Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Depends on the circumstances. I generally try to find some excuse to leave. My life is pretty busy so usually not too hard to find some reason I have to be elsewhere. I've also caught myself too many times nodding along and then realizing later I agreed to something but I have no idea what I just agreed to, especially with my kids.

Um hunny...why is your six year old painting the dog blue? She said she asked you and you said ok... *doh*

·
Registered
33 Posts
Depends on the situation. I have walked away from a boring person before, but that's when there is at least three people in the discussion. I figure one of us is going to leave the other here and I am not getting left. 99% of the time I zone out.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I dunno. I don't think I'd walk away from someone "boring," but certainly from someone who can't really talk to me, or do anything, etc etc. More of like, I don't gain anything from sticking around.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
If Boring Person was talking on and on about something, would you nod politely and zone out, or walk away?
Although I'd love to walk away, that has too many consequences. It's easier just to zone out, I think.
if it's an aggressive bore, the kind of bully who's intentionally cornering you and blocking your paths to escape, i'll get as aggressive and hostile as i have to be back. never got anywhere much by placating assholes.

if it's a person i like who just has the misfortune to be tedious, i'll divert and derail probably, if i can't disengage. i'm not too bad at forcing people to get out of worn conversational tracks and then blocking their paths to get back to them.

there's nothing anyone can put an actual finger on as socially criminal in saying things like 'Don't know, I never think about that'.or 'Not an area I take an interest in', or even 'i know nothing at all about it'. and such-like stuff. Just so long as you keep the tone pleasant and neutral, and act as if it's never once crossed your own mind that it might be 'rude'. works very well, when you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Walk away. No question. I do it all the time. There are very few situations I can think of where it would be difficult to do so and it's quite easy to do without being rude.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Zone out. I do this all the time.

Reactions: Delilah

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,428 Posts
The first time l did this it was by accident and not something l ever thought l would do. You'd be really surprised to find out what little consequence it actually yields.

Depending on the situation of course, l think it's fair game in a random environment with someone who approaches you first and l have no qualms about walking away now.

My memory of the last time l did it is hazy but l don't think it was too long ago, in a grocery store perhaps.

l'm betting my ''etiquette'' pertaining to not having this approach in the first place is somewhat Midwestern in nature.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If it's someone I don't know and likely will not see again, I'll just interject with some excuse as necessary to disengage and walk away.

If rudely walking away could have a negative impact/consequence in some way, I'll usually just go into "autopilot conversation mode" and think/visualize something internally which is of interest to me until I can leave.

·
Registered
143 Posts
It really depends on the person's definition of boring, some people find business,science,conspiracies,politics,mysteries,history boring, but I find topic like those very interesting.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
It surprises me that so many in this thread think it's difficult to walk away, even one-on-one. It's incredibly simple, it's not rude and there are no consequences.

If the conversation is boring, very obviously check the time once or twice and make moves towards leaving (either pack up your things, take a step towards the door, stand up from the table, etc). Then just say something along the lines of "Sorry to cut you off, but I have to run."

Tack on whatever pleasantry is appropriate to your relationship:

"I'll call you later."
"See you tomorrow."
"I'll get back to you with the info for that project."
etc.
etc.

If it's a social gathering, just excuse yourself to go to the bathroom. Or something like "Oh look! There's [some person]! Excuse me, I really wanted to [catch up with them/ask them about X/say good-bye before they leave/etc.]

In most situations, it's really not complicated to extricate yourself politely.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts