Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, fellow writers!
I want this to be a place for us to discus our writing process, share writer's tips, and maybe do some inspiration kind of exercise things like "writer's prompts" and other games to get us limbered up for writing our masterwork!

Every few days there will be:
#1 A writer's discussion topic. There could possibly be a link to a blog, video, or podcast., but doesn't have to be.
#2. A writer's prompt. These are meant to be spring-boards for a short paragraph or short story or poem, something to get you loosened up for writing those masterworks.

The more we all post and share ideas with each other the better.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
You be careful, Alesha, or you're going to cure me of my writer's block. It has been keeping me from going back to my novel for months now.

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You be careful, Alesha, or you're going to cure me of my writer's block. It has been keeping me from going back to my novel for months now.
Cure yours and mine! We will find an antidote! Any ideas of what you want from a writer's corner? We can make it what we want. Please feel free to message any fellow writers about this. Summon them here!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Cure yours and mine! We will find an antidote! Any ideas of what you want from a writer's corner? We can make it what we want. Please feel free to message any fellow writers about this. Summon them here!
INFJ writers are very stingy with their work. I only know of @odinthor from our forum.

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reactions: ENFPurpleKitti

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
What about a separate spot for poems? A writer's prompt etc for poets.

Is there anyone who is learning poetry from scratch? I am doing that with a book, lesson by lesson.
It is great if we reallylearn something.

Maybe we can even publish them on a website.

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about a separate spot for poems? A writer's prompt etc for poets.

Is there anyone who is learning poetry from scratch? I am doing that with a book, lesson by lesson.
It is great if we reallylearn something.

Maybe we can even publish them on a website.
Yes, I don't see why not. I used to use a website to get my poetry brain going... lets see if I can find the link....

This isn't that one I used to use. The one I liked had words that looked like poetry magnets.
But maybe it's helpful...https://www.robertpeake.com/prompts

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Yes, I don't see why not. I used to use a website to get my poetry brain going... lets see if I can find the link....

This isn't that one I used to use. The one I liked had words that looked like poetry magnets.
But maybe it's helpful...https://www.robertpeake.com/prompts
That is neat! When I was a child my teacher would give my friend and I extra assignments. She'd give us a large picture and we'd write about it. I think I used to do stories...

Is this what you're looking for? BBC - Arts - Poetry
I only started to find these 'games' online recently. :courage:

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, @raschel lets think this one out. I'm thinking of every few days putting up 3 things.
#1 a link to a writing topic video or a writing topic podcast or blog with a topic for us to discuss.
#2 Posting a (prose) writing prompt
#3. Posting a poem writing prompt.
In some ways this is tough to have on the NF forum, usually people just got to their 4 tyoes... but I want as much diversity as possible. That way we get more writing stimulation.
What do you think?

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
@Alesha

Btw, the BBC game does not work for me as I use my phone... but wish i could-- the page looks awesome..

Can I see an example of a video topic?

I realize you have the word discussion in the thread title, not exactly sure what that would entail. Maybe critique like a film..
But anyway I was thinking of a place where we all just learn together and get down to work and produce some things.
We would share what we write or works we really like, according to whatever lesson or theme we are working on at that time.

The person who picks the theme could change each week.
It is nice to do it for fun, something silly. Short, exercises, games...
or serious I suppose =)
almost for children...
(In fact this BBC poetry kit is a real physical thing! It's what I was searchingfor before I got to the online version. I was specifically checking out the French magnetic poetry kit.)

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think these are great ideas @raschel. Yes, I would love for help with the topics, discussion, prompts. Since this thread is kind of continuous and it's got to be something where people just jump in... I think it's got to be just a continuous "writer's discussion" and "prompts". Very fluid, since there can't be any sub-subjects or whatever... But we will all get to know each other and get to encourage each other and bounce ideas off of each other... or try lines out...get critique on things that are tough or if we're stuck...

