Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have already done my own research on MBTI but I wanted to know if you have noticed any patterns between people with the same MBTI type or if you have written novels before (this one is my first) how you put yourself in different characters.

The novel is a serious western set around 1885 in the mid-west, the main character is an INFJ male with Borderline Personality Disorder. I have three antagonists; an INTP who is later redeemed, an ISTJ who is tragic and ESTP who is minor.

If you have any questions about the story ask away.
Any help would be handy and thank you for reading. :)

·
Registered
INTJ
823 Posts
Can you give a short summary or anything that would tell more about what the story is about?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
So how are you going to communicate the fact he has BPD if it's a western set in 1880s? I don't think it was even a diagnosis back then so I feel as if outright saying he had it is a bit immersion breaking.
Just be careful about the quality of the characters rather than writing a story with all 16 types just because. I think it'd suffer for it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Can you give a short summary or anything that would tell more about what the story is about?
The story is about the man's past, how it comes back to haunt him and how his reputation skews what people think of him. It is an analysis of what somebody with a mental illness may have gone through during that time period. How they had little understanding, empathy or help from others.

May I know who is this INFJ man and how is he related to the other characters?
He is a bar tender in a small town, he has a slight reputation for his temper which has got him grief from the mayor (owner of the bar) and has meant that he gets less customers than an independent establishment down the street. He is assertive, insightful, knowledgeable, decisive, altruistic, sensitive, loving, sociable and also a bit arrogant at times. Unfortunately his altruism sometimes conflicts with his temper, which can lead to self-loathing. The INTP was his best friend in the past but they had a huge falling out. ISTJ is a lawyer, they both really like an ENFP teacher and when something goes wrong, they are both in hot water. ESTP is a Snake Oils Salesman which the INFJ hates (both for what happened and his new occupation due to it going his altruism).

So how are you going to communicate the fact he has BPD if it's a western set in 1880s? I don't think it was even a diagnosis back then so I feel as if outright saying he had it is a bit immersion breaking.
Just be careful about the quality of the characters rather than writing a story with all 16 types just because. I think it'd suffer for it.
I hope to show that he struggles with his emotions more than any character (e.g. sense of sorrow and loneliness), he will begin to hear voices in his head later on the story, it will strongly implied that he has self harmed before, drinks recklessly at times, has commitment issues and can turn violent when angry. Though other men may drink and get emotional, his mental condition will be shown to be far worse. You raised a valid point in the second sentence and it helped me to think more about my characters so thank you.

Thank you all so much for the interest and the help, it is currently in it's early stages so it is subject to change.

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
In general I've seen plenty of fictional ISTPs portrayed as antiheroes.

1,239 Posts
I like the idea :)

But yeah as retsu said, I think putting every type in it would be a bad idea, although I think its cool that you gave the characters MBTI types, it should help you have more consistent characters.

Also you probably know this already, but don't mention MBTI in the story lmao, that would be bad.

But the stuff about struggling with something that no one at that time understands sounds really awesome!

INFJs have an underlying fear that people around them have malicious intent, so maybe this could bubble up more when his mental health regresses (so like paranoia)

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
ENTP is probably the friend of both the INTP and the protagonist, essentially the only thing keeping the two from being outright leaving each other, reputation of his/her attention span is similar to protagonist's rep for temper. Also "knows" protagonist does self-destructive shit, but won't tell anyone cuz whyso. Also probably the person to go to an asylum to showcase how bad people with mental illness was treated back then. Then return all kinds of fucked up.

Add/subtract whatever you please. Most likely add an inventor, don't for ironic hilarity.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In general I've seen plenty of fictional ISTPs portrayed as antiheroes.
Thanks for letting me know. I have a character who is ISTP and definitely has shades of grey.

I like the idea :)

But yeah as retsu said, I think putting every type in it would be a bad idea, although I think its cool that you gave the characters MBTI types, it should help you have more consistent characters.

Also you probably know this already, but don't mention MBTI in the story lmao, that would be bad.

But the stuff about struggling with something that no one at that time understands sounds really awesome!

INFJs have an underlying fear that people around them have malicious intent, so maybe this could bubble up more when his mental health regresses (so like paranoia)
I've begun to rethink about some of my characters and find ones that serve no purpose to the main storyline.
:laughing: It's alright wasn't going to tell the audience the MBTI type.

Thank you for the compliment on my work and your point on INFJ was very informative. :happy:

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I have already done my own research on MBTI but I wanted to know if you have noticed any patterns between people with the same MBTI type or if you have written novels before (this one is my first) how you put yourself in different characters.

The novel is a serious western set around 1885 in the mid-west, the main character is an INFJ male with Borderline Personality Disorder. I have three antagonists; an INTP who is later redeemed, an ISTJ who is tragic and ESTP who is minor.

If you have any questions about the story ask away.
Any help would be handy and thank you for reading. :)
I put myself in different characters by giving at least one aspect of my motivations and feelings (which are not MBTI-related) to each character, this way I can write them with the same conviction and persuasiveness as I write characters more similar to me in personality. Most of my protagonists tend to be intuitives, though. I tend to make the sensors more opaque, as in, I don't try to get inside their heads as much and when I do, they are things universal to most humans, or parts of myself that I injected into them. I think in one of my ensemble clast, my "POV characters" are two INTJs, an ENFJ, an INFP, an ESTP and an ISTJ.

That said, I don't see why you have to write all 16 types in. MBTI is just one way of looking at people after all. It's not the universal truth, and trust me, writing an ensemble cast is hard enough without imposing conditions like this. I recently watched an anime with a GREAT ensemble cast (one of the best executions you'll ever see) with two ISTJs and not enough important characters to fill the MBTI.

Reactions: Enygmatic

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
I suppose if you're gonna put an ISTP character in your story, one good fictional character to compare to is John Marston from Red Dead Redemption. The game takes place in the Old West and Marston is commonly typed as am ISTP.

·
Registered
INTJ
823 Posts
The story is about the man's past, how it comes back to haunt him and how his reputation skews what people think of him. It is an analysis of what somebody with a mental illness may have gone through during that time period. How they had little understanding, empathy or help from others.

He is a bar tender in a small town, he has a slight reputation for his temper which has got him grief from the mayor (owner of the bar) and has meant that he gets less customers than an independent establishment down the street. He is assertive, insightful, knowledgeable, decisive, altruistic, sensitive, loving, sociable and also a bit arrogant at times. Unfortunately his altruism sometimes conflicts with his temper, which can lead to self-loathing. The INTP was his best friend in the past but they had a huge falling out. ISTJ is a lawyer, they both really like an ENFP teacher and when something goes wrong, they are both in hot water. ESTP is a Snake Oils Salesman which the INFJ hates (both for what happened and his new occupation due to it going his altruism).

I hope to show that he struggles with his emotions more than any character (e.g. sense of sorrow and loneliness), he will begin to hear voices in his head later on the story, it will strongly implied that he has self harmed before, drinks recklessly at times, has commitment issues and can turn violent when angry. Though other men may drink and get emotional, his mental condition will be shown to be far worse. You raised a valid point in the second sentence and it helped me to think more about my characters so thank you.

Thank you all so much for the interest and the help, it is currently in it's early stages so it is subject to change.
Interesting.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ENTP is probably the friend of both the INTP and the protagonist, essentially the only thing keeping the two from being outright leaving each other, reputation of his/her attention span is similar to protagonist's rep for temper. Also "knows" protagonist does self-destructive shit, but won't tell anyone cuz whyso. Also probably the person to go to an asylum to showcase how bad people with mental illness was treated back then. Then return all kinds of fucked up.

Add/subtract whatever you please. Most likely add an inventor, don't for ironic hilarity.
Thank you so much for letting me know about the INFJ-INTP-ENTP bond, I can definitely see how I could use that in my story to create depth in the relationships and the characters themselves.

I put myself in different characters by giving at least one aspect of my motivations and feelings (which are not MBTI-related) to each character, this way I can write them with the same conviction and persuasiveness as I write characters more similar to me in personality. Most of my protagonists tend to be intuitives, though. I tend to make the sensors more opaque, as in, I don't try to get inside their heads as much and when I do, they are things universal to most humans, or parts of myself that I injected into them. I think in one of my ensemble clast, my "POV characters" are two INTJs, an ENFJ, an INFP, an ESTP and an ISTJ.

That said, I don't see why you have to write all 16 types in. MBTI is just one way of looking at people after all. It's not the universal truth, and trust me, writing an ensemble cast is hard enough without imposing conditions like this. I recently watched an anime with a GREAT ensemble cast (one of the best executions you'll ever see) with two ISTJs and not enough important characters to fill the MBTI.
Thanks you very much for the advice. I have decided that I am no longer using all MBTI types due to it creating characters that are not needed and making it harder than it has to be. Unfortunately I do not know how to change the title. What is the anime called?

I suppose if you're gonna put an ISTP character in your story, one good fictional character to compare to is John Marston from Red Dead Redemption. The game takes place in the Old West and Marston is commonly typed as am ISTP.
At the moment my ISTP is a woman but there are a few characters of mine which were partly inspired by Marston's swagger and confidence.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Thank you so much for letting me know about the INFJ-INTP-ENTP bond, I can definitely see how I could use that in my story to create depth in the relationships and the characters themselves.
INTJ vs. ENTP | Prelude Character Analysis
INTP vs. ENTP | Prelude Character Analysis

So pretty much the dynamic would be based on debating, and sometimes the ENTP brings random people into said debate, most of the time it's the INTP-person and both don't realize they were arguing with each other, which the ENTP-dude probably finds absolutely hilarious. But the INTJ person doesn't, the INTP kinda finds it annoying. Buuuuut, the ENTP somehow finds a way to be friends with both again everytime.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts