Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I´m new in this site, and I´m curious if anyone else has issues with connecting with their parents.
I listen to my friends when they talk about their parents and most of them have good relationships. Of course, they´re always issues, but I personally don´t feel a strong connection with my parents. I´ll briefly tell you how is my relationship with them.

My mom is an ESTP: We share Ti as one of our primary functions, and this helps when it comes to talk about deep topics that we like (there are just a few of them) but my mom is very obsessive and she does not accept any perspective that is different from her´s, and that has led us to a lot of conflicts.

My dad is an ISFP: I really admire him, he is a great man, but we are just not on the same frequency, like ever. We´re opposites. I oftenly get pissed when he lies to us about his problems to dodge any kind of responsibility for his actions. And when he has a conflict, it´s hard to give him advice, as he gets hurt most of the times, perhaps because I´m very direct on what I think.

So that´s a little bit about my parents and I, I have an ENFP sister and I feel more connected to her. I don´t like not feeling a strong and genuine connection to my parents. Does anyone else feel that way?

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
My mother is an ENFP and my dad is an INFJ.

I get along with my dad far more better then with my mom. My relationship with both of has been quite unsteady these past few years though.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Dad is an ENTJ. It's smooth sailing getting along with him, though I wouldn't call him a close confidant.

Mom is an ENFP. Getting along with her is like traversing a minefield on a sunny spring day. The sun is warm, the breeze is cool, you're making progress and feeling good about it, and then you step on that mine...

·
Banned
5,683 Posts
My dad is an ESTP and I get along with him ok, but not great. My mom is an ISFJ and I usually don't get along with her well. It's argument after argument and has been such for the past several years. And she gets offended by almost everything I say...

Sent from Heaven using My Will

·
Registered
91 Posts
My dad is definitely an INTJ. We get along with each other very well. While he is also opinionated, he gives me room to think for myself and express my own views. He is also a good listener and is good at calming me down when I feel anxious. However, there were a few years when we weren't on good terms with each other because I was dealing with a severe mental illness, and he had trouble dealing with my mood swings. I was shocked by the change in how he behaved toward me, and it just made things worse. However, after about a couple years of recovery, we got along better again.

While my mother consistently types as an introvert, the MBTI type she gets is otherwise inconsistent. However, I'm guessing she is an ISFJ. We drive each other nuts. She gets very anxious about change and has a tendency to project. She used to assume the same things that make her less anxious would make me less anxious, which was completely the opposite. Also, she seemed to think that I was self-conscious about my appearance (well, I was, now that she mentioned it, but other than when expressing myself, I don't pay much attention to it). Additionally, she used to be concerned about me not viewing the things she cared about as important (which she framed as objectively important). However, after improving my communication skills and expressing I had a problem with those things, she has eased up on that.

·
Registered
793 Posts
ESTJ(mother) and INFJ(father, I believe)
My father left when I was very young, he cheated on my mother. So I've never had the... Most(?) relationship with him.
My mother is a tough old ESTJ, not the sharpest tool in the sheed and also not the most tolerable woman, as she has been fighting economic problems and other issues for a long time.

When I was younger I used to hate her to a point which was extreme. Her reasoning and behavior would make me want to die or stab her in her sleep. I was angry about all the things she did or wanted or demanded without a fair reason. Most of which I've learned at a later point, was due to her own issues and the tough times she was going through, both due to current, past and future issues, which she chose not to enlighten me about.

My father was always(in my eyes) the enlightend one, yet time was a bitter teacher to me and it taught me that though my relationship with my father was great at first, that was only due to the windows of time in which we met.
I haven't spoken with him in the past 7 or 8 years and it's only recently he has begun to act up again. Meaning send me birthday messages on facebook or like pictures and such.

Though I despise my mother still, I prefer pain and love, rather than absence and forgetfulness.

Reactions: FranklTheTankl

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Father: ISTJ. Get along fine, but it's almost like we're strangers. He has his own little "bubble" that is his life, and everything outside of it is irrelevant to him, and only what interests me.

Mother: ESFJ. Get along well. We always disagree on method regarding any subject, but when it comes down to it, we have the exact same views and want the same results.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
hmm, will be guessing game,

My dad, likely INTP. Never got to see him live life to the fullest, because of and as, my mom, is undefinably damaged type.

·
Banned
339 Posts
We get along a lot better now that I'm not living with them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My mum is ISFJ, we get along very well. I have been a momma's boy my entire life and we share a lot of complaints about our lives. We both feel...no, know we're smarter than most other people in our lives, lol. We connect on the level of humour and we're always laughing together. She's always willing to help me when I need something. Her practical and warm nature help my clumsy INTP-ness off the ground. I don't open up to her very much but more so than my father.

My dad is, I believe (since he hasn't taken it but I am planning on getting him to take the MBTI test), an ENFP, or something like that. We were always more distant, especially when I was younger, but now we like each other. I am far less close to him but he's more like an entertaining buddy. We both occasionally chit-chat about politics and history. He's always watching and reading alternative news and so on, but he's not a typical tinfoiler and we both joke about Alex Jones and the usual buzzwords. My brother is completely politically illiterate and he and I like to walk up to him and accuse him of being a Zionist spy or a reptilian. Lol. He and I are the two family members who are heavily nostalgic and I like to ask him about his upbringing in Yugoslav Bosnia. My father is not a close confidant of any kind, but we get along pretty well.

All in all we get along. Our family, I'm happy to say, has become more stable over the years.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
my mom is an ISTJ
and my dad is an INTJ
as an ENTP my relationship with my dad is better but he view me as a pet maybe I am fighting more with my mom but she view me as a person.
both are soo controlling and I am quite rebellious......
but we are all very close

Reactions: LaunchOctopus

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
My mom is an ISFJ 6w7 sp/so(either 621 or 641). She's probably on of the people I hold dearest to me, our personalities balance each other out really well. It's nice because she's fun and easy to debate with and discuss philosophical topics with, though I can sometimes become overwhelmed by her emotions since she vents to me a lot and because she won't solve some of her external problems because of fear of change.

My dad is an ENFP 4w3 so/sx (478). He gets along with me, I don't get along with him. Despite both of us being artsy and idealistic, we don't have a lot of similar interests and he's fairly self centered, so conversations just tend to drag along. He also has npd, so he tends to project a lot, though never at me (at least to my face). It's strange, but in the family, I seem to be the one he gets along with most, though I'm assuming it's because I'm the only other one in the family with high Ne.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I think my mom is an ESFJ. We actually get along pretty well despite having opposite MBTI personalities. With her being Fe-Ti and me being Ti-Fe we see the world slightly different, but overall we agree on a lot of things. The only problem I really have with her is she can be flakey at times(I know, it's ironic that a perceiver is calling a judger flakey).

My dad I think is an ESTP. I didn't like him when I was a kid since he had anger management problems, but as an adult I get along with him pretty well. I'm naturally an absent-minded, maladaptive daydreamer, but he's taught me the importance of paying attention to things and being aware of my surroundings, and I'm thankful for that.

·
Registered
367 Posts
My father: ENFP, Generally good, but he can be clingy and intense and constantly asks me if I'm okay and tells me he wishes he could solve my problems.

My mother: INTP, though she often strikes me as being ISTP-like. We think alike in many ways, but she can be cold and domineering.

In general terms I get on extremely well with both of them. Currently, I'm not rich enough to move out, so I interact with them a lot, but they're happy for me to be there and I've (almost) given up feeling embarrassed about still living at home. It's just the way things are right now. In some ways I'm lucky and should be more grateful.

·
Registered
307 Posts
ISTJ Mom, and I *think* my dad's an INTJ.
ISTJ brother.
I get along better with my brother than with my mother (though we, from time to time, come to understand each other). I get along really well with my dad, though he's quite a bit distanced (I'm the one who calls him, he never calls me).
It's interesting being the only extrovert in a family of introverts....

·
Registered
623 Posts
Dad: xSTJ (I really want to say ESTJ). Strict during my childhood. Distant, gets mad easily& doesn't know how to approach me at times. But he can be nurturing during hectic times.

Mom: INFP. She's a good mother: easygoing, understands my sense of humor, empathetic. We get along, but it's never been easy for her to know what's going on with me.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
ISTJ Mom, and I *think* my dad's an INTJ.
ISTJ brother.
I get along better with my brother than with my mother (though we, from time to time, come to understand each other). I get along really well with my dad, though he's quite a bit distanced (I'm the one who calls him, he never calls me).
It's interesting being the only extrovert in a family of introverts....
I am the only extrovert in my family as well

just discovered that both of my siblings are ISFP (by the way they are twins, not identical twins, but it is still cool)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts