Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NTs and especially xNTPs aren't typically considered very practical (though not as impractical as NFs). I wonder if it's because of having lived for more than 10 years together with a highly practical person or if it comes from certain laziness, but I don't think of myself as impractical. In fact especially at school settings I remember often being one of the more practical ones. For me impractical = inefficient (often, not always), and since I hate putting any more effort into doing things than necessary, I would rather think ahead. The practical way is often also the more logical one.

I can be very practical with money, house chores (when I get myself to actually do them), house renovation and so on. Usually it feels as if I didn't need to think about these things actively and that the practical solution comes to me quite intuitively. I can't tell you how many times I got frustrated with school people when they did things in a highly impractical and illogical manner. Why can't they see how much time they are wasting? The biggest obstacle is usually the fact that I forget to do things; even if it would be practical to warm the oven before I've finished my bread dough I may forget to do it. In short, I'd say my actions are fairly practical while my thoughts can be extremely impractical - or perhaps not impractical but at least they have little real life applications.

After writing this I feel like asking what is the proper definition for practicality. I'm not fully sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can't tell you how many times I got frustrated with school people when they did things in a highly impractical and illogical manner.
I often thought this many times throughout high-school and college when observing my peers, although I can see their impracticable approaches to studying and completing work. I would often criticize myself for completing or studying last minute as opposed to doing it in a efficient way (i.e studying all week before the week of exam finals). I think one of the reasons is that being an INTP it's difficult to get me excited in topics that don't catch 100% of my interest and that I see it as a waste of time because I could be doing something else that would in my mind be more beneficial. I would start my own personal projects that I would put more effort in to avoid doing school projects/reports.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would often criticize myself for completing or studying last minute as opposed to doing it in a efficient way (i.e studying all week before the week of exam finals).
Actually I remember hearing about research that suggests the last minute approach is often way more efficient.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hmm wondering about this myself. It seems very non ti,but if I understood correctly what I read about te that might be the one being more Practical. Although, if practical is efficient I don't know, I always strive for efficiency. If i can do it now in 1hr,but that makes recurring eventualities take 5 tops I refuse to do the quickfix.Unless it is something highly unlikely to ever happen again ofc.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'd say I'm practical and that I am very good with practical things. But that is in regards to my own definition. Though using the official definition I'd probably be pretty bad at being practical.

·
Registered
474 Posts
!

I'm practical in defining the tool-ness of something. It's usefulness, how it is valuable as a creative item at completing a task.

But beyond that rubric, my mind mind just wants to frolick among the brain trees in the brain forest and build the ultimate everything ever. For Fun! Screw profit.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
eh. I can be I suppose. It's not usually very interesting though.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's not usually very interesting though.
You know, sometimes when I'm with an friend INFP I feel like a really dull person because he's so impractical and I'm the person who brings him back down to earth. I've travelled with him abroad a few times and it's always the same: he has grand plans about visiting every possible place (once we were about 800 km from Berlin and he wanted to go there for one night just because we are "close") and I try to explain how it's impossible. But in a way I'm preventing us from having an adventure.

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
I'm not practical at all. If something breaks I couldn't fix it even if I had duct-tape and superglue.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
You know, sometimes when I'm with an friend INFP I feel like a really dull person because he's so impractical and I'm the person who brings him back down to earth. I've travelled with him abroad a few times and it's always the same: he has grand plans about visiting every possible place (once we were about 800 km from Berlin and he wanted to go there for one night just because we are "close") and I try to explain how it's impossible. But in a way I'm preventing us from having an adventure.
Yeah in your position I would be pissed off that he couldn't actually find a viable solution to get there that I couldn't see, instead only dwelling on his want to get there.

Me: dude it's impossible. please oh please tell just stop it and show me how I overlooked something so that we can do this for real...
him: What are you talking about?! It's right there, let's go!! Why are you dragging me down?
Me: ...but what about everything that unfortunately matters I just pointed out? Why would you ignore this?
him: All of that is beside the point, let's get going and everything will work itself out along the way!
Me: ...Do you really not realize there is a limit to this? Fuck it, you know what I'm just going for the satisfaction of gloating and saying I told you so when we both have to suffer and sleep in the wilderness. To be fair I never have this chance, this is always directed towards me, but thank god I have you for a friend. Pay it forward.

Reactions: lightbox

·
Registered
177 Posts
although i tend to procrastinate, i always somehow get things done in the end. i am practical in the sense that i know exactly how much time i need to get something done...so, while others would start working on an assignment weeks before and keep trying until they perfect it, i would just start the night before submission and create an outcome that is workable but not the best. this gets me labelled as an underachiever but i really dont understand how some people can give their undivided attention to a specific task

·
Registered
184 Posts
Practical to the extent of personal discipline. I'm practical with my money, and in the way I go about life day to day. But as soon as I'm having a deep conversation with someone, all practicality dies in favour of mental stimulation.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Definitely learning to be more and more practical as the days go by. I guess learning to be practical was a consequence of gaining ambition for me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts