whether the same can be said of Fe. I am quite aware of my own subjectivity.

Ultimately I am driven to look after others, and am concerned by their thoughts and emotions, and am compelled to take care of them, because of the intense inner world of feelings I get when I do and don't, also because I hold myself to very high standards. Not because of external "forces". And I go about it in a particular way that I think is very different than an Fe dominant might go about it.

On the question of am I aware of Fe? and the answer to that is yes, I think it's on my radar, as I think functions are like a circle. On the question of "Am I in touch" with it; as in, it's a part of my mindset, I don't really think so. it really tires me.

I'll have to think about this some more.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My Fe is weak. When I got older, I have gotten more in touch with with my Introvert Feeling which is pretty strong. Strong Fi with a weak Fe makes you come off as cold, serious, and sometimes awkward to those that don't know you well enough though. Well for me that is. I honestly don't have any problems with my weak Fe to be honest, and I think it could be the reason why I have a hard time connecting with people, and making friends since I hardly had any in my lifetime since I'm into my internal emotions which is Fi. I only cared about one person in my life ever, and wanted to connect, but it was an odd situation I don't understand too much so I will leave that out at the moment.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
On function tests, I score quite low on Fe. I believe my Te is higher and I see more of it in my interactions, although being fueled by Fi I don't come off like a Te-aux person at all.

However, based on that definition in the OP, my Fe is decent. Really, I feel Fi can lead to some Fe-like behavior because of Fi values. I think the motivation is somewhat natural to me, but the socially "correct" form is something I had to learn (and am still learning...oh yes), and there are times I may seem inconsistent with the Fe behavior because I may not see the point in certain protocol. IDK where that lands me, but let's just say I'm 50-50 on the Fe genius-retardation scale.

Reactions: under skies

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I guess on a scale of 1 to 100 I'm probably in the 70s. I'm very good at being polite and knowing how to respond I would say emotionally to a person in conversation and socially period. I can come off as very aloof at times though and avoidant, but I always know to smile politely when I should, It's just that sometimes it can be a weak smile if I am feeling really introverted.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am quite polite and do often try to behave socially acceptable, even up to a point where I have questioned my Fi-ness, but to be honest I think it is a FiNeTe-thingy.

Fi gives me good intentions, and Ne and Te tries to find out what's the best way to act to fulfill those intentions.

I often have intentions sitting inside me that I don't know how to act on. Sometimes I want everyone to be happy, to have deep feelings of connection and everyone to be friends, but I don't know how, so I sit there quietly until people think I am grumpy.

Reactions: under skies
1 - 17 of 17 Posts