Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys ever just see a thread you can totally relate to, write a long as hell response, and then just end up closing the page before you go through with it?

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like I tend to be in the middle of my post and then change my mind about submitting it because it feels somewhat awkward. I know this forum is not very critical of others, but I still feel embarrassed sometimes. That, or I'm unable to find the right words to describe my emotions and I cannot proceed until it's perfect.

Actually, I just caught myself thinking about not making this thread for that exact reason... Heh.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
i think it has a lot to do with the integrity of the post we are writing. When i start to question if my post really does reflect my values/perspective on the topic, i usually delete the entire thing because i'm too lazy to rework it to the way i want to. Also, if i feel my long post doesn't have much substance i also delete it..

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yes, I definitely do that sometimes. Haven't in a while, but it feels awful to write something important and then just not be able to actually say it to anybody.

·
Registered
287 Posts
We are INFP's. Perfectionists in many situations. I find that If I can not clearly articulate my feelings I also do not post.

Also I believe most of us have a tendency not to finish things... I guess if the reply was too long I would probably just get bored and wonder off. :crazy:

Reactions: Nycz and Roze

·
Registered
752 Posts
I do the same thing. I erase like 59385708157 different responses too.

I think it's because when I click with something, I immediately write based on Unfiltered Fi and in my opinion, it makes my post seem retarded and irrelevant with a lack of actual contribution. ...It might not actually be the case, but sometimes negative thinking rules my mind. :\

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Haha I do this allllll the time. This also applies to starting projects too. If I know that it won't come out the way I would like it I usually dont bother or dont start till last minute or get distracted by something I know I can accomplish perfectly...:/ I'm working on this.

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Yeah I do this a lot! I think a lot of the time it's when I'm trying to give advice to someone I worry that I don't sound sincere enough or that I know what I'm talking about so I think that I should leave it to those who know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You guys aren't alone. I might be speaking rashly by claiming that other INFJ's do it too, but I wouldn't be surprised!!

It's kind of like blurting out what we think in the physical medium of writing, but then cropping it; just like thinking through our thoughts and choosing the perfect wording before saying what we think out loud (normally by this stage the conversation has moved on... yeah, you know what I'm talking about :dry:)

·
Registered
389 Posts
I do that often. I will erase the post and type something shorter than what I wanted to say. I often do it when I feel that I might offend someone - I get caught in emotion but after reviewing my post I decide to not post it. Or I do it if I feel I sound stupid... no one likes to look stupid.
:mellow:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I was thinking...this explains my life on Facebook.

I will write a status, then often times delete it when I think of who is going to read it. Or I would sometimes want to write a status and maybe start out typing it because I know many people will find it funny or interesting but then so many might get offended or have issue with it so it never gets posted. Oh and then there's the typos that irk me... especially if someone commented because then I feel obligated to keep it up and not retype so I don't offend them.

To think I deleted a status a month ago by mistake, that someone commented on and a big part of me wants to apologize to her for doing it because I'm hoping it didnt offend her in anyway haha. I also delete statuses if no one comments or likes them lol

Reactions: Sliver

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, I also often check my post so many times, because I'm afraid of things like : offending someone accidentally, posting silly things, making grammar mistakes (my grammar is not that good anyway). Especially when I make a sarcastic post towards someone. I'm making sure that my sarcastic words won't ever be noticed by them.:tongue:

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
It's especially hard if you're on a kind of moral soapbox... because, it's killing you to let it out and you know something should be done, but you also don't want to offend someone or damage your relationship(s). By the time you finally get the right words, the appropriate timing is gone. Also, I always have to go back and edit to make sure I am making sense, that some form of logic is peeking through, that it is able to be understood by people who are not me and who are not completely driven by Fi, and of course that no one would get hurt... and by that time, it's not really me speaking at all, is it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Confrontation

I usually delete my responses on web fora because they end up being too confrontational and that just seems like too much work even though I've already done the typing.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was thinking...this explains my life on Facebook.

I will write a status, then often times delete it when I think of who is going to read it. Or I would sometimes want to write a status and maybe start out typing it because I know many people will find it funny or interesting but then so many might get offended or have issue with it so it never gets posted. Oh and then there's the typos that irk me... especially if someone commented because then I feel obligated to keep it up and not retype so I don't offend them.

To think I deleted a status a month ago by mistake, that someone commented on and a big part of me wants to apologize to her for doing it because I'm hoping it didnt offend her in anyway haha. I also delete statuses if no one comments or likes them lol
I frequently delete Facebook posts too, hoping no one noticed. Sometimes I'll like something that's posted on another website, such as sixbillionsecrets, but will delete the announcement on Facebook out of fear that people will think I'm "emo." :p

·
Registered
158 Posts
Do you guys ever just see a thread you can totally relate to, write a long as hell response, and then just end up closing the page before you go through with it?

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like I tend to be in the middle of my post and then change my mind about submitting it because it feels somewhat awkward. I know this forum is not very critical of others, but I still feel embarrassed sometimes. That, or I'm unable to find the right words to describe my emotions and I cannot proceed until it's perfect.

Actually, I just caught myself thinking about not making this thread for that exact reason... Heh.
OMG. I ALWAYS do that. Literally, like most of the time. facebook, twitter, blogger, no exception!
Guess us INFPs are just like that. :blushed:

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
There was a thread about this on the INTP forums not too long ago. It's probably for different reasons, but we seem to do this a lot too.

Both types are known for being perfectionistic...perhaps that might have something to do with it?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
-Writes a long reply
-Edits and changes a ton of stuff
-Re-write it all
-Reads it
-Deletes it and doesn't post
-Comes back next time and makes a short reply
-Starts making edits to that short reply
-Spends an hour looking for a delete post option

-Above applies to this post-

:tongue:

I have trouble explaining things most of time so it just ends up sounding stupid. :/

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
-Writes a long reply
-Edits and changes a ton of stuff
-Re-write it all
-Reads it
-Deletes it and doesn't post
-Comes back next time and makes a short reply
-Starts making edits to that short reply
-Spends an hour looking for a delete post option

-Above applies to this post-

:tongue:

I have trouble explaining things most of time so it just ends up sounding stupid. :/
I'm the same up until the sixth point. As a renowned procrastinator, I usually say I'll do it tomorrow and then either forget about it or can't be bothered to remember what I wanted to say.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts