Personality Cafe banner
121 - 140 of 185 Posts
Truth is an alienating concept. Behind the wise words, the applied theories, the behaviors, the fallacies, the poetry, the movements, the rage, the calls, the inspirations, the deceptions ... there'll always be a struggle between your inner light and shadows.

You'll create your own eclipses, shadowing your good deeds, or breaking your bad habits. You'll see diformed people, in faces or sentences and will resent them for not being able to inspire your own need of becoming. You will not know greatness, as your achievements or good judgments will always be criticized by the next analyzing mind en vogue on medium. At most, you'll gather likes or back pats. A higher figure salary. A larger space to fill whatever your ego needs in ever increasing quantity

You will not know true despair, as death takes it all away. You'll be your own sun and moon, forever pondering why one aspect is frightening the other. These are your crux, and the treasure. Knowing that eternity is a pattern of beauty and pain, forever repeated in different languages, in different art forms, in different times ... but you'll always remain the sole architect. The modeler. The artist.

You are your own fate.

Now breathe. It's not so bad, is it ?
Very insightful and exciting to read, I enjoy the pace of your writing - the last few lines were my fave :)
I have Anthony Hopkins voice narrating in my mind as I was reading this for some peculiar reason

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sygma
Very insightful and exciting to read, I enjoy the pace of your writing - the last few lines were my fave :)
I have Anthony Hopkins voice narrating in my mind as I was reading this for some peculiar reason

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Lol thanks sweetie, for some reason I had @Windblownhair's cadence in mind while being in the mood of laying down some words !

And Anthony Hopking no less ? I might be french but you sure as hell are the charmer right now ;)

Something something Nosce te ipsum

It's been a full year since this thread was started and I'm pretty proud of everything that got written by everybody in this thread and also.... I haven't furthered my novels one bit! Lol

New prompt: "This was a crux and the treasure. This was the meeting of light and dark. This was the everything."
At Peace
when the shadow feels the light
and suddenly everything is alright
life goes smooth, it flows in an eternal embrace
the clock stops and you win the race
where there are no losers in this place
of shadow recognized, reconciled
when the tame becomes wild
or the wild tamed
and there is no one to blame
not even yourself
transformation takes place
when balance is maintained
but oh, for the struggle it is real
perfect poise
make some noise
an eon in a breath
cheat death
away with despair
inhale the air
breathe in the light and the dark
and be at peace

I had my brush in one hand, palette in the other. It was a canvas I had repainted white that my mom didn't need, since she was too busy with day to day stuff to be able to paint. There was still a trace of the old painting underneath the layer of white, it was a big round ring spanning across that peace of art. I thought I could do something with that, so I started painting inside the ring. A dark cave started to form, sand filled the ground, and outside the cave, turquoise ocean and blue sky emerged. On the middle of the cave wall, some of the sun's rays hit a spot in such a way that the light reflected back at me. In the ocean, far away, a dark ship was anchored.

I took two steps back, and there it was, the Ying and Yang. The finishing touches involved the setting of a black steel window rim around the scene, with a handle that invited you to open it up and jump right in. Above the window, a black curtain rail was placed, with light a light curtain flowing down from it, resting at the side of the window. You see, you could try to pull the curtain to cover the window, but good luck with that, it won't budge, the view will remain, unless you'll pick up the brush. I left the painting there, the message will come across in due time. An so it did, "very fitting", said my mom.

You'll create your own eclipses, shadowing your good deeds, or breaking your bad habits.
You'll be your own sun and moon, forever pondering why one aspect is frightening the other.
*sigh* I love the theme you wove in there.:heart: Encapsulating universes in a person is so evocative.

Lol thanks sweetie, for some reason I had @Windblownhair's cadence in mind while being in the mood of laying down some words !
:kitteh: Ahhh so ridiculously happy :kitteh:

Discussion starter · #126 ·
Thread bump! This is the companion thread to “Writer’s Corner”. If you read these, please let people know with a thanks or with a criticism or comment—- we need it! Writers here need encouragement (yes, me included and definitely me included).

Reactions: ai.tran.75
Prompt: I forgot something at the library

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Llyralen
Discussion starter · #128 ·
Reactions: ai.tran.75
Discussion starter · #129 ·
@burning soul.

Reactions: burningsoul
I'll try one. Starting with the different genre/voice
I don't really dabble much in romance, so this will be challenging. I hope it's not bad.
I'll use this a springboard: Meredith wondered if her wedding day was more about herself or her mother.
It will be based loosely on my own life:
Is it okay if I don't use the sentence verbatim?

