Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm currently writing a TV show with a main character who I suspect is an INFJ. I've done a few personality tests from her point of view on different websites (16personalities, personalityhacker etc etc) and that's the result I've got each time but I figured I'd ask the people who know INFJs better than anyone...INFJs themselves.

My character is called April and in the first season she is 21 years old, and by the sixth and final season she is almost 27. As a child, she and her older brother Sonny (I'm pretty sure he's an ENTJ) would listen to the stories their uncle, a police commissioner, would tell them about being in the LAPD in awe. Sonny wanted to bring these criminals to justice, while April wanted to be a police officer with the hope of helping people and making the world safer for everybody. Her younger brother, Jake (a possible ESTP) was less impressed by these stories, deciding instead that he wanted to be an NFL player.

Now a bit into April's character: she's little, but she's fierce. She's determined and ambitious and she knows what she wants, and she's always working towards self-improvement. Every time she achieves something, her next thought is always how she can do better next time. She's organised, always shows up to work on time and is a little bit of a neat/control freak. As a teenager, she suffered from anorexia (not that I'm saying some personality types are more likely to have eating disorders as I know full well it's not a personality trait, but anorexia is all about control, something that could be a sign of an unhealthy INFJ maybe?) which she got help for and now has under control. When she was in high school, she was popular but she confides in another character called Alex (an INFP who is her main love interest throughout the show) that she never felt like anyone really got her.

There are a few decisions she makes that are maybe a little bit chaotic. For example, she rescues a teenage prostitute from a killer and decides to get her a job at the dry cleaners one of her relatives owns, despite her captain telling her to let the case go as she'd done her job already. In another instance, she rescues a kitten from a dumpster and hides it in the tech office during inspection day. In season 2, she has a bit of a breakdown in response to trauma during which she shoots an unarmed suspect, breaks off her engagement, leaves the ring on the table next to a note saying "I'm sorry" and goes on a two-month-long bender when she eventually overdoses, gets rushed to hospital and after a psych eval is diagnosed with PTSD. She later gets help, and four years later she's married with a son and living the "perfect" life she'd always dreamed of and strived for. She even mentions in passing to her friends that her mother (a a definite Catholic ESTJ) made her and her brothers take a vow of celibacy until marriage, only for them all to break it and continue to lie to her.

She's very confident within herself and her abilities, which made me think that she might be an ENFP at one point but I'm not sure. She makes friends at her workplace quickly, but is a different person depending on who she's with. She makes friends with the two "fun" ones in the office, an ESFP female and an ENFP male, and they're the sorts of friends she goes out drinking with and dances round her apartment singing along to Taylor Swift ballads with, almost like her energy bounces off from them. Around her boyfriend Alex, the INFP I mentioned, she's a lot more emotional and raw, almost like a softer version of herself. However, when she's all alone she's perfectly happy reading classic literature or listening to music or decluttering.

So, if you're still reading, thank you! What's your opinion on her personality type, because I'm curious. I like to know what the types are for my characters so I can develop them as best I can and make them a bit more three-dimensional if that makes sense. Do you think she's an INFJ? Or is she an ENFP or ENFJ? Or maybe something completely different?

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Hmm.... I'm not sure. INFJ types have Fe which is a lot less of "I know what I want" and a lot more of "I know what other people want." However, that doesn't mean she isn't INFJ. It's just that it would probably take some nurturing in that direction for her to "always know what she wants." Fe people are the ones that you can ask, "where do you want to eat?" and they will reply with, "I don't know. Where do you want to eat?" So someone would have to be pressuring her to think that way for her to know (unless she just decided when she was younger and started making plans (and a lot of people supported her plan)).

The char seems like she could pass as an INFJ though. Just study the functions a little bit more and try to get into the mind of an INFJ. This will help you keep the character more INFJ like. A potential struggle to watch out for is INFP seems pretty close to INFJ, and they both mistype as each other. However, your character isn't going to think like you. INFP functions are Fi-Ne and INFJ functions are Ni-Fe. So it would be beneficial to study those a bit more and learn the differences so you don't accidentally make her more INFP than INFJ.

You got this, though! When it gets on netflix let me know. I'll binge watch it.

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
It's true that the INFJ's here would know about the INFJ type better than anyone. However, you know your character better than any of us. I personally didn't feel there was enough to go on in what you provided for me to come to any hard judgment about her type. I could see multiple different types for her. It's not her behavior or actions that matter so much as WHY she chooses to do the things she does. If I had a better understanding of that, it would be easier for me to gauge what the character's type might be.

I wouldn't worry too much about trying to fit your characters into one of the 16 personalities types though. I'm sure what you have is good enough on its own. Let the character be who they want to be. I feel like you're more likely to lose a dimension to the character if you're trying to force them into one of the boxes. Maybe that sounds dumb but I think that's a better method.

Reactions: odinthor
1 - 4 of 4 Posts