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First topic: What makes a good first paragraph... a good first chapter?
Look here for a few ideas if you would like: Writing Excuses Episode 4: Beginnings | Writing Excuses

First writing prompt: "He/she looked at his/her face in the mirror...." Use this to describe a character... just a writer's exercise.

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First topic: What makes a good first paragraph... a good first chapter?

I do think it's like the first chapter is the promise of what the whole book is going to entail. Like you get to know WHO you're dealing with, introducing characters. Then you should get a sense of what we're dealing with like... is there political intregue? war? magic? love? If so, all of that needs to have a part in that first chapter.
I heard about a book getting accepted based on the author's first chapter and then rejected later. The first chapter was about a character never seen again, and the publishers were like, "Hey we wanted that book, the funny one about a goofy boy. Not the one about the tough mountain man"
What do you think?

·
Delphic Seer
18,076 Posts
This turned out to be truly inspirational, even though I’m not a poet in any way, shape or from.

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Currently in the throes of Nanowrimo. Fun but exhausting. Looking forward to tackling something shorter come December. Love all the stuff you’re posting! Very inspirational.
Are you doing the national novel month? What's your word count at? Has it been a good experience for you?

Reactions: Windblownhair

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Are you doing the national novel month? What's your word count at? Has it been a good experience for you?
I am! I’m currently at 45k, and par is 40k, so I’m a little ahead. This generally happens to me towards the end. I stick to the word count for most of the month and at the end I get excited and pull ahead.

I adore Nanowrimo. It’s been a game changer for me. I did my first one November 2015, and I’ve done every Nanowrimo and Camp Nanowrimo since then.

For me, the big difference was learning to stop editing and rewriting my stories into oblivion. I would spend an hour on a paragraph, or rewrite the same scene over and over, and in general make very slow progress in the search for perfection. The insane daily word count for Nanowrimo didn’t allow for that kind of writing...the entire first draft was down before I even thought about editing or rewriting. Writing was exhilarating. I learned to push through the parts I usually skipped, to keep going at the point I liked abandoning stories, and just to write more and finish more. I know it isn’t the process for everyone, but for me it helped me find the groove I needed to become a finisher.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
The crazy thing is that the first paragraph/ chapter isn't necessarily the first thing you write.

I haven't written any story/ poem in a long while, but I edit for my writer friend. We'd finished working on his latest short story when he came up with a cool first paragraph. A quick background about the story because it's a sci-fi. The magazine editor was so impressed, she had it published immediately, both in the magazine and a spreadsheet.

The funny part is, it was already published before I could see the first part, and there were some grammatical errors in it. :rolleyes:

Shameless self-promotion of sorts.
https://businessmirror.com.ph/cyns-dream

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can definitely see the merits of going forward with writing and then going back and adding to the beginning.

Reactions: Stable Genius

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I'm a poet, but I really really need help from story writers. I notice creative writers are naturally either inclined to write poetry, or stories, but will feel the other is their Achille's heal. I've honed my poetic skill since I was a child, yet I have so many ideas for stories, I feel I could do so much with stories and find ways to add my love of poetry into it to make it even more meaningful to me

I have a hard time knowing how to start. I judge myself too harshly. I think that's a trait every artist has. It's just that with poetry, I understand the core of it already. If my poetry is bad, I know why and how to change it. If I'm freewriting or writing drafts and the writing is bad, it's ok because I know where I'm going with it. But I'm 24 just now trying to start writing stories and it's like I have to start from the perspective of an elementary kid

I realize that stressing myself out will only prevent me from being able to write at all. We can't let stress get us down. We have to just sit down and write. But these ideas I have, I have no idea where to start...I have concepts for stories, vignettes, characters, themes, and I feel like I could one day be good at writing stories, but how does one start?

So I'm asking you story writers, how do you personally start writing a story? When you have that concept in mind, where do you go from there? What exercises help inspire you further?

maybe I'm hurting myself by looking at them as so vastly different. Though the way I see it, story is the drawing, poetry is the whitespace. I have to find a way to enter into story writing in a way that stirs my passion for poetry at the same time

1 - 20 of 257 Posts