Meredith sat at a local cafe gazing at the view of the beach upon which the evening waves of the Irish sea were now ascending and receding on the brown sand. She heard the familiar buzz of her phone going off. Upon seeing that it was her mom, decided not to answer.
Her fiance, Dan was at work, and she was spending time to herself before the arrival of her mother. After finishing her Cafe Americana and scone, she decided to walk along the beach, flashing back to her life.

When she met Dan, she was visiting a friend of hers, in a town near Blackpool. He didn't catch her attention, as he was shy and introverted, keeping to his own thoughts. It became known that he was a programmer, and having an interest in programming herself, she drew his attention.

The phone buzzed again, so she decided to answer it.
"Yes mom"
"Meredith, I've been trying to call all day. Are you sure, you got the right flowers? You know they should be arranged on each table and..."
"Mom we're not arranging flowers."
"WHAT? You have to get flowers. You know, you and Dan have never been married, so you should make sure you get it right. You need flowers, and make sure, he has a suit. Did you even get gloves? If you don't get all the details right, you're going to look back on this day and regret it!"
Meredith sighed. "Yes mom," she replied.

Meredith took a walk towards a few charity shops. She found some of the more obscure charity shops incrediby charming. She liked being unable to predict what kind of finds she could produce from such a place, from a classic Wonder Woman lunchbox, to a creepy home made doll, to kitchen utensils she had not seen anywhere else. She would look at the items and daydreamed.

She remembered when she went there with Dan after watching a film at the Cinema. She pulled out a particularly phallic looking device asking "Do you think this might have been someone's granny's sex toy?" to which Dan laughed, and Meredith became disgusted at the thought she, herself introduced. They had dated for a year at this point, and were about to celebrate their anniversary at a Chinese place.

The phone buzzed again. Meredith sighed. "Meredith. Good news! I looked up some flower places over there. I'll be able to help you out with this!!!"

"Mom you're not listening!..."

Her mom interrupted. "Wait wait, I think they're about to board the plane. I'll see you when I get there. Love you."

Meredith sighed. She decided to go Dan's place to unwind. Dan stayed with his family in order to save money for them to buy a house once the Visa application process was finished. Meredith rejoiced at the smell of eggs, sausage, bacon and beans. It was one of her favorite dinners.
"Well, at least mom can't disturb me while flying," Meredith joked to Dan, making Dan chuckle. "You know she's going to pay for our flowers."
"I thought we weren't going to have flowers. Tsk tsk, your mum always seems to think she's made of money doesn't she?"
"At this point, I think we'd just as easily elope, Dan. Why don't we elope tonight, and surprise mom?"
"I'm game for it."
The phone rang again.
"Yes mom."
"I only have a couple of hours left on my layover, and we can discuss the details...."
"Mom, you know, I think you're making this wedding about yourself! You're making it about your own failing to get married to get married, and I can't take it anymore."
"Well if that's how you feel why am I even coming? I shouldn't even be your mom!"
"Mom!"
"No, I'm just stupid. I'm just and idiot! I should have died long ago!!!"
"Mom!"
"You just have your wedding"
"Mom, it's all fine."
"No, it's not fine!!!!!"
"It's fine. I'm telling you. It was just a little emotional outburst due to stress. I didn't mean it."
"YES YOU DID" her mom cried.
"I really didn't it's okay, really,"
"I gotta go," replied her mom, and hung up.
Meredith sighed. "You know Dan. I'll just let mom do as she wants. I mean, in the long run, I won't remember the details as much as I'll remember the people anyway."
Meredith knew her mom had many issues, and she couldn't help her with a single one.

Discussion starter · #131 ·
@dulcinea I think that’s great writing! Good conflict and I found all the details interesting, like the charity shop items. It was just the right amount of plot and description for me! I’m so glad you chose to add to this thread! Thank you very much for sharing a bit of your writing!

Reactions: dulcinea
@dulcinea I think that’s great writing! Good conflict and I found all the details interesting, like the charity shop items. It was just the right amount of plot and description for me! I’m so glad you chose to add to this thread! Thank you very much for sharing a bit of your writing!
Thank you so much. it's incredibly encouraging. I need to keep in practice, to improve, but I get terrible writer's block sometimes in my own writing.

Discussion starter · #133 ·
Thank you so much. it's incredibly encouraging. I need to keep in practice, to improve, but I get terrible writer's block sometimes in my own writing.
I really did find that this thread helped me a lot to get feeling more comfortable and “get back” into the habit of writing more. And good writers need encouragement! How do you know how it reads to others if you don’t get feedback?

Reactions: dulcinea
Prompt: I forgot something at the library
The house looked perfectly ordinary but for the large tent laid on the ground in front of it. Besides the tent, the lighting equipment sat like a sad, sulking abandoned child. It was 10 o’clock in the morning already. A man shouted at someone on his mobile phone, maybe about the tent, perhaps something else. Guests packed the five rooms of the house. Someone was always talking about the schedule of the day that was already running an hour late. Middle-aged men sat idly chattering in the rooms. Women worked with a purpose in the kitchen. Girls helped serve refreshments. Some were learning to cook. Younger men were outside already making plans for the night. Children played in the front yard. The maids were always cleaning utensils in the yard behind the kitchen. They would have accomplished a great number of washed utensils by the end of the day. Clothes hanged to dry on wires. The clouds had rendered their drying machine powerless.

He sat in the corner of the terrace of the single-story house, terrified of the day ahead of him. He rummaged through his bag and realized he forgot something at the library.

Discussion starter · #136 ·
Reactions: burningsoul
Is the last prompt I forgot something at the library?

The day started out normal enough. I went to class, and worked a short shift at the library. At first, everything seemed normal. The usual bunch of people came in and out, and we performed our usual shift duties.
Around an hour before my shift was supposed to end, however, is when I started to notice some strange things happening around the library. First, I started to hear the alarm indicating that someone entered the library while I was in the back, but when arrived in the front, I didn't see anyone. This happened about two or three times within a ten minute span, then when not hearing it go off for a while, I figured it might have merely been a glitch.
I went back to my usual duties, when I heard a thud in the back of the library, so I went to check. Again I didn't see anyone, but I felt chills down every crevasse of my body with the intrusive feeling that someone was staring at me. I turned around and there was no one there. Again this happened, not long later, but this time, I heard footsteps. I knew now. Someone was messing with me.
However. The rest of the evening went on without incident, thus, I started to let my guard down. I ended the shift, locked the library, and prepared to head home. I wasn't particularly tired that evening, but I was looking forward to watching a movie, propping my feet up, and having a nice relaxing evening.
When arrived at my car, I realized I forgot something at the library. It was my keys. I decided to go back to the library, but while I was almost there, a pair of enormous hands grabbed hold of me. The man who held me was holding a large butcher's knife as he whispered into my ear. "Don't scream" I felt sick to my stomach, convinced this would be last night alive. I started to struggle, but he started to push the knife further into my body, and the shearing pain of it convinced me to stop struggling.
Every moment of this experience felt like hours, as I saw glimpses and flashes of past experiences. Before I knew it, I started fall, and the man lost grip of his knife. Before I knew what was happening, a strange man helped me up from where I was. He said he saw what was happen, but was hidden from view, and thus took an opportunity to attack the man. He called the police as we went into our respective cars.
It wasn't until days later that I found out what the person was trying to do. He was a serial killer known to target young women working in isolated areas getting off from work. He was known to kidnap women in places that would typically be in plain sight, but he studied people's habits and worked his kidnappings around his knowledge of places that would be the least busy at any given time.
I was so grateful for the man who helped me in that parking lot, shuddering on what would have happened otherwise.

I should drop off a prompt as well, should I not:

I just did something that I never believed I would end up doing.

I should drop off a prompt as well, should I not:

I just did something that I never believed I would end up doing.
“I’m bored .” Tony said to me
“ You’re always bored .” I told him
“ Tommy is having a party at his house, but no girls are allowed, so I’m stuck here with you .” My brother told me as he smacked the side of my head and walked away .
“ Do you want to play Guess Who? “ I asked him
“ Guess who are for babies .”
“ Why can’t I come along to your party ?”
“ Because you’re a girl duh !”
“ Because you’re a girl duh !” I mimicked him
“ What do you want to play then ? “
“ Leave me alone you moron !” Tony said as he slammed the door at my face .
“My name is Arlene !” I said stomping my feet
“ Whatever moron !”
I picked up my iPad and asked “Siri ? What does moron means? “
“ Moron is an informal term, it means a stupid person .” Siri retorted back . I tossed the tablet onto the floor .
Tony and I used to be close - until he entered the 6th grade. When I was a baby , Tony would push me around in my stroller for hours, last year - he lets me play with his legos and blocks and we would play pretend super hero and slide down the stairs on a pillow together.
Sadly, that all changed last month - he’s in the sixth grade now and sixth graders don’t play with 9 years old girl .
Tonight was our parents anniversary , they went out to eat snails at some fancy French restaurant, grown ups are so weird - I never understood why anyone would pay so much to eat snails and drink nail polish remover.

Suddenly ! An idea came across my mind .
I quickly ran down to our basement and grabbed the Ouija board that I heard Tony telling his friends about last week while we were walking to school .
“ Tony! I have a great idea !” I said knocking at his door “ I bet if you brought the Ouija board to the party they’ll let me tag along .” I said
He opened the door to his room and said “ Ok ok you can tag along if you want, happy ?”
We packed our stuff and started walking over to Tommy’s house . When we got there - Tommy opened the door and said “ Hey Tony , hello little Arlene .” He teases me
“ I’m 9 years old !” I said to him
Tommy and Tony laughed - “ Come on let’s climb up to the treehouse in the backyard !”
“ Guess what I found in my dads basement ! “ Tony said to Tommy
“You mean, I found it .” I reminded him
“ Shut up !” Tony said glaring at me
I followed them up to the treehouse - there were 2 other boys up in the treehouse already - Seth who visit my house often some other guy in a red hoodie

“Seth, Felix, this is Tony’s baby sister , she’s tagging along bc she can’t be home alone on her own - she’s only 9 !”
The boys laughed . I glared at them .
“Who wants to play first ?”
“ I will!” I said
“ Who wants to play with Arlene !” Tommy shouted
Nobody said anything .
“ I’ll play with the moron , she’s my sister after all.”
Tony said.
All the boys laughed .
I’m not a stupid person , I thought to myself .
“ Ok guys - it’s 8 now so we only have an hour to play- let’s see first place your hand and fingers into the planchette “ Seth read the direction aloud .
“ Are you real?” I asked the board .
We waited for a while then the planchette started moving ...
“ Whoa did you do that ?” I asked Tony
He looked at me in the eyes and said “ No .”
“ Is my favorite color red ?” Tony asked
The planchette spelled B L U E
The boys moved closer to the board
“ Ask the board something scary !” Felix said
“ Are you a ghost ?” I asked
“ stupid question, call up Bloody Mary !” Tommy said
“ Can you call out Bloody Mary ?” Tony asked
The planchette moved to maybe and pointed to the number 3 .
“ Maybe it wants you to call out her name 3 times “ Seth said .
“ Bloody Mary ...” Tony and I said together slowly “ Bloody Mary...Bloody Mary .....”

“ Im here , you called for me .” I said in an extremely low raspy voice
“Arlene stop playing around .” Tony said
I turned my head to him and locked eyes with him “Tony help !” I said in my normal voice and then I changed my voice back to raspy “ Arlene won’t be here much longer- but do you guys want to play ???” I stood up and my body started shaking “ Get out of me ...I won’t - you summoned - I’m thirsty for blood tonight .” I turned my head to Tommy and smiled “ I heard you guys said no girls allowed in this party ,
I’ll get rid of Arlene...No please don’t ....yes yes ..I’m thirsty for blood .”
“ Tony ask the board to take her away when you can !” I said in a nervous voice “ No my child - we share a body now , my soul is within you .” I said grabbing my head and grinning at Tommy , Seth and Felix .
The boys screamed .
“Tony do something !” Felix stuttered
“ Can you make Bloody Mary to go away !” Seth said to the Ouija board “ I think it wants Tony ! “
“ Tony ask the board to make Bloody Mary go away ! Hurry “ Tommy urges .
“ Can you make Bloody Mary go away!” Tony asked nervously - his face was pale .
“ Never!” I said laughing aloud hysterically and tossed the board at the boys “ Can’t believe you guys really believe that, gotcha !”
Tommy laughed and said “ Good one Arlene - you totally fooled us , especially Tony , you’re pretty neat! I wish I had a sister like you .” And gave me a high five .
“ Hey Tony ! Are you scared ?” I said giggling
“ I’m telling mom.” Tony said
“ She won’t believe you, moron!” I winked at him . I surprise myself sometimes , I just did something that I never believed I would end up doing.

Discussion starter · #140 ·
What an awesome moment when you yelled “Never!” All of it had me smiling and remembering what it is like to be a kid @ai.tran.75

This is a good promo @dulcinea ! I want to get to it too, but Iv been thinking of the library one, so I will probably try to do both.

121 - 140 of 185 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.