Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
INFP
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your significant other had undergone a significant and unexpected physical change prior to meeting you, would you want to see a photo of them from "before?" Do you think seeing such a photo would affect how you see them or feel about them now?

Examples: weight loss, cosmetic surgery, gender transition

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Weight loss is ok. I dunno about gender transition, since I'm not bi/pan, but it's probably ok.

Cosmetic surgery, however, I'd personally feel uncomfortable just being with someone who's had work done purely for cosmetic enhancement (not because they broke something or born with a lazy eye). I don't even need to see his "before" photo to start feeling uncomfortable, but if I saw it I might even feel afraid that I'd think, "you looked perfectly attractive before the surgery".

·
Banned
5,877 Posts
No, I wouldn't want to unless he brought it up first.

When I love someone, I love them for the person they are and no amount of flaws and changes can make me change my mind, unless it's moral/behavioral ones and in an extremely negative, hurtful and destructive direction. And I don't mean self destructive, I know the way it feels and it'd be hypocritical of me.

If they went through huge changes and significant transitions, it was because they were deeply unhappy with themselves and feeling trapped in a body that wasn't truly theirs. Even if I didn't find any fault with it, I don't have the arrogance and lack of empathy to state that they were perfectly fine or better before; where there's emotional pain and identity dissonance, any kind of beauty is painful.

So I'd never ask to see a picture, especially if I could tell that it'd make him feel uncomfortable.

I've done a lot of damage to my body in multiple directions, I erased most of those pictures in the past but I still have a good number of them since I want to keep every side of my life alive. I'm even recovering right now and his words were perfect for the occasion. But it's a private and intimate matter that I definitely won't share here.

People might sneer at demisexuality but to me physical attractiveness is a reflection of someone's inner world. I don't need perfection, a lack of flaws, to 'rate' human beings on scales from 0 to 10, nor to crucify every big or small change. That's all madness to me.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Sure if they want to show it to me. I want to see their photos when they were just a baby in a diaper lol *notes to self to ask for baby pics*

·
Registered
246 Posts
Why not?

I dated a guy awhile back that had lost 100+ pounds, and I was completely open to being shown his before pics. He'd worked so hard for close to 2 years losing weight and building his body, so getting to show off his transformation made him feel good about himself.

·
Registered
596 Posts

·
Banned
3,255 Posts
My last partner was undeniably hot, and when I went to meet his parents I found a photo of him on the mantle piece....weighing about 300lbs. I found it a curiosity, as if I've discovered a secret. But nothing more than that. He denied it was him, but dude come on, that's your face right there. I don't know why he felt so ashamed, as clearly whatever state he was in back then no longer existed now. It was quite the achievement I thought. :happy:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts